Forth & Clyde Carp fishing at Kelvinhead wides from far bank

Kirkyjim

I am keen to get my first double figure carp from fishing the Forth and Cylde canal. I have fished a couple of all nighters on the Forth and Clyde at Kelvinhead with only an 8lb common carp to show for me efforts.

However the guys fishing the far bank of the wides to the left of the boating platform seem to be catching some huge carp over 20lb. A regular I spoke to said the far bank is where the Scottish record carp of 34lb 12oz was taken from the Forth and Clyde canal.

Does anyone know how to get access to the far bank of the wides at Kelvinhead?

afraid not but it took Ben Mir 7 years to get that 34lb common with strict pre-baiting and stalking campaign. have a look on google maps its great for finding paths and access points you might not have seen.

they are also using chod rigs due to the heavy weed and silt.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

afraid not but it took Ben Mir 7 years to get that 34lb common with strict pre-baiting and stalking campaign. have a look on google maps its great for finding paths and access points you might not have seen.

Cheers Andy. It looks like a real hike. Better get my thinking head on.

I will have a look at the chod rigs you mentioned. Any other rigs that would reach the far bank would be appreciated.

Not often you can have big fish that size on your door step so worth a try.

What do you mean by that Andy? 7 years ago that carp didn't weigh 34lb.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Corry, obviously. i was reading a story about Bens 34lb carp and how a 7 year quest to catch a really big Scottish carp lead to the capture of his 34lb Common. just trying to point out theres a little more to location on the forth and clyde.

out of everyone i know of who fishes the Forth & Clyde Ben and his brother have to be the 2 top big carp hunters.

he recently claimed a 30lb common too. probably due to the experience he gained over the 7 years leading to his 34. i think he put about 2 or 3 weeks worth of work in to that swim he got the 30 from. seen the pics of it and it was a real whopper so fat looking its scales didnt really overlap, looked like turtle shell.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Andy. Good to hear of another 30 out of the canal.

Great moral boost for Scottish coarse fishing. I don't know why its not restocked with Carp throughout the length of the canal.

The wides is cracking spot and when you see big fish rolling it keeps the confidence up.

Can't wait to get back for another crack at them. Had carp taking dog biscuits during last warm spell when the breeze was right.

Made the mistake of putting too many out and attracting the swans though .