Hybrid or silver bream

Peter M

On tight lines this week Keith Arthur was talking to Duncan Charman and they were saying that often anglers mistake hybrids for silver bream. well i caught what i think is a roach/bream hybrid, i want to check its not a silver bream. what do others think?

post-3225-1339278514_thumb.jpg

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

On tight lines this week Keith Arthur was talking to Duncan Charman and they were saying that often anglers mistake hybrids for silver bream. well i caught what i think is a roach/bream hybrid, i want to check its not a silver bream. what do others think?

Hybrid for me. Has a very roach like look to it.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

The fish has a very deep body, and the mouth is slightly upturned. The dorsal fin is set well back.

NOT a silver bream, for sure.

It is very similar to a number of rudd-bream hybrids I have caught in the past, One batch I took along to the Natural History Museum (they were running a fact-finding exercise on cyprinid hybrids at the time) who confirmed the identification by examining the pharyngeal teeth of a couple - the rest AFAIK are still there pickled in alcohol !

For future reference, silver bream show a characteristic blue sheen along their upper sides, and something known only to those who regularly catch and handle silvers - they have VERY LITTLE SLIME - even less than roach or rudd, and certainly a lot less than bream-roach hybrids, rudd-bream hybrids or the king of the slimies, bronze bream.

In the days when matches were fished on slow rivers, most fenland/midland matchmen were very familiar with silvers.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Here's a silver bream from the Thames last season:

DSCF2178-1.jpg

Hi Anderoo

Fishing season beckoning so back at Anglers Net I'm afraid... Spent the last three months cycling hundreds of kilometres a week in a bid to get fit and take my mind off the wonders of fishing the beautiful rivers we have in the UK. And which are open from Saturday. Yay!

I've a book on my bookshelves by John Wilson casting doubt on whether the silver bream is a distinct species...

Just a juvenile bronze bream?

Not a viewpoint I agree with but thought it might be of interest to Anglers Net readers.

Possibly tosh but clearly a viewpoint held by some anglers in the 1990's...

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Hi Anderoo

Fishing season beckoning so back at Anglers Net I'm afraid... Spent the last three months cycling hundreds of kilometres a week in a bid to get fit and take my mind off the wonders of fishing the beautiful rivers we have in the UK. And which are open from Saturday. Yay!

I've a book on my bookshelves by John Wilson casting doubt on whether the silver bream is a distinct species...

Just a juvenile bronze bream?

Not a viewpoint I agree with but thought it might be of interest to Anglers Net readers.

Possibly tosh but clearly a viewpoint held by some anglers in the 1990's...

Hi TT - the identity of this particular fish was discussed here: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Fish-ID...d-t4028278.html

I wasn't sure either so checked on here, it's the only one I've ever caught!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music