Long range fishing - which rig should I use?

Guest Chris Perch

Isn't the chod rig just another name for the helicopter rig? Personally I've found a pendulum lead casts further than a heli rig.

Also do you know what kind of distance you're looking to fish? I can comfortably put a 1.5oz inline square lead around 80 yards now without too much effort and that's about as unaerodynamic as rigs get.

Best tip I ever got with regard to fishing at distance was to drop my line strength and use a shock leader, also forget about braid or fluorocarbon/flourocarbon coated mainlines they cast like crap and mono is far superior. Shimano Catana is a good casting line, in fact its just a good line end of story.

Edited by Rob Ward

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chris Perch

Thinking of using Ultima power carp xr line when I next change its supple but highly abrasion resistant and is designed for long distance fishing it also sinks well so think i will give it a try!

Thinking of using Ultima power carp xr line when I next change its supple but highly abrasion resistant and is designed for long distance fishing it also sinks well so think i will give it a try!

I've been trying out Fox Camo Soft Steel in 12lb over the last few months (on offer locally at 25% off). Initial impressions are good: There were a few tangles at first, but now it's settled down it casts and sinks well and seems to be reasonably low stretch. It's fairly supple and line lay is brilliant on my Wychwood Solace reels. Time will tell I suppose, but initial impressions are good.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Line diameter is the important thing when distance casting, for extreme range most people use relatively light mainline - say, 8lb - and a shockleader to take the force of the cast. A shockleader with no or little stretch will help maximise the energy of the cast, a stretchy shockleader will absorb and lose a fair bit of the energy. A reel with a big long spool helps a lot too.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

You might want to check thats not fluorocarbon coated i know ultima power carp is. If so dont believe the marketing it wont cast as well as a standard mono. 8lb catana is what i use for distance work.

Guest Chris Perch
Line diameter is the important thing when distance casting, for extreme range most people use relatively light mainline - say, 8lb - and a shockleader to take the force of the cast. A shockleader with no or little stretch will help maximise the energy of the cast, a stretchy shockleader will absorb and lose a fair bit of the energy. A reel with a big long spool helps a lot too.

I cant afford to go too low on the mainline cos theres gravel bars across the lake so would like to stick to 14lb mainline.

Guest Chris Perch

Thanks guys for all the tips I will try to take some of them in and hopefully improve my casting range.

I cant afford to go too low on the mainline cos theres gravel bars across the lake so would like to stick to 14lb mainline.

The Soft Steel I've mentioned is available in 15lb, Chris. I can't speak for it's resistance to abrasion though - it's not really a necessary consideration on the waters I fish.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

The Soft Steel I've mentioned is available in 15lb, Chris. I can't speak for it's resistance to abrasion though - it's not really a necessary consideration on the waters I fish.

Diameter is the key for abrasion resistance so choose wisely and ignore stated breaking strains. Take a look at the tackle box line tests as a rough guide.

If you stick to a high diameter line you would benefit from big pit reels but a lower diameter line with a shock leader is just as good and no need for big pits. Also if you fish over too many bars youre asking for trouble regardless.

Edited by Rob Ward