Martin James

wotnobivvy

That's interesting, Steve, and further confirms what everyone says about Martin James. I'm not sure why you've quoted my response to Cod Eye's post, but can only say that someone whose opinion I respect told me some time ago about the inadvisability of referring to that gentleman's past identity.

That was why I responded as I did to Cod Eye, as I didn't want the thread attracting undue attention on that issue.

I haven't read Martin James' autobiography, so do not know if he gives his reasons for his change of name or if he even mentions it at all. None of my business and I have no personal axe to grind on the subject!

That's interesting, Steve, and further confirms what everyone says about Martin James. I'm not sure why you've quoted my response to Cod Eye's post, but can only say that someone whose opinion I respect told me some time ago about the inadvisability of referring to that gentleman's past identity.

That was why I responded as I did to Cod Eye, as I didn't want the thread attracting undue attention on that issue.

I haven't read Martin James' autobiography, so do not know if he gives his reasons for his change of name or if he even mentions it at all. None of my business and I have no personal axe to grind on the subject!

Davy soz having a vacant moment meant to copy Tiggers post slap face icon....mnay rumours of past identity some of which are almost on her majestys secret .....seemed a decent chap to me and did help a few out fly fishing wise so its a yes from me Steve

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Davy soz having a vacant moment meant to copy Tiggers post slap face icon....mnay rumours of past identity some of which are almost on her majestys secret .....seemed a decent chap to me and did help a few out fly fishing wise so its a yes from me Steve

No problem, Steve! I'm still wondering why those two new members suddenly appeared and if we'll ever see either of them again on here...

He gave a talk at our local PAC ages ago on fly fishing for Pike ,Mad as a fish in the way he talks but took a few guys out on the wasing sections for just a donation to his charity of choice...seemed a very decent sort just mega animated in the way he gave the talk difficult not to laugh face....very passionate about his sport...tea total but you would have sworn he had a few at the talk....just one of the high on life characters i spose ...did continue to plug whoever sponsers him fly rod wise though which detracted form a good evening my tuppence worth Steve

Steve, Martin has a couple of health prob's/ illness's and may have been a bit off side when he spoke to you.

I think Alan Roe is a good friend of his and no doubt he will speak up if he see's this thread.

Edited by Tigger

I've only just seen this news, and I'm absolutely delighted for Martin.

As some of you will recall, a few years ago I was a complete newbie...I emailed him after listening to his show on Radio Lancashire, and the next thing I knew, he had me out on the bank where I caught my first chub. I can't find the link right now, but I did write a story about it and several of our other excursions.

We had several trips to his stretch of the River Ribble and over to Yorkshire, and he also took me out and introduced me to fly fishing...

...all of this was completely free - he even picked me up from the bus stop! He was actually quite insulted when I offered to pay! All he asked for was that I made a donation to one of his charities. He never once asked how much, just trusted that I'd do the right thing.

A well deserved award for someone who puts an awful lot of effort into encouraging new anglers.

He surely is one of angling's characters....!

Janet

Martin doesn't need defending by me or anybody else his record for the last twenty five or so years I have known him speaks for itself he has done endless amounts of work for his charities notably crossroads carers and help for heros frequently at cost to himself.

He is a seriously good angler who though now in his seventies and not in the best of health still approaches his fishing with the enthusiasm of a youngster.

He is very forthright in his views just ask those in the EA who have been on the receiving end of his ire and his local MP who has frequent contact from Martin on countryside issues especially where his beloved rivers are concerned.

He has consistantly used his position as a public persona to try to be of benefit. He does not seek to benefit himself, most of the kit he has received from various companies has been given away frequently to charitable causes. He lives a very modest lifestyle and doesn't big himself up for his own personal wealth.

He has been freely generous of his time to countless anglers who approach him for advice and has taken many of them out for a days fishing at no cost teaching others some of the skills he has equally he is quite happy to learn from others and what he learns he passes on.

On the basis of the evidence that I have seen at first hand over the years that MBE is well earned

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Steve, Martin has a couple of health prob's/ illness's and may have been a bit off side when he spoke to you.

I think Alan Roe is a good friend of his and no doubt he will speak up if he see's this thread.

Ian fair enough tbh it was just his level of enthusiasm that made him seem a bit bonkers but a thoroughly decent bloke who took a few members on a very select bit of the kennet whos ticket price would make you weep for the cost of a donation to one of his charitys....Top bloke well deserved Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: