Spigot Repair

zziplexboy

Hi,

I've Done the worst thing possible and broken the tip of my much loved Zziplex (sob) Can anyone advise me where I can buy a solid bit of fibre glass to make a spigot to fit into the butt as I've got a decent end piece from an older rod which will do the job but it needs to be a male type fit into the butt. Alternativly is it possible to fill the end of the new end piece with solid fibreglass and build the external diameterup a few mill to fit the butt as its about 21mm and waggles a bit. Any advice would be appreciated

post-5652-1340435454_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I've Done the worst thing possible and broken the tip of my much loved Zziplex (sob) Can anyone advise me where I can buy a solid bit of fibre glass to make a spigot to fit into the butt as I've got a decent end piece from an older rod which will do the job but it needs to be a male type fit into the butt. Alternativly is it possible to fill the end of the new end piece with solid fibreglass and build the external diameterup a few mill to fit the butt as its about 21mm and waggles a bit. Any advice would be appreciated

My first thought was a camping shop. They prolly have a load of broken fibreglass tent poles though I doubt they'll run to 22mm. However fibreglass is a doddle to work with and the size can easily be built up. Basically you have two basic types, little bits for filling, chopped strand mat (CSM) and cloth types for lots of uses. When soaked in a mix of resin and hardener the whole thing goes rock hard and can be filed/sanded to shape. Any fibreglass supplier will sort you out and explain how to do it.

Good luck with it.

Just had a thought. You could shape a piece of wood and wrap the fibreglass around that.

Edited by Aquaholic

Hi,

You could ask the manufacturers if they could help

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Can it be repaired?

Yes

But its not a job for a first time rod repair man, give it to someone who builds/repairs rods, there'll be someone in your area. We have a local chap up here that does repair work directly for Century among others and repairs, fix's all sorts of breaks and repairs to all makes and models

The spigot is an integral part of the rods design, cock it up with a repair and you'll end up shattering the blank, either the tip or butt will bust through when you exert the blank with a cast