Australia 2012 Report 8

Snatcher

My last day at Noosa Heads saw me having an evening session at an alleged hot spot that a local had put me onto. It was only a 5 minute drive up to the second road bridge and when I arrived there found there was ample room to park up. On walking down to the riverbank there was an angler already fishing next to the bridge so not wanting to "swim jump" I set up about 10 yds upstream from him.

IMG_0019prc.jpg

IMG_0018prc.jpg

There was a strong flow at this point so I put on a 1oz coffin running leger baited with squid. Immediately I started getting bites but could not hook up so suspected small fish. On dropping down the hook size I eventually managed to hook a small butter bream.

IMG_0025prc-1.jpg

The guy who was fishing next to me noted my tactics and said that livebaiting with small fish was the first choice at this spot. They use throw nets to get their livebait and keep them in aerated buckets - similar to the way Ollie fished back in Sydney Harbour. He commenced to tackle down at this point and showed me two good flathead he had in his keepnet before releasing them. He said he would normally keep them but his freezer was full of fish !!! Ok for some.

He had used up all of his livebaits but there were 4 casualties lying in the bottom of his bucket which he passed onto me before leaving and wishing me good luck. That was it then,a change to a bigger hook and leger a deadbait.

IMG_0020prc.jpg

Just as I was tightening up after this cast I saw a very large spotted ray swimming past me not more than about 8 feet out. I did feel more hopeful after seeing this. At this point an angler who was peering over the bridge shouted "large bull shark swimming upstream" - I thought he was just joking until I saw its fin cutting through the water. I made a mental note to stop paddling !!!

Well there were no bites forthcoming after about 20 minutes and was just going to check the bait when the rod tip gave a series of light taps. Whatever it was I did not want to deep hook it so gave it a few more seconds then tightened up. To be honest I thought I was snagged up on the bottom and was just contemplating breaking off when the "snag" started moving upstream. I only had an 8 foot spinning rod and 15lb line on the reel so had to follow the fish up the river.

It just kept heading upstream but the problem was there was someones garden coming up and I did not want to jump into the river after there had just been a bull shark sighted. As luck would have it the house owner was an angler and had been watching me,he said here mate give me your rod while you climb over the fence - nice one. Well I had just climbed over the fence when the fish turned round and started heading back downstream.

He then handed me the rod back and down the river we went. He reckoned it would probably be a decent sized sting ray. Eventually with as much side pressure exerted as I could the fish came in towards the bank and I just managed to stop it from going under the bridge.

At last I saw it and it was a stingray but minus the sting as a previous captor must have docked its tail for which I was very grateful. I got it to within about 7 feet of the bank when the main line caught around the stump of its tail and it went to ground on the bottom. I simply could not budge it.

The house owner had followed me down and I asked him to hold the rod again whilst I quickly whipped my shorts off and waded in to grab it. I was in and out of the water in seconds with my fish. I pulled my shorts back on for these two photos and carefully put the fish back. Another new species for me. Sorry about the standard of the photography - a big greasy fingermark on the camera lens is not a good idea.

IMG_0014p.jpg

IMG_0016prc.jpg

I fished on into dusk hoping for another fish but had no more bites. At this stage I was joined by two locals who had arrived for a night session

IMG_0026prc-1.jpg

I decided on a last cast before it got totally dark as I had no torch. I got a real savage take and after a decent fight dragged this eel-like fish onto the bank. The locals said it was a pike eel and to be careful unhooking it as it had a nasty set of teeth.

IMG_0022prc-1.jpg

IMG_0021prc.jpg

They were correct,it was a horrible thing and was really trying to bite me. The amount of slime that came off it was unbelievable too. Oh well who was I to complain,an exciting little session and 2 new species.

My next report has me fishing back in Sydney harbour again.

John

Edited by Snatcher

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

That last fish did have an awesome set of teeth on it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

My last day at Noosa Heads saw me having an evening session at an alleged hot spot that a local had put me onto. It was only a 5 minute drive up to the second road bridge and when I arrived there found there was ample room to park up. On walking down to the riverbank there was an angler already fishing next to the bridge so not wanting to "swim jump" I set up about 10 yds upstream from him.

Just as I was tightening up after this cast I saw a very large spotted ray swimming past me not more than about 8 feet out. I did feel more hopeful after seeing this. At this point an angler who was peering over the bridge shouted "large bull shark swimming upstream" - I thought he was just joking until I saw its fin cutting through the water. I made a mental note to stop paddling !!!

Well there were no bites forthcoming after about 20 minutes and was just going to check the bait when the rod tip gave a series of light taps. Whatever it was I did not want to deep hook it so gave it a few more seconds then tightened up. To be honest I thought I was snagged up on the bottom and was just contemplating breaking off when the "snag" started moving upstream. I only had an 8 foot spinning rod and 15lb line on the reel so had to follow the fish up the river.

At last I saw it and it was a stingray but minus the sting as a previous captor must have docked its tail for which I was very grateful. I got it to within about 7 feet of the bank when the main line caught around the stump of its tail and it went to ground on the bottom. I simply could not budge it.

John

Good report, mate, but not happy to see that the practice of cutting the tails of stingrays is so common...Far easier to cut the line and let them go. Not a complaint against you Snatcher, just that I have seen it too many times.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.