Tank repair/holding fish

Anthony78

Hi guys,

I'm having a bit of a move around in the flat and want to take the opportunity to repair my tank as the plastic tensioning strips which run across the top have both broken and I don't want to risk the tank breaking and depositing the fish on my living room floor. I'm having a new carpet fitted this weekend so while I'm having to empty the tank anyway to move it I though I'd take the opportunity to add in a new tensioner strip.

I have a new piece of glass to silicion in place but it needs 48 hours to cure so my question is:

I do not have a second tank but have a large black dustbin. If I transfer the tank water to this along with the heater and filter will they be ok for 48 hours?

I have communal fish such as Plecs, catfish, clown loach, Congo tetra, silver sharks etc

Thanks in advance

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

Should be fine as long as the dustbin is clean. Do not use any detergents, just give it a good scrub with a 'new' scourer and warm water to prepare.

Drain half the tank into bin, put heater into bin. Wait 10 minutes, then transfer fish. Drain rest of tankwater into bin. Connect existing filtration unit if possible. If not, no longer than 72 hrs in bin! Aeration a must in this case though.

Only worry I would have is for the Clown Loach, the rest are tough as old boots tbh. Watch you don't catch the eye spines on the Loach though and the stress will be minimal.

Top tip- remove all plants, bogwood, rocks etc BEFORE you catch the fish. Soooooo much easier. 2 nets makes it a doddle. :D

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Should be fine as long as the dustbin is clean. Do not use any detergents, just give it a good scrub with a 'new' scourer and warm water to prepare.

Drain half the tank into bin, put heater into bin. Wait 10 minutes, then transfer fish. Drain rest of tankwater into bin. Connect existing filtration unit if possible. If not, no longer than 72 hrs in bin! Aeration a must in this case though.

Only worry I would have is for the Clown Loach, the rest are tough as old boots tbh. Watch you don't catch the eye spines on the Loach though and the stress will be minimal.

Top tip- remove all plants, bogwood, rocks etc BEFORE you catch the fish. Soooooo much easier. 2 nets makes it a doddle. :D

Hi Renrag,

Thanks for the reply. Gave the bin a good scrub and it looked as good as new so tranferred all fish over using their original water to half fill the bin. The tank no longer has the strengthening straps across the middle (which I needed to replace anyway) so catching the fish was a doddle. Set up heater and a small internal filter I had spare to give the water some movement.

Unfortunately after about 5 hours I had one casualty and a couple of the congo tetras were up on the surface looking very lethargic so made the call to transfer the fish back to the tank. I borrowed the bin so am now thinking that my friend had used it for some waste which may have leached into the plastic and then released itself into the water which obviously effected the fish.

Thankfully I've had no more deaths but it does mean that I'll have to remove the fish again so I can re-locate the tank to it's original position.

We live and learn aye!!

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

Hi Renrag,

Thanks for the reply. Gave the bin a good scrub and it looked as good as new so tranferred all fish over using their original water to half fill the bin. The tank no longer has the strengthening straps across the middle (which I needed to replace anyway) so catching the fish was a doddle. Set up heater and a small internal filter I had spare to give the water some movement.

Unfortunately after about 5 hours I had one casualty and a couple of the congo tetras were up on the surface looking very lethargic so made the call to transfer the fish back to the tank. I borrowed the bin so am now thinking that my friend had used it for some waste which may have leached into the plastic and then released itself into the water which obviously effected the fish.

Thankfully I've had no more deaths but it does mean that I'll have to remove the fish again so I can re-locate the tank to it's original position.

We live and learn aye!!

Ant

Try a strong storage box from QD/Wilkinsons, they're what I use for transfers. Better surface area to volume ratio than a bin too.

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

small point re silicone, a lot of 'silicones' in the diy market are low modulas and take a while to cure. They are also very expensive and contain much fillers to pad them out. Commercial silicone can be purchased that is high modulas and cures rather quickly and contains a high amount of silicone. There are silicones that cure underwater.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Try a strong storage box from QD/Wilkinsons, they're what I use for transfers. Better surface area to volume ratio than a bin too.

Similar to Renrag 39, I use this when I need to transfer or treat sick fish.

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/plastic-stora...4t9gBa9qg%3D%3D

Thanks both, I'll pop out today and get one of these as it'll make future movements so much easier.

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

small point re silicone, a lot of 'silicones' in the diy market are low modulas and take a while to cure. They are also very expensive and contain much fillers to pad them out. Commercial silicone can be purchased that is high modulas and cures rather quickly and contains a high amount of silicone. There are silicones that cure underwater.

Hi Barry,

I played it safe and took the advice of my local aquatics centre and bought some Geocel Aquarium Sealant which requires 48 hours to cure. Hopefully this will do the job.

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

• 5 weeks later...