St Marys Island, Tyne and Wear

PeterNE1

I'm not a massively experienced sea angler, with most of my experience over nearly 40 years being spinning from rocks or similar, usually somewhere off the Scottish coast.

I'm within spitting distance of Whitley Bay (and St Marys Island i.e the rocks that surround the lighthouse at the northern end of the beach, accessible at lower water levels) ... I've often been across onto the rocks for 'walkies', but I've NEVER seen anyone actually fishing off there ... and I'm wondering if there may be a very good reason that I'm unaware of?

Are there any locals who can put me in the picture perhaps? ... is it an issue of particularly naughty seas (I'm aware that there are frequent drownings in the area, usually inexperienced divers, or people pushing their luck too late on the causeway), or maybe the area simply has very poor fishing / stocks? ... or is it an issue of losing way too much end tackle in rough ground maybe?

Thanks for any help!

Hi Peter :) I live in Whitley Bay but have never fished off St Mary's Island either ? I do know that good fish have been caught from it.

I suggest you join http://www.nesa.co.uk/forums/shore-fishing/ and pose the same question on there. You will get some top info from the lads on there I am sure :)

Hope this helps

John

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Hi Peter :) I live in Whitley Bay but have never fished off St Mary's Island either ? I do know that good fish have been caught from it.

I suggest you join http://www.nesa.co.uk/forums/shore-fishing/ and pose the same question on there. You will get some top info from the lads on there I am sure :)

Hope this helps

John

Hi John ... any particular reason you've never fished from there? ... at a glance it seems to be a very obvious choice, with easy enough access to the rocks most of the time, good access from the rocks to the water, and apparently a good depth of water with a very modest cast, no?

Hi John ... any particular reason you've never fished from there? ... at a glance it seems to be a very obvious choice, with easy enough access to the rocks most of the time, good access from the rocks to the water, and apparently a good depth of water with a very modest cast, no?

I suppose the reason is that I spend so little of the summer at home. The wife and I spend large chunks of the summer over in our static caravan in Drummore,Mull of Galloway. Its not a bad place to be and the fishing can be very good at times. Check out the view from our lounge over Luce Bay. We have seen basking sharks and otters whilst sat on the veranda.

IMG_1319prc.jpg

IMG_1848prc.jpg

Also I keep all of my fishing gear over there and never think of bringing any back for our brief visits. For me the island would be a summer venue trying to target wrasse and pollack using a sliding float rig.

Tight lines and let us know how you come on :)

John

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

• 2 months later...
I'm not a massively experienced sea angler, with most of my experience over nearly 40 years being spinning from rocks or similar, usually somewhere off the Scottish coast.

I'm within spitting distance of Whitley Bay (and St Marys Island i.e the rocks that surround the lighthouse at the northern end of the beach, accessible at lower water levels) ... I've often been across onto the rocks for 'walkies', but I've NEVER seen anyone actually fishing off there ... and I'm wondering if there may be a very good reason that I'm unaware of?

Are there any locals who can put me in the picture perhaps? ... is it an issue of particularly naughty seas (I'm aware that there are frequent drownings in the area, usually inexperienced divers, or people pushing their luck too late on the causeway), or maybe the area simply has very poor fishing / stocks? ... or is it an issue of losing way too much end tackle in rough ground maybe?

Thanks for any help!

sorry for the late reply but i'm new here :)

i'm surprised you've never seen anyone fishing here its quite a popular mark, maybe not so much in through summer as there's more productive summer cod fishing further north but its still worth a chuck into the kelpy gullies with fresh crab , also get a few pollack, wrasse and macky to spinning/float tactics in summer too but from autumn onwards during or after a big sea fishing in darkness is when its most popular and the better fish show