Warm Summer in the US so far

Newt

Newt, how long before the heat and humidity is forecast to subside? Peggy and I really feel for you. The heat's bad enough, but coupled with high humidity we'd find that almost unbearable.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to say Steve. This sort of weather is usual for late July and part of August but it is way early this year so who knows.

I think back to the days when air conditioning in homes and autos didn't exist and wonder how we survived. As it is, I can keep comfortable as long as I have electricity since the AC not only cools but also removes much of the water from the air. I maintain about 23.5-26º inside most of the time and only fish from daylight for 2-3 hours or occasionally take the boat out late at night when it's cooled down a bit.

It's down to about 27º now at 10pm but no breeze and 85% humidity so not particularly comfortable.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Just came off the phone from a friend working in New York.

She's melting! (It's 41C out on her balcony).

Power there has been reduced, air-conditioning not coping :(

I tormented her with talk of the pleasant gentle summer rain here in Kent (18C). :)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Take back this southern weather, Newt. It's even going to top 100° f up here the next three days.

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

Severus - we didn't give it away. We just spread it out a bit more widely.

I'm just happy to live far away from large cities that suffer brown-outs like those Leon's NY friend is having.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt, how long before the heat and humidity is forecast to subside? Peggy and I really feel for you. The heat's bad enough, but coupled with high humidity we'd find that almost unbearable.

Tonight will not be comfortable, it will be 17 C midnight tonight and i'm by the beach :huh:

1509tarpon_75_.gif

All,

Every year in my area we have problems with toxic algae. This year it has already started because of the heat. No pets, no swimming, etc. Many communities rely on these lakes for their public water supply. Treatment is expensive. It usually occurs in late August or maybe for a week the first of Sept.

Of course, all algae is VERY hard on the oxygen supply for fish. May be a L O N G year. While it is usually premissible to fish, I wouldn't fish in a lake that has been closed by the Health Department. Just asking for trouble - even C&R. With DO as low as it is getting fish wouldn't survive the fight anyway. All is not roses in the lower Midwest.

Phone

Edit: Newt, I haven't spoken to anyone in NC or any of the "pond bosses" I know. Any word on the carp commercials?

Edited by Phone

I've pretty much lost tough with them too Phone but since they all operate isolated ponds and have good aeration, they may be OK although I'm not sure how a small pond with only 8-10 feet of water would do. Luckily carp can tolerate warm water pretty well but even then, brutal heat with high humidity could be causing some problems since the aeration systems won't cool like they usually do.

It could be worse I suppose.

Adam in Oman reached over 48ºC yesterday while Vostok in Antartica got down to -72ºC. I surely would not want to deal with either of those.

We're at 24ºC with 100% humidity and lots of fog at 0400.