Carp mouth care products

Sportsman

Sportsman,

I guess it would be helpful, in a perfect world, to differentiate between antiseptics, disinfectants and surfactants. Unfortunately this is not an "angler" area of expertise. So, they say you must use an "antiseptic".

Fortunately with fish, (I think all fish) decision is easy. The "best" (strange word - "best") IMO because it is what is used in commercial applications is:

Hydrogen Peroxide

It is what they use in the commercial catfish farms on wounds (and their are lots of them) and what they use in commercial carp farming.

And - - - - guess what? - - - - - - it is an antiseptic/disinfectant. It doesn't harm fish and has a pH between 4 and 5 so it is usually helpful to water quality. Ohh and it is about a buck a gallon.

It is so cheap I would ask that you also use it "between fish" on your unhooking mat. That's where the danger (if any) lies.

Phone

Edited by Phone

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chris Perch

I seem to remember matt hayes recomending Bonjella.

I have a tube in my box but admit to using gardner medi-vet as well.

To those of you who carry and use these products, a question: do you consider fishing cruel?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I can honestly say I have never bothered with it. Do you think it really makes a significant difference? When you consider the amount of fish we see with various large wounds from pike, cormorants and other preds that have healed do you think a little prick is dangerous to the fish in comparison with that? By the scars some of the wounds must have been horrific and somehow the fish survive. Maybe the issue isnt necessarily the prick but the stagnant bacteria ridden water that the fish are being kept in. Maybe the fisheries should be pouring the stuff into the water rather than an angler putting a small amound of water soluble (read as disappears as the fish is put back) on the fishes mouth.

I agree with Phone in that it seems to be very much a case of the angler feeling a clean conscience and the fisheries buying into the hype pushed by the companies. I think it is very much a case of the angler getting caught again. One thing that springs to mind is that most of the issues that seem to need addressing and that get discusses on here can be dealt with very simply by not stuffing holes full of fish.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Guest Chris Perch

There is certainly no harm in it - I think these anti-ceptics come from the koi industry??

Quote:-do you think a little prick is dangerous to the fish

Yes I have seen some that are. Lol

Edited by Chris Perch

There is certainly no harm in it - I think these anti-ceptics come from the koi industry??

Quote:-do you think a little prick is dangerous to the fish

Yes I have seen some that are. Lol

:D

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

A lot of the carp fisheries out here in France are family owned concerns with very substantial investment in real estate and stock. When you consider that individual fish can be worth a couple of thousand pounds it is not surprising that they will do anything they can to protect their investment. If they believe that that using an antiseptic may make even a tiny difference they they will do it and I find it hard to blame them even though I don't have a great deal of confidence in it myself. If I want to fish their lakes I have to show that I carry the antiseptic and I was wondering which was the best to buy. I will almost certainly go with the cheapest.

BTW these are not muddy holes in the ground, in most cases they are over 10 acres and either gravel pits or old estate type lakes.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

A lot of the carp fisheries out here in France are family owned concerns with very substantial investment in real estate and stock. When you consider that individual fish can be worth a couple of thousand pounds it is not surprising that they will do anything they can to protect their investment. If they believe that that using an antiseptic may make even a tiny difference they they will do it and I find it hard to blame them even though I don't have a great deal of confidence in it myself. If I want to fish their lakes I have to show that I carry the antiseptic and I was wondering which was the best to buy. I will almost certainly go with the cheapest.

BTW these are not muddy holes in the ground, in most cases they are over 10 acres and either gravel pits or old estate type lakes.

Isn't it worth asking the fishery if they supply the stuff ? Maybe it would be worth buying a bottle off them instead of messing about elsewhere ?

Personally, I think it is slightly OTT but if they are the rules then they are the rules.

Carp often pick up injuries from objects on the bottom, especially when feeding in groups, almost all injuries heal without human intervention.

Just another buck/pound/euro in the pocket of the manufacturer and possibly a cut to the water owner.

Since almost all waters in my area now demand barbless hooks injuries to the mouth have virtually ceased.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do pack a tube of Bonjella as this was recommended to me as a great treatment for external injuries on fish.

Antiseptic cream can cause ulcers I am told.