Carp mouth care products

Sportsman

Since almost all waters in my area now demand barbless hooks injuries to the mouth have virtually ceased.

Don't open that can of worms again :D

I agree it seems a little OTT. Of course if you want to fish a place like that then you must follow the rules. I do question the effectiveness of the principle though. I wouldnt mind seeing some evidence of its effectiveness. I wonder whether it is the fact that the product has been used that has the effect or whether it is the subliminal message of caring for the fish that gets into the anglers head a little more than usual at a place that demands the antiseptic. I think it maybe makes anglers think a little more before yanking hooks out.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It strikes me as really perverse that the person who carefully treats the mouth wound of a living creature is the same person who got a buzz out of causing the wound in the first place.

It also strikes me as perverse that fishery owners insist on all the fish care stuff, whether actually proven to do anything or not, because it is 'protecting their investment'. The value of each fish is measured in pounds and pence. It's got nothing to do with respect for the fish, it's respect for the mighty dollar.

I understand less and less about fishing as the years tick by.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

It strikes me as really perverse that the person who carefully treats the mouth wound of a living creature is the same person who got a buzz out of causing the wound in the first place.

It also strikes me as perverse that fishery owners insist on all the fish care stuff, whether actually proven to do anything or not, because it is 'protecting their investment'. The value of each fish is measured in pounds and pence. It's got nothing to do with respect for the fish, it's respect for the mighty dollar.

I understand less and less about fishing as the years tick by.

Your getting old Andrew :D

I can half understand people wanting to make sure they have as little impact on the fish as possible however if people were that bothered about the fish they simply wouldnt fish.

It is very odd that they do their best to stick metal hooks through their mouths and will often try every trick in the book to do so whether that be breaking rules or not and yet they then try to act like they care once they have caught said fish. It seems a very selfish way of thinking. From the anglers point of view it is equivalent to going out of your way to shoot a deer but then instead of skinning it and mounting it you treat the wound and hope it gets better to ease your conscience for having shot it in the first place. Of course you would have your picture taken with the deer first before releasing it. :rolleyes:

Ok so maybe it isnt equivalent in terms of intelligence of the creature but the principle is the same.

P.S. If I dont apply anti septic does it mean I dont care about the fish? Do I have to tell people how much I care for it to mean anything?

P.P.S. Sorry for going off topic Sportsman.

Edited by AddictedToScopex

As a matter of interest if this type of product was made compulsory on say a gravel pit syndicate water that you were a member of, would you use it to keep your membership or would you give up your membership on a point of principle?

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

As a matter of interest if this type of product was made compulsory on say a gravel pit syndicate water that you were a member of, would you use it to keep your membership or would you give up your membership on a point of principle?

If I am being honest I would ask why they had come to the conclusion that it is necessary. Of course if I enjoyed the water I would keep a bottle of it handy to show a bailiff but I would be unlikely to use it on every fish I caught. I am all for rules if they can be proven to have a significant benefit other than to make people money but I do object to ones influenced by poor research or reasons.

Incidentally I dont fish still waters as a rule at the moment so I doubt I would have the problem but that doesnt make me any less qualified to pass comment as I have in the past and might in the future.

I am certainly not belittleing those that take it with them due to enforced rules. By all means if you want to fish somewhere then you have to comply if they say you must take some with you. I do however think that it makes very little difference to the fish and that most take it either to satisfy the rules or because it makes them feel better. If i rub water soluble antiseptic on a wound and then proceed to put my hand into mucky water then the antiseptic soon washes off and then I am open to infection just as much as I was before I put the antiseptic on. Maybe if a new product was developed that stayed on the site until it had healed then it may be worth using. Maybe something like Plasterz or dressingz. :D

Edited by AddictedToScopex

I have a Korda Carp Care Kit that I bought years ago so as to tick a box that required it for some trip. Still un-opended as I have not had a fish with an injury that made me think of reaching for it, not that I bother to take it with me on most fishing trips anyway.

To me its just another rule that if the fishery owner wants well you need to follow if you want to fish his/her water. To be honest I have never fished any water that I would say I agreed with 100% of all their rules. Whether that is the need for unhooking mates, line strength, style of hook, bait restrictions, rod TC's, fishing methods, fishing seasons and a whole raft of other rules.

For freedom you may well say hit the rivers but these days it's not just still waters/commercials that over load on rules, I have noticed endless rules appearing on many club books which cover all their waters. You could always break them on their river venues and chances of any one catching you might be slim but they still exist as rules. I think many clubs are now getting worse then day ticket and syndicate waters as one "angling tribe" tries to impose there set or rules/values/practices on the whole club.

As for Sportmans question, I would do what was necessary to fish the waters I wanted whether that was to buy a huge polly ball unhooking mate, spool my line with X breaking strain line, do work parties of have rigs with barbed or barbless hooks. So getting some anticeptic would just be another hoop to jump through for access.

I doubt anyone has not had to purchase something they don't want or do follow rules they do not 100% agree with to get access to some very good fishing.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

In islotation I would get some and if necessary use it; if it was yet another daft rule it might be the straw that broke the camel's back. If I don't feel enough freedom when fishing, I go elsewhere.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Sportsman,

I'd use it. And, in all honesty, it is a "last moment" reminder to be a good steward of our natural resources. Of course, in this case, it is a matter of "caring" for somone else's livestock. I can't see fish as being any different than any other livestock. It certainly doesn't hurt the fish.

Strangely, in the US we are continuously reminded we have, and pay for, huge re-stocking programs paid for by state fishing license fees to ease the same guilt. The "commercials" in the US use a salt water dip on every fish weighed as a safety measure (all fish are weighed by the "pond boss" as a great deal of money is involved).

Frankly, I don't see it much differently than beating the 'ell out of a thoroughbred horse for two minutes (or many other examples).

Phone

The rep;lies so far are very much what I would have expected from the anglers I "know" 100% common sense! However I know that if this same question had been posted on a "Carp" forum there would have been some very different (and extreme ones!)

Dave I to would but and carry one if the rules deemed it and indeed would use it if the situation arose........my point being is that over all these years I have only ever landed one carp that I have caused enough damage to to warrant any concern (more off later). I have been possibly very fortunate in that Ive also only landed a couple of specimen fish with mouth damage. However I seriously doubt that any product would have done anything at all to help heal the damage.

The modern carper is (in my eyes) a total hypocrite re "carp care"! instead of addressing the things that cause damage and therefore preventing it they salve their conscience/keep up the caring image by simply slapping on a load of totally ineffectual "Snake Oil"! All they are interested in is getting the fish on the bank and a "good" photo regardless.

For example a Facebook "friend" recently published a photo of a carp he had netted out which was suffering from dropsy.Straight away there were hundreds of carp crusaders screaming "bad fish handling" "kill the noddies who caused this" etc etc ,most had decided that the fish looked in this sorry state because it had been dropped on the floor without an unhooking mat!!! I pointed out that it appeared to be suffering from the disease rather than from bad handling.This didnt cause much of a reaction some seemingly accepting this and others not that worried enough to argue......

However when I commented that all these guys screaming about dropped fish all displayed photos of carp held towards the camera at arms length (a certain recipe to drop fish if ever there was one!) I recieved hell!

"So how do you hold them then Budgie? hugged close to your body?" "How else are you going to get a good photo that shows their true beauty?" were the replies I got (well the civil ones at least) and indeed what I base my accusations on.

Back to the high double figure carp whose face I destroyed, fishing close to a bridge stanchion I was employing hit and hold tactics (more accurately "hit and walk"!) soon as I had a run I would simply pick up the rod everything held tight (locked up I think its now called?) and walk back down stream away from the bridge.Hand landed many previously using this tactic in this swim over the years. This time though my change to a 25lb (flat profiled) braided hook link and the fact that the hook was in the mouth as opposed to the lip lead to a drams.The mouth of the fish had a long tear caused by the hook staying solid but the braid cutting the flesh where it ran over the lips. NO amount of any product would have helped this. My solution wasn't to go buy anything to treat this in future but to simply analyse why it had happened and therefore prevent it happening again.

So what do you guys thinks better? prevention or "cure" (easing of conscience?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

i think you gotta look at it from the fishery side:

for instance Reepham fishery, where i fish a fair bit, is a "carp a chuck" location; alot of parrot mouth and quite frankly stuffed full of fish brim to brim! easy peasy fishery but a great fun day out. protect it from otters and mink for sure and use barbless hooks etc...but worry about antiseptic sprays?? erm....nope

however...

a pristine specimen lake stocked with wiley old double figure fish that is fished as a specimen lake....then maybe that might prompt me to think a little bit more specifically about fish care for each and every one landed; if i was the owner....maybe thats what it comes down too...if id invested £2000 per fish for my fishery id probably look at things differently and **** so many anglers off with my rules they would actually never be fished for! LOL!

but there is one near me that is fished in such a way that demands barbed hooks?? which no matter the arguments for an against (which is another tthread anyway) i dont understand personally.

its a bit like shooting...an ethical hunter will endeavour to take his/her prey in the most humane way possible with as little suffering as possible.

you dont like wounding animals, a clean kill is always the preference and ultimate goal.

the amount of care and time my family put into rearing pheasants for our shoot shows dedication and care for your sport. fisherman should ,i think be the same, caring for your catch,ensuring its un-hokked and handled well, and returned safely etc. i hate foul hooking fish and suchlike, i hate deep hooking roach and perch. i guess its not too far a step away to thinking a spray might ease my conscience a tad on a nasty foul hook gash etc

is this the same kind of thing?

i think most anglers on here would conisder fish handling and care to be utmost in their skill base...maybe sprays are a little extreme in most cases but if its what you wish to do then i have no issue with it.

Edited by kirisute