Carp mouth care products

Sportsman

i think you gotta look at it from the fishery side:

for instance Reepham fishery, where i fish a fair bit, is a "carp a chuck" location; alot of parrot mouth and quite frankly stuffed full of fish brim to brim! easy peasy fishery but a great fun day out. protect it from otters and mink for sure and use barbless hooks etc...but worry about antiseptic sprays?? erm....nope

To my mind I would be asking myself whether I should be fishing a place like that in the first place. I think if I were to fish such a place I wouldnt have a moral leg to stand on with regard to fish care as I am funding a place that has horrible stocking policies and my conscience just wouldnt allow it. I am not judging you for fishing it so please dont take me the wrong way I am merely giving my opinion as to how I would feel.

Many carp boys preach about carp care etc and yet they line the pockets of people who stuff carp into muddy holes simply for them to be yanked out as though the people fishing it were at a fair. They also do anything it takes using any method it takes to capture the fish and as budgie said they hold them so high up and in such an uncontrollable manner that damage is innevitable. It reasons such as that that I dont fish such places anymore. It makes me feel depressed to be catching fish in a situation like that.

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My worry Neil is that although I could be persuaded to go along the "every little bit helps" route is that once again the waters are being muddied by the Carp Machine.All the time anglers feel its acceptable to damage fish to land them,,,,as long as you then put them in a £70 cradle and apply a "carp care product" and then pontificate about how much you love and care for them its quite ok! then they wont listen to the true reasons OR (more importantly perhaps?) work out those true reasons for them selves?

My personal reason for being concerned with/preaching/practising good fish care (as despite wanting to catch them and accepting this isn't possibly that good for the fish full stop!) is kind of split! half being that I'm an old tree hugger and cried at Bambi and the other half purely selfish in that I want to catch good looking fish that ain't ripped about!

My biggest gripe is surely that if I (apparently) can so easily get it right and so can others why cant everyone?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

To my mind I would be asking myself whether I should be fishing a place like that in the first place. I think if I were to fish such a place I wouldnt have a moral leg to stand on with regard to fish care as I am funding a place that has horrible stocking policies and my conscience just wouldnt allow it. I am not judging you for fishing it so please dont take me the wrong way I am merely giving my opinion as to how I would feel.

Many carp boys preach about carp care etc and yet they line the pockets of people who stuff carp into muddy holes simply for them to be yanked out as though the people fishing it were at a fair. It reasons such as that that I dont fish such places anymore. It makes me feel depressed to be catching fish in a situation like that.

no offence taken :)

its each to their own.

but even in such a place there is a policy that the owner tries to keep on top of, with good fish handling and suchlike. they even supply their own nets and un-hooking mats per peg to reduce contamination from other lakes etc.

but then again the owner isnt a fisherman/woman....she bought the place and is making it as good as it can be in her eyes. so i think alot of the issues might be simple roll overs from the previous owner etc....but she will firmly deal with anyone she sees mis handling fish etc

on corporate days ive helped out on she has even threatened to throw the entire lot out if they dont play by her rules for keep net weights!

i think alot of these things have to be judged by each situation based upon a set of "good practice"

My worry Neil is that although I could be persuaded to go along the "every little bit helps" route is that once again the waters are being muddied by the Carp Machine.All the time anglers feel its acceptable to damage fish to land them,,,,as long as you then put them in a £70 cradle and apply a "carp care product" and then pontificate about how much you love and care for them its quite ok! then they wont listen to the true reasons OR (more importantly perhaps?) work out those true reasons for them selves?

My personal reason for being concerned with/preaching/practising good fish care (as despite wanting to catch them and accepting this isn't possibly that good for the fish full stop!) is kind of split! half being that I'm an old tree hugger and cried at Bambi and the other half purely selfish in that I want to catch good looking fish that ain't ripped about!

My biggest gripe is surely that if I (apparently) can so easily get it right and so can others why cant everyone?

mate i agree;

in the end it has to come down to your own conscience and choices.

if you feel a spray helps then use one.

if your happy with how you handle fish etc then stay that way.

im with you.....alot of the "carp culture" is all the kit and no idea. you have to balance what you do against how you do it.

but alongside that we have to accept that fishing is a blood sport....and all blood sports should come with a good knowledge of "good practice".

i think thats whats missing in alot of cases...cranking fish in; rough handling; leaving them out for minutes on the mat/bank etc to get a good picture etc....all of that stuff

wasnt there another thread somewhere that picked up on a fish handling licence?

To my mind I would be asking myself whether I should be fishing a place like that in the first place.

Trouble again though is you can fish the most exclusive,well run,experienced members syndicate in the world and all it takes is either one guest,or one "accident" (by accident I mean an angler catching a fish unintentionally whilst targeting other species,for example imagine if I was to have been an experienced angler but fishing wire for eels when I fluked that 40lbr a few months back and the hook had been taken well back in the mouth the wire could have severely cut that fishes mouth?) and you have a damaged fish?

Thought has to be given to "safety" at all times......then when all has been done to minimise the chance of problems any that occur simply have to be accepted.

Also when fishery owners are running waters (no matter how much there stock represents financially) its not so much the initial cost that's so crucial but the returns.For example its better to get a 30 that's caught/landed/photographed/happy customer REGARDLESS of damage or potential damage than have a pristine one that never sees the bank.Fish being landed make the real money not uncaught monsters (sadly for most) Trashed fish can be replaced with the money the "trashers" have paid to "trash" it ......................simple business economics and after all that's what the "commercials" are about. No experienced/qualified fishery owner would honestly believe that a dab of water soluble antiseptic would do a lot of good! If they did they would be applying it them selves!

So why are some imposing this/these types of rules? I reckon a couple of different reasons, some are not fishery managers (as in qualified) but purely anglers who own/run a water and are just as influenced/caught up in the Carp Machine as the rest! others dont give a flying F about their stock other than as a business asset and just want to "look" as though they care (remember its the "trendy" carp thing to do) and others out of pure desperation think they will use anything they might help!

wondering if anyone who uses it on carp as a matter of care and respect 'outside' of commercial fisheries, where it is a rule, on other species. roach, rudd, pike etc.

I think the real issue here Andy is that hook "damage" on a carp is often a hole or small tear on smaller fish its the complete lip missing! BUT both come down to the same thing ie a lack of care in un hooking.

Trouble again though is you can fish the most exclusive,well run,experienced members syndicate in the world and all it takes is either one guest,or one "accident" (by accident I mean an angler catching a fish unintentionally whilst targeting other species,for example imagine if I was to have been an experienced angler but fishing wire for eels when I fluked that 40lbr a few months back and the hook had been taken well back in the mouth the wire could have severely cut that fishes mouth?) and you have a damaged fish?

Thought has to be given to "safety" at all times......then when all has been done to minimise the chance of problems any that occur simply have to be accepted.

Also when fishery owners are running waters (no matter how much there stock represents financially) its not so much the initial cost that's so crucial but the returns.For example its better to get a 30 that's caught/landed/photographed/happy customer REGARDLESS of damage or potential damage than have a pristine one that never sees the bank.Fish being landed make the real money not uncaught monsters (sadly for most) Trashed fish can be replaced with the money the "trashers" have paid to "trash" it ......................simple business economics and after all that's what the "commercials" are about. No experienced/qualified fishery owner would honestly believe that a dab of water soluble antiseptic would do a lot of good! If they did they would be applying it them selves!

So why are some imposing this/these types of rules? I reckon a couple of different reasons, some are not fishery managers (as in qualified) but purely anglers who own/run a water and are just as influenced/caught up in the Carp Machine as the rest! others dont give a flying F about their stock other than as a business asset and just want to "look" as though they care (remember its the "trendy" carp thing to do) and others out of pure desperation think they will use anything they might help!

I was referring more to the stocking level than the damage mate.

Of course unintentional damage occurs from time to time and can be unavoidable or unpredictable in the case of your carp.

As has been said it is just personal preference whether you choose to spend your money on an overstocked commercial or a club ticket for a quiet river stretch. I choose not to pay people to overstock fish simply as a matter of my own conscience. Bad handling can and will occur no matter where you fish though. Human nature is human nature and some dont really care either way. There are likely damaged fish in rivers too but of course the chances of them being further damage are hopefully reduced by less anglers going for them and of course them being spread more thinly. Ian mentioned all the damaged barbel he has seen on the ribble. Luckily I havent seen many myself.

I do certainly agree that what can be done should be done but when people pick and choose what they want to do for fish welfare rather than do everything available it does make you wonder. Some places insist on mats and antiseptic but then happily put that many fish in a pond that you could almost walk across it. The mind boggles. As you say it is often being seen to care that really matters. Not the actual caring itself.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Totally agree ATS.

Andy Im not saying that small fish dont deserve the same amount of respect its just that no preparations known to maqn are going to re grow complete lips! SO exactly the same as with bigger fish its care that is needed to prevent/minimise the damage in the first place.