Australia 2012 Report 9

Snatcher

This afternoon session sees Paul (my daughters fiance) and myself fishing at Forty Baskets inside Sydney Harbour. We had no fresh bait so called called into Harris Farm Market,Manly,as they had a good fresh fish section. I bought a medium sized squid off them and blagged some "fish bits" which turned out to be swordfish.

Paul drove us over to the nearest street to Forty Baskets Beach and after parking up we headed down some stairs to the shore. I have to say that this was a very posh area and you could not buy a house here for less than about £2,000,000.

As soon as we got onto the shore we started tackling up our spinning rods and as we were doing this who went rowing past in a "tinny" but my ozzie fishing mate Ollie. I am sure he fishes 24/7 and never goes to sleep !!!! This time he was after live squid for kingfish bait.

IMG_7824prc.jpg

We headed east up the beach towards some rocky outcrops. In the next picture you can see the suburb of Fairlight on the other side of the bay,the protected swimming area and a few tinnys in the foreground. Nearly all beaches in the harbour have safe swimming areas due to the large number of sharks thought to be present in Sydney Harbour.

http://phys.org/news157533618.html

IMG_7828prc.jpg

Once on the rocks Paul decided to bait up with squid so I opted to try a sliver of swordfish. Immediately I started getting bites but could not hook up. I then went through the process of dropping the hook size to try and see what the little critters were.

IMG_7830prc.jpg

IMG_0050prc.jpg

Eventually I did manage to hook up and it was a small bream. Paul in the meanwhile was having the odd bite on squid but could not hook up. At this point we decided to to head back up the beach and try fishing on the outside of the swimming area.

IMG_0054prc.jpg

When we got there Paul opted to "walk the plank" and fish on the extreme edge of the structure. I did consider it but being somewhat older and less agile than Paul went for the easier option of fishing from some stairs at the side. LOL

IMG_0055prc.jpg

Paul dropped down his hook size and was rewarded with a small bream to save the blank.

IMG_0056prc.jpg

I had been fairly quickly munched out of swordfish for bait so decided to try a bit lure fishing. I gave this about 10 minutes,trying a few different lures but all to no avail,not one take/pluck. I then set up my running leger rig again and baited up with squid tentacles. I cast out towards the anchored boats and was getting virtually a bite every cast but could not hook up.

Eventually I did hook up and after a spirited fight swung a new species out of the water towards me. It was a Chinaman Leatherjacket. True to my angling nickname of Snatcher I had foulhooked it in the back !!! Oh well it swam away ok after this quick picture.

IMG_0060prc.jpg

The light was starting to go now but Paul did manage to get this flounder before we packed in. It was a new species for Paul as well so even though we had caught nothing big it was a nice little relaxing session.

IMG_0063prc.jpg

On the way back to the beach I noticed that someone had a boat called "Budgie Smuggler" so could not resist taking a photo of it.

IMG_0065prc.jpg

On the beach we got talking to a local and she said that a few days ago an angler had caught a 6 foot Bronze Whaler shark at this mark !!!! Just goes to show.

Bigger fish are in the harbour and livebaiting/deadbaiting seems the way to go for them. Well on my next trip to Australia I will be armed with a second heavier outfit for just this purpose.

My last report will have me fishing inside the harbour at Fairlight and making headlines in the local papers.

John

Edited by Snatcher

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Headlines - did they drag you off to jail then? :D :D

Seriously, some really pretty places to fish and enough fish to keep it interesting.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President