Bottom Bouncers

Scrolling aroung the forum and found this topic, if i may stick my 2 pence's worth in..

I recommend flying c's aka flying condoms with a smal 5 -10 inch trace. However a simple swivle with a clip tied onto the mainline and simply clipping and unclipping to chance lure... I have found fishing with these wire traces are extra security but generally un-required as the hook hangs off the rear.

Fishing Tackle | Fishing Gear & Equipment | Trout Flies | Tackle Masters

Fishing Tackle

Trout Flies

Fly Fishing Tackle

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scrolling aroung the forum and found this topic, if i may stick my 2 pence's worth in..

I recommend flying c's aka flying condoms with a smal 5 -10 inch trace. However a simple swivle with a clip tied onto the mainline and simply clipping and unclipping to chance lure... I have found fishing with these wire traces are extra security but generally un-required as the hook hangs off the rear.

granted that, with my own fishing anyway, lures generally dont get entirely eaten but it does happen. enough times to warrant the pacgb recommendation of 15-18 inches. are you seriously suggesting fishing for pike without a trace as the hook hangs off the rear ? :wallbash:

ive had pike take lures & spinners right to the back of the mouth where a 5 inch trace would just simply get bitten off.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Flying C's are cheap. Who cares how many pike you kill by leaving them to starve with a throat stapled shut by a treble and two inches of bitten off line attached to the lure. You wouldn't want to pay "extra" for a wire trace now would you ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I have to say that what you seem to be suggesting is a very bad practice in my opinion when fishing for pike, which I mentioned I was intending to do earlier in the thread. Like Andy I myself have had a few spinners and plugs totally engulfed by larger pike and would almost certainly have suffered a bite off had I not been using wire. I always use wire when spinning on the off chance of pike which is the reason for my other thread about fine wire traces. The only time I would consider not doing this is if spinning for trout or chub on the river section that I often fish which is not at all known for its pike and I have never seen or heard of one coming out. Even then I would be a little hesitant to not use one. I am very surprised to see anyone these days advocating lure fishing for pike without the use of a trcae.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Addicted,

Not sayng yea or nay - just saying it's not unheard of over here. Here is a cut and paste from another forum.

""""I have been using 65lb power pro spectra line instead of leaders for about a year now when fishing for pike and I havent lost a fish due to cut line yet. I havent had a monster on though with the line directly on the fish's teeth. Does any else use a heavy braid in place of a steel leader and have you had any problems doing this? I have noticed that occasionally the line will start to fray and then I just replace it. Id hate to loose a 25lber tho due to leader failure."""" (?) (Michigan USA)

Phone

(leader = trace)

Addicted,

Not sayng yea or nay - just saying it's not unheard of over here. Here is a cut and paste from another forum.

""""I have been using 65lb power pro spectra line instead of leaders for about a year now when fishing for pike and I havent lost a fish due to cut line yet. I havent had a monster on though with the line directly on the fish's teeth. Does any else use a heavy braid in place of a steel leader and have you had any problems doing this? I have noticed that occasionally the line will start to fray and then I just replace it. Id hate to loose a 25lber tho due to leader failure."""" (?) (Michigan USA)

Phone

(leader = trace)

Phone,

I have no doubt that a lot of people do not use wire traces/leaders and do get away with it but I could not in good conscience decide against one when fishing for pike or when pike are a danger. Its just asking for it. Its an unnecessary risk that I am not willing to take. Another thing that a wire trace provides is a bit of protection when snagged. A braid trace/leader will fray and snap much more easily than a wire one if you snag up on something.

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk