Wettest June on record

tiddlertamer

Last month has just been confirmed as the wettest June on record.

How has this record rainfall affected fishing UK rivers for the better?

I must confess that I haven't been out on rivers since last season - due to spending far too much time on a new racing bike which has proved a real health kick - but I fancy a slightly more sedentary weekend, albeit creeping a few miles up and down a river.

I normally associate June with slightly sluggish rivers at a relatively low level compared with the last days of the previous season when conditions often begin to pick up after the end to frosts and freezing winter conditions.

This year I guess there is a bit of colour in the water and a bit of flow too. Quite different from conditions in previous years, where in larger rivers such as the middle Thames, it's almost as if the current stops and the water takes on a rather strange hue.

I tend to enjoy the challenge of Avon float fishing with maggot bait.

Are there opportunities out there this year which you wouldn't normally get but which are there this year due to the wet weather?

Or should I get back on the bike? :)

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Been a drought aint there, so it must have been the wettest on record!!!!!!!

Not just me claiming it...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18678659

Article also notes a lack of sunshine. All a bit dull... but fish like that don't they? :)

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

We need to trade some weather with you. Been way too hot and way too dry here.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Not just June. It's the wetest second quarter (April, May & June) on record.

My local rivers have all stayed high and coloured and I've only managed two short river sessions since April - both before the 16th of June.

Hopefully, I'll be out for a bait fishing session this weekend but with thunderstorms predicted for the next three days, I'm not counting chickens.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

not noticed much in levels around here we sit on sand so i guess its still filtering down to the water table so the local water company can sell it for wasting on the golf course

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Hello TT nice to see you posting again.

A cautious response here because I’m very aware that the rain we’ve had in other parts of the country during the last quarter has not only ruined fishing but also homes and livelihoods. But to answer your question, the effect on the Kennet has been remarkable, had we not had the rain it would have been in a very sorry state, possibly dry in places. I wasn’t living in this area when the river was in it’s prime and talking to various river keepers levels have been slowly dropping over the past few years, how it looks now must be something like it was 20 years ago.

The Lambourn too has benefitted greatly and the interesting thing here is that this river doen’t fluctuate too much during rainy times. It doesn’t get loads of run off water so any significant level change can only be because the aquifers which supply it have been topped up, some rain must’ve got through the ground. At least that’s what I’m hoping, both rivers seems to be retaining good levels despite the rain easing off over the past couple of weeks, we’ll see how things develop.

The Kennet has been fishing very well too, my season opening week wasn’t spectacular but by any means but it ranks as one of the most enjoyable I’ve had.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

All the rain has had a remarkable effect on the upper Thames and its tributaries. For the first time in probably 18 months it's actually flowing strongly with some colour. It's a relief to see to be honest. I haven't done much fishing lately, so I don't know how that translates into results, but I'd be very confident if I put my mind to it. I did a bit of quivertipping for chub at the weekend to try out a new rod, and the river was alive with small fish hammering the bread. Fishing small soft plastics produced a few perch and an accidental pike. With the river flowing, the perch are where you'd expect them to be, so location is suddenly not the enormous problem is has been recently.

I'm looking forward to doing some serious perching soon, with the river in such good nick it's a great summer opportunity :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Three to four inches of rain forecast on Friday in our neck of the woods.

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/forecast/7day/ts12

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."