Wettest June on record

tiddlertamer

Hello TT nice to see you posting again.

A cautious response here because I’m very aware that the rain we’ve had in other parts of the country during the last quarter has not only ruined fishing but also homes and livelihoods. But to answer your question, the effect on the Kennet has been remarkable, had we not had the rain it would have been in a very sorry state, possibly dry in places. I wasn’t living in this area when the river was in it’s prime and talking to various river keepers levels have been slowly dropping over the past few years, how it looks now must be something like it was 20 years ago.

The Lambourn too has benefitted greatly and the interesting thing here is that this river doen’t fluctuate too much during rainy times. It doesn’t get loads of run off water so any significant level change can only be because the aquifers which supply it have been topped up, some rain must’ve got through the ground. At least that’s what I’m hoping, both rivers seems to be retaining good levels despite the rain easing off over the past couple of weeks, we’ll see how things develop.

The Kennet has been fishing very well too, my season opening week wasn’t spectacular but by any means but it ranks as one of the most enjoyable I’ve had.

What he said - best I've seen the Kennet at this time of year since 2007 - when we also had an extraordinarily wet summer (43cm fell in May, June & July).

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Guest redfin2

Although the weather has impacted on my work, the Barbel fishing has been excellent. First cast of the season resulted in a barb, which was just as well as it was part of a film project for son's college work :) And the little spate River I have been fishing seems to have a Barbel in every 'peg'. and it's been a good start for me. Last season it was so different and I only fished this river a handful of times, the fish were 'holed' up and it just seemed wrong to target them.

Remember all the talk of drought and Rivers running dry? Fantastic turnaround, just keep an eye on line with the EA river levels and usually a river 'fining' down will fish well...and go careful.

Yep taz bin a wettun.

Ive just had a few hours sat on the inside of a bend trotting maggot and catching small silvers. The river was carrying about an extra 3-4' of water and coloured, but starting to drop. If it wasn't for another wet day being forecasted for tomorrow it would probably have been looking good for the weekend.

The trouble now is the land is so wet that every little shower is bringing the river back up. So three week into the new season and ive not got my feet wet or seen a summer glide. If it keeps this up much longer i might have to dig a ledger rod out in hope of a few lumps.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Something is seriously out of kilter. My garden runs down to a river & today there were thousands of 20/25ml long fry swimming against my slip-way. Judging by the green sheen on their backs I suspect they are roach, but in July?

Something is seriously out of kilter. My garden runs down to a river & today there were thousands of 20/25ml long fry swimming against my slip-way. Judging by the green sheen on their backs I suspect they are roach, but in July?

This weather is driving me potty now. I can only really get out at the weekend at the moment and every weekend so far that I have had time to get out the river has been a raging torrent so trotting is a bit pointless. Oh well. Hopefully it will clear up a bit soon and I can have my first session on the Ribble. Im starting to get withdrawals now! :angry:

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

This weather is driving me potty now. I can only really get out at the weekend at the moment and every weekend so far that I have had time to get out the river has been a raging torrent so trotting is a bit pointless. Oh well. Hopefully it will clear up a bit soon and I can have my first session on the Ribble. Im starting to get withdrawals now! :angry:

Its not looking like stopping any time soon. I bet i could trot a float down are road at the minute.:lol: The ribble will be a raging mess again by lunch time. :angry:

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Its not look like stopping any time soon. I bet i could trot a float down are road a the minute.:lol: The ribble will be a raging mess again by lunch time. :angry:

Its not good is it. Its not many seasons that start with me doing more canal angling than river :D

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk