Australia 2012 Report 10 - the concluding one !

Snatcher

This is my 10th and final report and has me fishing Sydneys North Harbour at Fairlight with that well known UK barbel angler Steve Pope for company. Before the report its worth giving a few facts about the harbour itself.

It is a natural harbour lying towards the SE corner of the New South Wales coast. The harbour entrance itself is just over a mile wide and can accommodate the largest ocean going vessels. It has a surface area of 21 sq miles and is up to 45 meters deep in parts.

I took this first picture from the top of Westfield Tower,a must for every tourist. The aspect is looking east towards the harbour entrance. Just off picture to the left is the Opera House and Harbour Bridge. In the foreground is the Botanical Gardens,home to thousands of large fruit bats. To the east of the Gardens is Sydney Naval Docks - this is where a naval diver was attacked by a bull shark back in 2008 and lost an arm and a leg !!!

IMG_7930prc.jpg

I took this next picture on the scenic walk from Manly to Spit. It shows the harbour entrance nicely.

IMG_7886prc.jpg

Best get back to the fishing report now. My daughter dropped me off at Fairlight mid-morning and in no time at all I was at the waters edge and tackling up. I decided to try legering squid on the bottom first as all of the fish in the harbour seem partial to it. As per usual the bites were almost immediate and as normal I was failing to connect up. At this point Steve walked down the 100yds from his daughters house and joined me,setting up similar to me.

IMG_0001prc.jpg

It was a cracking day weatherwise and there were quite a few other anglers out for the day,some had brought their families along as the rock ledges were very angler friendly.

IMG_0015prc.jpg

After missing a lot of bites I did the usual and dropped the hook size. I eventually managed to hook one and it turned up to be a Chinaman Leatherjacket. I very carefully unhooked it as the dorsal spine is poisonous and took a quick picture before returning it to the water.

IMG_0003prc.jpg

Steve said he had to pop back to the house for a while and so I fished on managing one more Chinaman Leatherjacket. At this point I decided to change tactics and stuck on a metal toby. After a few fruitless minutes decided to change over to a jellyworm fished behind a drilled bullet. A couple of casts with this and I got a real savage take and it started to take line against the drag. With a medium spinning rod and 15lb mono I could not exert too much pressure.

This must have gone on for about 10 minutes before I slowly started to get line back. Eventually I got a glimpse of it and could not believe what I had hooked - a TURTLE !!

IMG_0006prc.jpg

There is no way I could have landed this by myself so I phoned Steve and told him to get straight back as I had a turtle that needed landing. When Steve arrived back the turtle was ready for landing but it proved too big for the landing net. He simply had to reach in and grab it by its flippers.

It had been hooked on the outside of its mouth so was it an accidental hook up or did the turtle go for the lure ??? I have since read that young turtles tend to be carniverous but as they grow older tend to just eat vegitation. I will never know the answer to this. Steve then borrowed my long nosed pliers and carefully removed the hook.

IMG_0008prc.jpg

IMG_0009prc.jpg

Quite a crowd had gathered by this time as it was an unusual capture. A couple of quick photos with the turtle then I carefully returned it to the water. It swam away,non the worse apart from a small flesh wound

IMG_0012prc.jpg

We decided to call it a day at this point as how can you top catching a turtle in Sydney Harbour. On getting back to the apartment it was suggested that the local paper could be interested in the story so I e-mailed a picture to the local paper and gave my details.

Next morning the editor phoned me back saying that they wanted to publish the story and wanted a few more details from me. Well here is the picture of Snatcher making the Australian papers. As far as I could tell no one had heard of a turtle being caught from the harbour before.

IMG_0043prc.jpg

Well this was my last report,I just hope you have enjoyed sharing my fishing adventures with me. In the 3 months I had added 13 new Australian species to my list which now stands at 33. There are still a few common ones missing so lets see if I can add more to the list on my next visit in 2013.

John

Edited by Snatcher

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Is the turtle part of your list now? Great catch on light tackle.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Snatcher,

I have to say the "log" of your 10 reports was awsome!

Newt,

I wonder, can Snatcher's 10 threads (actually 9 I believe) be linked - one to the other?

Phone

Blimey, what a finalé. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Newspaper as well, fantastic.

When you get back, we've got plenty of Turtles in the pond at Wayford you could have a go at :D

Just had to get in the papers, hey? :thumbs:

Looks like a hawksbill turtle.

Was not sure what type it was Bobj !!!! Are Hawksbills common in the Sydney area ? It certainly was a strange catch and I was just pleased it swam back ok :)

John

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy