A month into the season and still no river fishing

Ken L

I almost got out for a bait fishing session last weekend but then the heavens opened and I decided against it.

Now we're back to a full on flood.I'm beginning to wander whether I should give up on this river fishing lark.

Local pools aren't an option because they are all (without exception) muddy holes destroyed by carp stocking.

I may just have to have an after work session on one of the Birmingham park pools next week just to remind me what a bent rod actually feels like.

Is anyone else having a fishing free summer ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you mean. Im lucky that my club has some magic gravel pits with some large perch, roach, bream and tench with some carp thrown in too. Problem is, they are sat 50 metres away from the trent so its always so very tantalising but the Trent is just too high for me.

Yes, I have a pool just outside Birmingham that used to be a gravel pit.

It has some cracking tench in it so I might swing by in the week to see how bad the weed is.

As I haven't caught tench for a few years, that might make for an interesting diversion.

Failing that, I could go chase the snotties in Edgbaston reservoir.

I need to do something. Even the Stour (which usually recovers within two days of a downpour) has been up continually.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I've been catching some chunky roach at this lovely place (in between getting smashed by the odd rogue carp). The rivers are largely unfishable.

I did make a new friend though, as you can see below....

dsc00769r.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dsc00763ur.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Due to my new job I have yet to get out fishing since the season opened and havnt even renewed my permit as I know I just havnt got the time :( will be asking Nv44 or rusty very nicely if I can come with them as a guest when I have a free day!

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

I've been once since the rivers opened, and that was for the sake of it. The rivers here have been hammering through and chocolate brown. It's all topsy turvy, all last winter they were low and static.

It's frustrating as I've got a load of new perch lures to get to grips with, and I really want to keep practicing the lure fishing. At this rate I'll have to join another local club so I can fish their stillwaters. They're very carp dominated (of course) but I suspect there might be some decent perch in there that don't get fished for.

I don't remember the rivers being in this state since July 2007.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I fished the Dorset Stour at the start of the season in good conditions but since then it's been over the banks most of the time. Great for barbel at times but not what I'm interested in at present. Even the stillwaters have been flooded. It can only get better.

Fished realy well for the first couple of weeks when we cruised upstream but haven`t had a bash since due to state of the thames ,Got chores done so popping out this evening after Barbel .

Viney haven`t renewed my NAA ticket yet got a few bit`s of the Thames i wan`t to try instead ,may renew after Chrimbo as it`s half price then...or at leastr used to be Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Guest redfin2
I almost got out for a bait fishing session last weekend but then the heavens opened and I decided against it.

Now we're back to a full on flood.I'm beginning to wander whether I should give up on this river fishing lark.

Local pools aren't an option because they are all (without exception) muddy holes destroyed by carp stocking.

I may just have to have an after work session on one of the Birmingham park pools next week just to remind me what a bent rod actually feels like.

Is anyone else having a fishing free summer ?

Hi Ken

Well it's been a brilliant first four weeks,on the Severn Arrow and to a lesser extent the W.A. Had eight barbel in 3 short sessions on the Lwr Severn best going 10.6 :rolleyes: Never known the Lower fish so well, all this flood water seems to have helped, not using huge leads too, just 2 ozs seems to find the line the fish prefer.

The Arrow seems to have a Barbel in every 'peg' so different to previous seasons where they were 'holed' up in deeper parts.

So I would suggest you get out there asap before this drier spell forecast put the knockers on it <_<