Overgunned tackle!

chrisinhackney

A 45lb tope, the biggest of four caught on an Ugly Stik 6lb class rod (6-10lb) with 10lb line. 6-10lb line class roughly equates to 1.25-2lb test curve!

This little rod is also excellent as a pike plugging rod.

529300_494989620526913_695558688_n.jpg

530576_494989523860256_1280486343_n.jpg

A nice action, a sensitive tip and loads of backbone. Lots of people use them for black bream and flatties....In my opinion still much too heavy for barbel though.

Oh yes, 8'2" long.

I'm catching you up Barry B)

Cor, well done to you Nick, :clap2: nice one, you only need an 85 lb conger mate then i will bow to you. :lol: How come i wasn't asked to go on this trip then, you only want me when you know that it's gonna be a rather slow day, no competition :P

did they take long to land, i can see the guy next to you looking rather bored. and it's nice to see the reel doing it's work as opposed to an angler who keeps his thumb on the spool, your getting rather good at this arn't you.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never knew a tope was a coarse species lads. :notworthy:

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Huh, the uneducated are with us, of course you get sharks swimming in fresh water, for example the zambezi and that one even eats people and eels do, not eat people though, so whats the problem with a tope? part of the shark family, gawed do we have to explain everything.

http://surferspath.mpora.com/news/environm...way-inland.html

and if you note in the picture, one with the bent rod innit. The alledged coast line, na thats part of the river thames near wolverhampton mate.

:bleh:

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

But, if sea anglers (well known in the past for using overgunned tackle) can catch heavy fast running fish like tope on very light gear, why are coarse anglers using heavier gear to fish for much smaller fish?

I fish for barbel using light gear....and land them but I see blokes using monstrous great broomsticks with leads bigger than I'd use tope fishing let alone in a river. Maybe it's because they keep using bloody great baitdroppers or they fear that any fish hooked is going to dive for roots like chub do? I spend most of my time either float fishing or light feeder/leger tactics. The lighter the line you use the lighter the lead you need and, the lighter the rod you need to lob it ot. The fish fight for longer but are not fighting flat out. Therefore, the fish recover quicker and don't suffer massive lactate build up as happens when they are bullied to the net by a 20/30lb boat rod and 18lb line...because the fish are using all of their energy and muscle types to escape!

That kind of fishing isn't sport fishing it's "I want the biggest fish at all costs" fishing....keep it on crap ponds!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

All,

Hummm?

I'd like to see the same thread on "undergunned" tackle. How sporting is it to use 2lb line on "X+" pound carp to see if you can hold the "world line weight record"?

A far more serious issue IMO. You are NOT more sporting by using light tackle. You are more sporting by using the "proper" tackle.

Phone

All,

Hummm?

I'd like to see the same thread on "undergunned" tackle. How sporting is it to use 2lb line on "X+" pound carp to see if you can hold the "world line weight record"?

A far more serious issue IMO. You are NOT more sporting by using light tackle. You are more sporting by using the "proper" tackle.

Phone

I agree, where light tackle is the correct tackle for the job, hence the thread on overgunned tackle with people using gear more suitable for shark fishing when targeting fish that rarely approach 20lb in weight. Unfortunately the carp circus have been using stupidly heavy tackle for years and now this is moving into river fishing territory. More to do with egos than sport fishing in my opinion. Using split cane rods and centrepin or fixed spool (spinning) reels loaded with 6 or 8lb line I've had no problem landing barbel to low double figures in fast flowing rivers. I've been fishing those methods for over thirty years Phone, the 'new' techniques are just the tackle industry/carp circus latest fad. Unfortunately the barbel has now become the running water carp and, anglers are employing a variation of carp angling on a fish that needs no such gear!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Worms,

Sorry, as you could surmise, I wouldn't know a barbel if one jumped into my frying pan.

I would say the Walmart type buyer accidently protect a lot of fish by buying "overgunned" tackle. What fish they do catch are usually C&R nowdays. At least the fish have a remote chance of getting back into the water without 8 ft of mainline.

Also, my experience is going to be different than yours. We Americans, by choice don't "overgun" fishing line until about 30 lbs. Our "pros" on TV often land bass airborne into the bottom of the boat from 30 - 40 feet. They are the model to which all predator anglers aspire. Horsing fish is a "technique".

Phone

Also, my experience is going to be different than yours. We Americans, by choice don't "overgun" fishing line until about 30 lbs. Our "pros" on TV often land bass airborne into the bottom of the boat from 30 - 40 feet. They are the model to which all predator anglers aspire. Horsing fish is a "technique".

That sounds absolutly terrible, for what purpose do those guys need to do that. Even if the fish is for the plate, a lot more respect needs to be shown surly?

I agree, where light tackle is the correct tackle for the job, hence the thread on overgunned tackle with people using gear more suitable for shark fishing when targeting fish that rarely approach 20lb in weight. Unfortunately the carp circus have been using stupidly heavy tackle for years and now this is moving into river fishing territory. More to do with egos than sport fishing in my opinion. Using split cane rods and centrepin or fixed spool (spinning) reels loaded with 6 or 8lb line I've had no problem landing barbel to low double figures in fast flowing rivers. I've been fishing those methods for over thirty years Phone, the 'new' techniques are just the tackle industry/carp circus latest fad. Unfortunately the barbel has now become the running water carp and, anglers are employing a variation of carp angling on a fish that needs no such gear!

Worms,

I also agree, light tackle is a joy to use, where appropriate. I too use cane rods, not for any reason in particular and certainly not because it has become fashionable over the last few years, I simply prefer the nice forgiving through action that a good cane rod provides. I have caught plenty of barbel, not to any great size, I hasten to add and have never felt 'undergunned' at any time using 6/8lb line. Regarding fish exhaustion, following a prolonged fight, I think that returning barbel quickly and holding them in the current to recover should be part of every barbel anglers standard approach to fish care.

I accept that my next comment may be controversial, but please be assured that is not my express intention; I used to regularly fish for carp and other species in known snags, this usually involved fishing 'locked up' with heavy gear, and 'hit and hold' tactics. I caught plenty of fish, but couldn't accept the regular mouth damage that occurred, and believe me it did happen, too often for my liking. I no longer intentionally fish known snags as a result... on many popular and heavily fished waters, the snags represent the only sanctuary for pressured fish.

I question the need for 3lb + tc rods and 15lb + line for most carp fishing. I often hear the argument that it is needed for the extreme distances needed to catch fish in a particular water. The near bank margins are often the most neglected areas in these waters as a result.... makes you think, doesn't it?

Having said all that, I don't think that fishing for large fish on ultra light gear is sensible either. Appropriate, balanced gear and the best fish care we can provide should be our first consideration and hopefully will ensure that we still have fish to catch in the future.

Barry,

It prevents a fast head shake and getting off. Sometimes there is a patch of weeds or lillys between the boat and the fish. Simply up and over is the technique. Newt can say more - - - or, he may want it unsaid. Really, I'm not an expert or even a beginner. It is quite colorful though.

Phone