routers

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem may not lie with your ISP or BT. A lot of internal phone wiring in the UK is substandard for data comms. One thing you can do is take all the face-plates off all your extension sockets. Make sure that the wire that is white with blue stripes connects to post 2, blue with white stripes to post 5 and remove any other wires, especially if they are connected to post 3. Post 3 was used by old phones as the "ringer" but modern phones do not use it. That old ringer wire can act like a big antenna, picking up all sorts of high frequency mush from your vicinity and feed it back into your router. Do the same at the BT master socket.

You can read more here.

http://www.rob-r.co.uk/other/UKphonecatwiring.htm

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Kiri,

FYI - I have "broadband" and receive 5.8 Mb/sec. 1000 Mb/sec is available but I'm cheap. Router is 2WIRE 156. Handles TV, telephone, and computer. The "weak link" at the computer - is my computer. For slightly more ($??) I can bring the fiber optic line from the street to my house - then from my house to the "devices". Not sure how fast that is? Since I "play" on the computer I ask myself why bother. Can't get a good answer so what I have is fine.

My daughter streams data (music etc. via wifi and I still don't notice a difference).

So, maybe a 2WIRE 156 router would be worth investigation (??)

Phone

Kiri,

FYI - I have "broadband" and receive 5.8 Mb/sec. 1000 Mb/sec is available but I'm cheap. Router is 2WIRE 156. Handles TV, telephone, and computer. The "weak link" at the computer - is my computer. For slightly more ($??) I can bring the fiber optic line from the street to my house - then from my house to the "devices". Not sure how fast that is? Since I "play" on the computer I ask myself why bother. Can't get a good answer so what I have is fine.

My daughter streams data (music etc. via wifi and I still don't notice a difference).

So, maybe a 2WIRE 156 router would be worth investigation (??)

Phone

5 meg is a hell of a lot different to .9 meg!

Don't quite understand why you targeted your statement to me?

With the type of speed listed I would be looking at the OP's line rates and location to judge rough speed ideas. .9 meg is usually miles away from local exchange or arse end of nowhere territory! If neither of those apply then something else must be up!

OP states bt are rolling out super fast and also living quite close to exchange....that tells me to expect far better than .9 meg!

For me next test is 100% plug router into bt test socket and test speeds then!

5 meg is a hell of a lot different to .9 meg!

Don't quite understand why you targeted your statement to me?

With the type of speed listed I would be looking at the OP's line rates and location to judge rough speed ideas. .9 meg is usually miles away from local exchange or arse end of nowhere territory! If neither of those apply then something else must be up!

OP states bt are rolling out super fast and also living quite close to exchange....that tells me to expect far better than .9 meg!

For me next test is 100% plug router into bt test socket and test speeds then!

I'm back, sorry about the bass fishing interlude.

tried to do a bt test with your link a few times now, 'can't please check with your service provider'. Done a bt test through thier link where i show an interest for infinity. Super fast speeds promised at the end of september in our area. Done speed test through others advertising on the net and all of them including aol, bt and others come out the same. Moved me filters around, unplugged all other phones etc and stuffed the router into the master socket etc, more tests and come out the same. The origional phone lines and extensions where installed by bt, no faults showing on anything. I haven't taken any face plates off to look at wiring and don't want to go down that route.

I am 1.5 mile away from the fone exchange, two mile non-crow flying. Bt promise upto 73 in september with infinity. Yet they can provide me with a package no faster than what i have at present without infinity. They will send a fone man around to look at my connections if i sign up for it, so are they confident that a bit of wiring internally will enable me to have a super fast broadband is the first question i have.

I am surrounded by virgin super fast broadband in my area. However i'm reluctant to go cable, perhaps this is worth considering?

For the size of the medway towns, i'm supprised that we are receiving a service liken to from back of beyond.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I'm back, sorry about the bass fishing interlude.

tried to do a bt test with your link a few times now, 'can't please check with your service provider'. Done a bt test through thier link where i show an interest for infinity. Super fast speeds promised at the end of september in our area. Done speed test through others advertising on the net and all of them including aol, bt and others come out the same. Moved me filters around, unplugged all other phones etc and stuffed the router into the master socket etc, more tests and come out the same. The origional phone lines and extensions where installed by bt, no faults showing on anything. I haven't taken any face plates off to look at wiring and don't want to go down that route.

I am 1.5 mile away from the fone exchange, two mile non-crow flying. Bt promise upto 73 in september with infinity. Yet they can provide me with a package no faster than what i have at present without infinity. They will send a fone man around to look at my connections if i sign up for it, so are they confident that a bit of wiring internally will enable me to have a super fast broadband is the first question i have.

I am surrounded by virgin super fast broadband in my area. However i'm reluctant to go cable, perhaps this is worth considering?

For the size of the medway towns, i'm supprised that we are receiving a service liken to from back of beyond.

Ok seriously, your first true test has to be via the test socket inside your master socket.

This will prove one thing for sure, if the issue is your phone line externally, or your equipment/lines internally. Im 5 miles from exchange and get 4.5 meg!

I've seen master sockets full of damp with the recent weather recently causing slow broadband as well.

Honestly, whip the faceplate off your master socket and plug th router into the test socket. It's a 5 min job to do and will give you a virtually insant idea of things. Your looking for the SYNC. Speed of your router, not a download speedtest.

Tell me your local exchange as well.

Ok seriously, your first true test has to be via the test socket inside your master socket.

This will prove one thing for sure, if the issue is your phone line externally, or your equipment/lines internally. Im 5 miles from exchange and get 4.5 meg!

I've seen master sockets full of damp with the recent weather recently causing slow broadband as well.

Honestly, whip the faceplate off your master socket and plug th router into the test socket. It's a 5 min job to do and will give you a virtually insant idea of things. Your looking for the SYNC. Speed of your router, not a download speedtest.

Tell me your local exchange as well.

Ok, my master socket is dry and secure, it was fitted many years ago, cabbling hidden behind plaster etc, so hopefully no damp issues. I will do as you say with regards to the socket and give it a go

my postcode if it helps is me12tw and the exchange is ndmed south east, cheers and thanks for the info

yup done a test within the socket with one filter straight into the computer and the result is the same.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Kiri,

Well, you are MY resident expert, that's why!. Bragging a bit I guess after your post #9. My service is new to me although I personally cannot notice any differcence. I "think" at about .5Mb so what the 'ell.

Phone

Ok, my master socket is dry and secure, it was fitted many years ago, cabbling hidden behind plaster etc, so hopefully no damp issues. I will do as you say with regards to the socket and give it a go

my postcode if it helps is me12tw and the exchange is ndmed south east, cheers and thanks for the info

yup done a test within the socket with one filter straight into the computer and the result is the same.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/NDMED

Your exchange is estimated on most checks between 2 and 3 meg.

http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/postcode_...%26advanced%3D1

Do you know how to access your router and check the sync speed within it? If so what speed is it syncing at?

Also you don't need a filter if you test your router in the maternal bt test socket. Remember you need to unscrew the bottom section of the bt master socket, remove it, and use the socket "inside" the bt box for the test. Just plug straight in, no filter. Using that internal socket disconnects everything inside your house from the test.

Edited by kirisute

i have connected inside of the master socket. i need to sort out a different lead if i do away with the filter, i have one and will give it a go, no i don't know how to check the sync speed. off ru@@dy fishing agiain in the morning, please be patient with us. :)

bt's test was between 1-3 they said the average would more than likely be 1.