A few hours at Home Lacey in Herefordshire

BoldBear

Last week I was on holiday with the wife just outside Hereford in the Wye Valley.

We stayed at Holme Lacey House which is a large historic estate house leased by Warner Holidays.

The complex has a lovely smallish lake in its grounds so I managed to fit a light float rod and reel plus a few bits and pieces into the boot. I couldn't take much as the car was full of holiday baggage. Unfortunately I wouldn't get much time to fish anyway.

HolmeLaceylake.jpg

< The lake in the grounds of Holme Lacey House where we stayed >

When we stayed there last year; there was somebody fishing and catching lots of small Perch and Roach so I didn't expect to catch much apart from a few stunted roach and Perch although I did remember seeing a few Tench bubbles moving near some lilly beds so I might be lucky.

I took a float rod capable of handling lines from around 2lb up to 5lb which I reasoned would enable me to fish for silvers (Roach, Rudd) and if I stepped up my line to 5lb I could fish for Tench if there were any in the water with an outside chance of landing any small Carp if I was lucky enough to hook one.

I was surprised to see that I was the only person at the holiday complex who had taken any fishing gear with them so I would have the lake to myself throughout the whole week but likewise there was nobody whos brain I could pick as to how best to approach the venue.

On our second days stay I managed to get a chance to spend 3 hours by the lake before I had to shower and get dressed for dinner so I hurredly setup a 2.5AA waggler, 3.5lb line with a 2.5lb hooklength tied to a fine wire size 20 hook and found a nice swim with a few features where I could catch a few roach and Perch.

I was pleasantly surprised at the stamp of Roach being caught as they were all between around 4 to 8oz with the odd Perch thrown in; and after building up my swim I was getting a fish almost every cast.

Roach1.jpg

< A couple of the Roach that I was catching on the first short session. >

Then I struck and hooked into a larger fish which soared off towards some lilies so I double checked my clutch and let it run while at the same time keeping as much tension as I dared as I only had a 2.5lb hooklength and a size 20 fine wire hook.

Luckily I managed to stop it from reaching the lilies and as long as I didn't do anything silly I knew It would eventually be mine.

It was a nice small Carp of 5lb 3oz, not huge but it had put up a great fight on the light Roach gear I was using.

< A nice 5lb 3oz Carp on Roach tackle >

HomeLaceyJuly2012006-1.jpg

I then had to pack up; it had been an enjoyable 3 hours during a rare dry spell and I didn't fancy a nagging from the wife if I was late for dinner, but I was looking forward to another chance on another day.

I only managed to get one further session on the last day of my holiday when I had another 3 hour afternoon session and the weather was not too bad..

I decided to have another session after the Roach as I still had a pint of red maggots left and I had heard from another guest that the lake had produced a couple of 2lb plus Roach within the past year.

This time I fished with the light south-westerly wind directly in my face in a corner swim close to some lillies, and once again I tackled up my float with 3.5lb line and 2.5lb hooklength and a size 20 hook fished with my hook just touching the bottom; and started building up my swim by regularly feeding a few maggots every minute or so and keeping the fish competing for food.

This time the Roach seemed to get larger with several Roach being between 12oz to 1¼lb (see pics below) and with a fish a cast it was a very pleasant 3 hours.

LargerRoach.jpg

< You don't get many of these to the pound Lol. >

I only managed to get two very short sessions on the lake but it was great fun and I am looking forward to fishing there again next year.

I may setup my stall to catch a few Tench and Carp next time though as it looks very Tenchy over by those huge reed backed lilly beds on the far side of the lake.

I'm also hoping to get a few sessions after the Barbel and Chub from the Wye the next time I go.

Tight lines

Keith (BoldBear)

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Nice pic's of a lovely lookin spot :). If it wasn't to far away I think i'd have been tempted to squeeze in a session on the river Wye though, maybe next time ;) .

I plan on doin a session down there myself this summer.

Just behind is one of the Holme Lacey beats run by Mrs Bishop, ring 01432 273 695 to book / check availability. Was £6 a day about two years ago. The only place I've been on the Wye with slabbed walk rail swims.. a bit different.

Just behind is one of the Holme Lacey beats run by Mrs Bishop, ring 01432 273 695 to book / check availability. Was £6 a day about two years ago. The only place I've been on the Wye with slabbed walk rail swims.. a bit different.

Sounds interesting Jeff :thumbs:. One of the clubs i'm in has several stretches of the Wye so i'm gonna get down and have a dabble as soon as the chance arises.

• 8 months later...

Hi Jeff,

Is this the stretch of the Wye that runs past at the bottom of the hill where there is a church next to the river?

I am going back to Holme Lacey in late June and I'm hoping to have a couple of sessions on the Wye while I'm there.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

That place looks very nice with some fine looking fish - nice work.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!