I've been Wallerin' in the dark arts...

Wordbender

There nearly wasn't this morning, mate!

I don't feel the cold like 'normal' people do. In fact, if I'M cold, the rest of the world is resigned to a blubber-based economy and eating its huskies. But...I was be-luddy freezing this morning.

I was lobbing lures into a spookily clear Thames at Chertsey and Staines, and the wind seized up my hands inside an hour. I've got all manner of superb gloves and I could have deployed them at any time but I hate casting with gloves - even my Realtree thermal jobs with the foldy-back thumb.

I stuck it for three hours or so, never had a follow, but I learned a fair bit by watching the action of my favourite lures and counting their sink rates and stuff.

No overruns this morning, either, despite some energetic casting of light lures into the wind, including backhand stylie. I'm actually very pleased with my ability to drop lures where I want them - I was regularly landing my new Bloody Roach within inches of a moored dredger at over 40 yards - and the marksman in me gains huge satisfaction from this part of the sport.

I only saw two other anglers and they, sensibly, were in a bivvy, but they told me their sleeping bags had ice on them last night. Been there, done that - still wouldn't zip up the bivvy door.

I guess I'm a fishing saddo, whatever type of fishing I'm doing. The thing is, I always enjoy myself, and I think that's what keeps me coming back for more.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Last year I went specifically for the gars using a light carp rod, and a string of home made 'feathers' (mackerel feathers are too big for gars, they often follow, but rarely take).

Using a Dexter wedge for a casting weight, I was picking up gars and mackerel on the feathers, and the odd bass on the dexter wedge.

Many of the gars were hitting the feathers just as I was lifting the lures from the water, some were coming on the drop at my maximum casting distance of 80 yards!

On some days (especially in choppy conditions) the fish are well offshore, out of casting range, but often they are under your rod tip (especially the bass).

So, I can't promise fish, but I'll pick a tide that looks good in May and post here, and we'll see how it goes. :)

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Wordbender:

There nearly wasn't this morning, mate!

I was lobbing lures into a spookily clear Thames at Chertsey and Staines,

Ewwwwww, you snob!

Yes, you can enjoy not catching when lure fishing, and no time for TV.

PM me you address Terry & I'll lend you some good videos and a DVD on pike & lure fishing to watch on your bivvy TV.

Wordbender:

Wordbender:

If Leon wants to get worked up about surface poppers the Red Snappers in Cuba go nuts for them; they average around 19-20 lbs and are brillliant on Pike Baitcasting/spinning gear.

A 20lb. surface popper you say? That'll take some casting but I'm willing to give it a go - on Leon's rods, anyway.
Yep those big Yo Zuri Poppers fight harder than the fish

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Hola Word,

You could do a lot worse than buy a few Salmo Sliders of various sizes. Sorry to add to the lure buying bug but these fellows do exactly what they say on the tin, even though they come in a packet with no instructions on them but that's irrelevant.

Pike absolutely love these things to bits and since Harris are doing them at the minute for 4 quid, you have no reason not to go there.

I love them. In fact, I love them so much, I've started collecting them just so I can cuddle them at night.

Click Here for the Salmo Slider at the bargain price of 4 quid!!

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I'm already a 'nangler, fanks Mush.

I've got a selection of soft-bodied lures plus a few grubs and a brace of Dawgs, and I've just ordered a small shoal of Salmos as recommended by young Macfarlane of this parish.

I have a couple of trade contacts so I'll be exploring my avenues (leave it) there, too. All in all, lure mania is well on its way and I'll be up your end requesting guidance before you know what's hit you.

:D

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.