not sure if i have a problem or not

Andy_1984

if anyone remembers ive had a few problems with my Gudgeon recently and ive been doing a lot of thinking and detective work but i cant make head nor tails of it...

since i setup my tank last year i have "never" had a problem with ammonia, it has always read at 0 and i would test the water every second week. now once a week i am getting at most 0.25-0.50 ppm of ammonia.

i originally thought the ammonia was the problem for the gudgeon but now im starting to think it could be PH related ? and also think my ammonia problem could be ph related as i understand it, with a Ph of 6 the beneficial bacteria cant break down the ammonia as well as it would at say 7.5 ?.

aquarium Ph reads at 6.0 all the time. my tap water reads at 7.2 - 7.6

ive removed the large piece of driftwood from the tank hoping it might have been the culprit, as it was an exceptionally large piece of driftwood. i done a water change today and i left it 4 hours after the change to let water mix then done a ph test on the aquarium water and it reads 6.0 again.

ive filled a pint glass of tap water and leaving it until tomorrow to do a Ph test on that as i think this will give a more accurate read on actual Ph, i think i read that somewhere but cant find the site to double check.

hope someone knows what im wafflin on about here :(

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

phone, the ph in my tank is 6.0 which if i understand correctly means that the good bacteria in the water that converts ammonia to nitrite to nitrate isnt working properly because the good bacteria is only operating at 10% efficiency or there abouts which is why i believe im getting ammonia reading more frequent.

the good thing about this though is that because the ph is at 6.0 the ammonia is converted to ammonium which is less toxic so im kinda greatful for that, in a way. all the other fish are absolutely fine its just the gudgeon i believe is having a hard time with it all. just hoping someone can confirm if im right in the way im thinking and if theres a solution.

In freshwater aquaria the bacteriological cycle will stall at around 5.5, i say at about as this is also due to other factors, eg. temp, hardness etc. and if stalled or stopped will dump out the good bacteria, usually seen as bottom dust in an aquarium.

Plenty of diffused air and tank-safe type products will assist in bio repair - check eyes and gills for signs of an in distress fish. I keep Discus and can NEVER get my ammonia level under 0.25, but my stock are happy and healthy {bright eyed and bushy tailed} :D If your looking to fix you PH try putting some coral sand in a clean sock, it will push it to the upper 7 range. Fish can tolerate slow changes in enviroment, its just the big swings you should avoid.

As a PPS - NEVER EVER use chemicals to alter water chemistry.

Edited by jimpy0

MOH.gifmynewsiggy.gif

www.electricunclesam.com

In freshwater aquaria the bacteriological cycle will stall at around 5.5, i say at about as this is also due to other factors, eg. temp, hardness etc. and if stalled or stopped will dump out the good bacteria, usually seen as bottom dust in an aquarium.

Plenty of diffused air and tank-safe type products will assist in bio repair - check eyes and gills for signs of an in distress fish. I keep Discus and can NEVER get my ammonia level under 0.25, but my stock are happy and healthy {bright eyed and bushy tailed} :D If your looking to fix you PH try putting some coral sand in a clean sock, it will push it to the upper 7 range. Fish can tolerate slow changes in enviroment, its just the big swings you should avoid.

As a PPS - NEVER EVER use chemicals to alter water chemistry.

thanks jimpy, im against the use of any chemicals in the aquarium and would opt for natural like the coral. i did crush up a large scallop shell and placed in a net bag and put it in some water to test it and it did keep the test water Ph at 7.6 so might give it a go inside the filter.

sadly though the gudgeon hasnt made it through and was found this morning under the filter on its side gasping. i spared him the suffering and sent him on his way :(

Phone, I reckon so. it just didnt want to eat. but during trying to figure out what might be wrong i found out about the low ph and effects on ammonia. its got me a little bit concerned as ive never had ammonia readings so its kinda out of the norm for my tank i believe.

Just to add many things can affect your water quality eg. flood waters, farmers run off, those damn water co's flushing pipes with whatever before you put it in your tank and dechlorinators wont help if it happens - i learnt the hard way and damn expensive.

I run all my tank waters through a HMA unit for my own peace of mind.

30 sec vid of my latest

th_VIDEO0001.jpg

some of my big boys

IMAG00222.jpg

Edited by jimpy0

MOH.gifmynewsiggy.gif

www.electricunclesam.com