Abu 706 Issue

AddictedToScopex

Ok so after fishing with Pete the other night and trying his CF reels out I decided to buy an Abu 706. I tried it out the other night and it was great except for one thing. I noticed when it arrived that the silver bell did not spin true. I wasnt sure if this was a design to help the line lay or something or a fault. Can anyone else who owns one give it a spin and tell me if it spins true. Also on 75% of trots it would suddently stop letting line out despite the pin not being engaged. I think this was due to silver bell issue but cant be sure. If I wound in to re-engage the pin and then released it again it fixed the issue. I could do with someone telling me if I have a faulty reel or not so I can return it if it is. Thanks.

P.S. I should add that the silver piece is not wobbly to the hand but spins with wobble if that makes sense. It feels attached solidly but the pin or whatever that it spins on does not seem to be straight.

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should have got a 501 or 506, well in my opinion ;). Your line was most likely sticking when it reached a spot on the spool where it had dug-in. I'm pretty sure the bell housing shouldn't wobble.

You should have got a 501 or 506, well in my opinion ;). Your line was most likely sticking when it reached a spot on the spool where it had dug-in. I'm pretty sure the bell housing shouldn't wobble.

Cheers ian. It does seem odd. It is the silver bit that sits inside the cowl and on top of the spool. Does seem defective. Looks like it will have to go back. I did consider the 506 but went for the more modern version. The only main difference I have seen is that the 706 has 1 pickup pin whereas the 506 seems to have the pair of them.

Cheers ian. It does seem odd. It is the silver bit that sits inside the cowl and on top of the spool. Does seem defective. Looks like it will have to go back. I did consider the 506 but went for the more modern version. The only main difference I have seen is that the 706 has 1 pickup pin whereas the 506 seems to have the pair of them.

501 would be my preference, I love em. I think you'll find the 506 / 501 have one pickup pin ;) . To prevent line digg you really need to treat it like a CP and only put on 60 to 100yd's of line and with the CF use a lower B/S or diameter strain line for trotting.

501 would be my preference, I love em. I think you'll find the 506 / 501 have one pickup pin ;) . To prevent line digg you really need to treat it like a CP and only put on 60 to 100yd's of line and with the CF use a lower B/S or diameter strain line for trotting.

Ah right it must have been a different one that I was shown then. Thought it was a 501 or a 506. Yeah I didnt put too much on there for that very reason. When it wasn't getting caught (probably due to the bell housing) it was perfect for trotting the slow water where I would have had to keep flicking a pin or pulling line off it. It let me use a nice light float too. Really enjoyed using it. Made a change to trotting with a pin. Its nice to have an extra option too if its a bit windy for the pin.

I have an Abu 706 but have never really got on with the reel. I bought it to trot light end tackle and/or windy condition use but find that the line keeps getting tangled behind the spool. A local tackle shop has suggested using pipe cleaners as a spool line guard instead of the chenille provided with the reel so I may give that a go.

The bell housing on mine spins true so I don’t think that’s contributing to the problem. The 706 is a nice little package, I just wish I could get the hang of it.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I have an Abu 706 but have never really got on with the reel. I bought it to trot light end tackle and/or windy condition use but find that the line keeps getting tangled behind the spool. A local tackle shop has suggested using pipe cleaners as a spool line guard instead of the chenille provided with the reel so I may give that a go.

The bell housing on mine spins true so I don’t think that’s contributing to the problem. The 706 is a nice little package, I just wish I could get the hang of it.

Cheers Rustry. I have seen it said that the line tangle behind the spool is an issue with not keeping the line tight(ish) when trotting etc or casting. I didnt experience it myself but of course I have only been out once with it.

Many years ago I always used a 501 for trotting but that was purely because I couldn't afford a decent pin at the time. I used my 501 for nearly all my fishing and I think it's actually my favourite reel of all time. That said I don't think you can get anywhere near the control of your float using a CF reel in windy, slow water or any other conditions.

Many years ago I always used a 501 for trotting but that was purely because I couldn't afford a decent pin at the time. I used my 501 for nearly all my fishing and I think it's actually my favourite reel of all time. That said I don't think you can get anywhere near the control of your float using a CF reel in windy, slow water or any other conditions.

Not sure what you mean there Ian. Are you saying you cant control the float with a CF?

not sure I understand the problem ..... bell housing not spinning true ? is that right or is there an issue with line tangles ? ....... ok, take it apart and clean it might be my first step ... don't overload the spool with line - it's not like a fixed spool reel -if you put the line right up to the spool rim you are going to get tangles .... but - a few years ago I bought a 704 with distortion on the bell housing ie it looke dlike it was wobbling - took it back to the shop who said 'we get one or two like this it's the way they pack em in when they ship 'em' .... !