Beavers on the march south

Elton

On 9/11/2021 at 10:48 PM, BoldBear said:

Not if the fishery is a fast running chalk stream where if the water was dammed and the flow reduced it would encourage the gravel bottoms to be silted up; because any silt particles in the water would start to settle on the bottom when the flow is reduced; meaning that the fish that rely on clean gravel in which to lay their spawn and the streamer weed and other wildlife that thrives on these clean flowing habitats would all start to die off.

Im all for beavers as long as they can be culled in places like these sort of gravel bottomed rivers and streams.

Keith

No need to cull them, just move them on, lots of places would like to have them. 

• Like 1

That’s easier said than done Norm and there are times when an out of the way stretch of river doesn’t even see an angler or anyone else; especially in the winter months.

However I agree that if they could be reliably trapped and moved a long way from that river into a vacant sluggish stream or river that is not already home to too many other beavers; then that should be fine on paper.

Perhaps the time and money involved when doing this should be passed over to the people or organisations that were responsible for introducing them in the first place, as not many Angling clubs and landowners on our chalkstreams have the time or the money or the inclination to undertake this sort of thing; especially if it’s an ongoing thing which happens regularly every few months.

They are already trying to combat water extractions by the water authorities/companies who don’t believe in spending any of their shareholders money on using existing (or new) water storage reservoirs and are currently taking their water directly from our chalkstreams.

Having licences to cull the beavers (preferably without inflicting pain) would still be preferable to many, and be a lot easier and quicker and cheaper to do for most clubs or landowners who are continually trying to preserve these chalkstreams.

If only it was as simple and as straight forward as many of us humans think!

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Hope beaver hats become fashionable again and the problem will be gone .

How many wild mink would be here if mink coats hadnt been forced out of fashion?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 1 month later...