A New Centrepin from OKUMA

PeterNE1

If I were to use a reel with mechanical aids such as drags. or one way clutches then I'd may as well use a fixed spool and make the casting easier too!!

Best coment Ive read so far re drags on pins.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I can remember fishing with a centrepin as a kid and taking loops of line from between all the rings on the rod in order to cast further...........

That was before I could afford my first fixwd spool, an Intrepid, of course :)

Edited by Old geezer

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional :-)

I can remember fishing with a centrepin as a kid and taking loops of line from between all the rings on the rod in order to cast further...........

That was before I could afford my first fixwd spool, an Intrepid, of course :)

You should have learned to wallise cast.

You should have learned to wallise cast.

To be fair, I was only about 9 and i don't think I ever saw that in mr Crabtree goes fishing :whistling:

Edited by Old geezer

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional :-)

is it not in one of the books ,with a description that only a contortionist could do .i think he called it a avon cast (avoiding copyright) and shows him casting too the opersite bank .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Having never used a trent :) I'm still going to disagree :P

I use my 'pin mainly for tench fishing - and I use it because I enjoy playing a good fish on a 'pin, I like the direct contact between me and the fish. If I were to use a reel with mechanical aids such as drags. or one way clutches then I'd may as well use a fixed spool and make the casting easier too!!

Mat

There is no reason why you couldn't play your fish without the drag in those circumstances. But if you were ledgering a river you might need a reel that would hold the lead against the current without you having to hold it AND still be able to play the fish without drag. The drag can be switched on or off at the turn of a switch, unlike an Aerial type whereby once you have set the drag you have to turn the knurled screw all the way back or wind against the drag and the fish. That is the biggest disadvantage with an Aerial drag system. If I am using a Trent for float fishing on the Vienne I have it in free spool. In that mode it is as free running as a Sheffield. I will put the drag on if I need it, such as when landing a decent barbel or river carp. That way with only one hand on the rod, the other on the net, I can be sure that I can have a good grip on the rod and should the fish spook at the net, the clutch will do its job. Similarly the clutch can be set light as a baitrunner when ledgering a bolt rig for carp, switched off if preferred when a fish is on (I don't, I leave the drag set light) and turned on (or in my case increased) when landing it single-handed, The clutch setting is easily adjusted in use whether it is switched on or off.

As for casting with a centrepin, there are many ways to do it. Pulling a couple of loops of line through the rings is perhaps the easiest way, but you can also cast straight from the reel beachcasting style with a ledger or spinner. Back in the 1930's Sheffield anglers fishing for roach on the Lincolnshire drains used to cast tiny quill floats right across the Witham using a casting method that you associate with fly-fishing. Nottingham anglers float fishing on the Trent developed a cast that was straight off the reel and I believe that this was then adapted and improved by Wallis. His method is to get the reel spinning by pulling against it rather than relying on the inertia of the weight of tackle in use. But, right back in the Victorian era, anglers would cast small spinners straight off the centrepin reel. It was only with the introuduction of the threadline or fixed spool reel as we now call it that anglers have lost the skills of casting with a centrepin.

Regards, Clive

Me to.....and the terrible line twist that "Sidecast" reels put in mono! :rolleyes:

Be honest, have you ever actually experienced this, or are you simply perpetuating the 'myth' that has sprung up on the internet? :rolleyes:

The reason I ask is that a/ most people have never owned such a reel, or used one at any length, and b/ the problem simply does not occur to any meaningful degree, regardless of what 'educated' laws of physics would seem to indicate.

I DO own (and use) reels that function in this way - older models and one of the Young's Ray Waltons, and have never, repeat NEVER, had an issue with line twist caused by using such reels during the neck-end of 40 years of anglng! ... it's far more likely to occur using ANY pin (or fixed spool!) during the retrieve of tackle against the current, particularly when using a very common bait - double maggot, which can spin like a propeller, and put a serious twist into line, regardless of whether the reel is made by Paul Witcher, or marketed by Dragon Carp!

Be honest, have you ever actually experienced this, or are you simply perpetuating the 'myth' that has sprung up on the internet? :rolleyes:

I NEVER make any statement or comment that isnt backed up by experience.

Mono very qickly takes on twist.I have a "Rolling Pin" as well and its fine with the braid I use on it.Yes it still puts twist in but due to the lack of stretch/elasticity in braid its not a problem.HOWEVER with the Alvey Side Caster beach reels (I used in Surfcasting tournements with mono ) it certainly is a problem.With any of the centrepins I used with either an "Adaptacast" or "twizel hook" it has been apparent (when using mono after even a few sessions.

Myth? No a simple fact if you have regularly used one!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!