A New Centrepin from OKUMA

PeterNE1

In my early youth I used an Allcocks pin for most of my fishing, even used it for spinning for seatrout and pike. My style was to "bat" the spool as I cast, never any great distance, across and down the Arun or Rother was sufficient. Surprisingly accurate both for distance and accuracy.

Is there a name for that style of cast?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

yeh ,the slapdash i think . :D any cast that gets you out to the right spots a goodun :clap:

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

In my early youth I used an Allcocks pin for most of my fishing, even used it for spinning for seatrout and pike. My style was to "bat" the spool as I cast, never any great distance, across and down the Arun or Rother was sufficient. Surprisingly accurate both for distance and accuracy.

Is there a name for that style of cast?

Den

Isn't that "Nottingham" style Den?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

poledark,

I've seen - mostly old timers - do some amazing things with multiplyers. It's almost always, "how they learned as a kid" casting. I think reel technology has definately taken some of the "survival skills" out of everyday casting. I'd bet, althought I haven't much experience with the American northwest where pins rule, the same is true for "pure" casting the world over.

Some of that old stuff (reels) required maximum participation by the angler. Not true any longer. Unless of course, you are a long cast participant. When you are trying to pitch 4 oz 700 meters you also better be an expert in respooling cause you ain't pickin those birdsnest out.

There is no question there is a place for "pins". It has to do with angler purpose - usually having fun. I cringe at the "better than" remarks.

It's like the Model-T guys trying to justify 80 yr old automobiles because they get good milage.

Phone

Edited by Phone

Budgie, I always thought the Nottingham was where you drew loops of line from between the rings.

Chav, "slapdash" maybe, but it certainly worked for me :)

Edit..page 45, Fig 20, casting in the Nottingham style, drawing loops of line from between the rings.

Bickerdyke, "Book of the All round Angler" 1900 from where I learnt most of my fishing skills :)

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

Budgie, I always thought the Nottingham was where you drew loops of line from between the rings.

Chav, "slapdash" maybe, but it certainly worked for me :)

Den

Yes quite possibly :D

The three "recognised styles" (all of which are really a variation on each other!) that I know of/heard of-

1. Where you take loops of line but the reel remains stationary.

2. Where you pull on the line to set reel spinning.(Wallis style?)

3. casting as you describe setting the reel in motion by "batting" (normally done with heavier gear like pike gear)

And lastly my own "distance pin cast" variation that takes multiple loops of line and a pull on the loops sets the reel spinning.!

Not entirely sure if 1 or 3 is "Nottingham" style to be 100% but thought it was 3 due to the "Nottingham" reels being favoured to do this with? Steve (Chavender surely you know?) or do we need to contact Mr Roe?

I dont suppose it matters a jot which one is used as long as it does the job you want! Ive certainly got no "Pin snobbery" about me but I do think its important to try and remember the right names and keep them known as its a big part of angling history. I simply struggle to remember these days :(

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

It is quite possible/likely that what is now called the Nottingham style is different to the original, but for me, it is as described by Bickerdyke :) Is/are there any earlier references that are different?

Fantastic book, stuffed full of knowledge and tactics,and swim selection. The section on Pike fishing was published as a seperate volume, and I devoured it many times. Somewhere along the line I lost that copy, but it is a chapter in the full volume of "The Book of the Allround Angler" certainly worth getting a copy if you can :)

Den

I NEVER make any statement or comment that isnt backed up by experience.

Mono very qickly takes on twist.I have a "Rolling Pin" as well and its fine with the braid I use on it.Yes it still puts twist in but due to the lack of stretch/elasticity in braid its not a problem.HOWEVER with the Alvey Side Caster beach reels (I used in Surfcasting tournements with mono ) it certainly is a problem.With any of the centrepins I used with either an "Adaptacast" or "twizel hook" it has been apparent (when using mono after even a few sessions.

Myth? No a simple fact if you have regularly used one!

We seem to have almost entirely contradictory experiences here, of line twist caused (or not!) by this kind of reel. :rolleyes:

Perhaps it simply comes down to the way we are using the reels. I'm using mine for fishing, over water, without problems.

You're experiencing problems using what is in comparison a massive reel and very heavy line, launching lead at the horizon, presumably over land, and retrieving said lead / weight across a solid (land) surface too, which has little or no relevence to actually fishing.

I'm guessing that these factors are perhaps contributing to your problems - it's only speculation on my part, but as I seem to be able to fish for many years without problems, it would seem logical that (your) line twist issues are being caused by the way you are using the rod and reel, no? ... as it's clearly possible to be able to fish using such a reel without incurring a problem with line twist.

However, let's put this into perspective. IF line twist has been happening to the degree that it becomes problematic, it's normally a very simple issue to resolve, by simply letting line flow with the current (without end tackle attached) and then retrieve against the current ... allegedly, as I've never had the need to try it :D

Edited by PeterNE1

Simple really, if you use a sidecast reel then each coil of line that comes off puts a single twist in the line. If you then turn the reel back and wind in the twist remains in the line. Each time you turn the reel to cast it adds more twist.

I hate nylon and line twist :)

Den

Simple really, if you use a sidecast reel then each coil of line that comes off puts a single twist in the line. If you then turn the reel back and wind in the twist remains in the line. Each time you turn the reel to cast it adds more twist.

I hate nylon and line twist :)

Den

I wouldn't disagree with the 'physics' of that explanation - it's how the laws of science explain that something should occur, all things being equal ... but it holds true only if both ends of the line are actually 'fixed' to something and unable to rotate along their axis ... and trotting a float down a river definitely doesn't fall into that category ;)

I suspect that fine mono line 'slips' rather than twists as expected as it leaves the reel, hence the lack of actual twist in lines during use, rather than the theoretical twist that 'should' be present, but simply isn't in most cases ... any slight twist imparted as the line leaves the reel in such a fashion is likely unravelled by the flow of water along it, I'm guessing?