A New Centrepin from OKUMA

PeterNE1

well a lot of spinning was done here using a centrepin , (3"-3½") wide spoolled reel mounted on top of the rod baitcaster style .with spoons and spinners of sufficiant weight to take line directly off the spool.

in north america / canada they do what is termed as a Bc cast ,where you cast directly off the reel ,in a beach/baitcasting style very good for chucking heavier weights long distance

the americans/canadians like to borrow our techniques and reinvent them as their own :PB)

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Chav,

I tend to agree with your premise and certainly I am no historian. I spend a lot of money to have "new" stuff. I think antiques and junk are the same thing thing. Just different names.

Equally, it's hard to reinvent the wheel. You know, something that will hold your string. It is an embellishment to atribute names and degrees of difficulty to a pretty simple function. I'm glad there are those who do - but it's not me. At some point the "kit" becomes the hobby and the fish are secondary. I suspect you are right in that Americans (and Canadians) are pretty straight forward. Whatever catches fish - with or without a name we'll try. The British Columbia Canadian guys are much like the UK British anglers (execpt Canadians have lots of big fish). They think if it is not worth doing "right" you just as well leave it to the Native American Indians and their spears. Like the British, those Canadians look like telephone line repairmen when they go fishing. The "purists" have more crap haning off of them than you could put in a barrow.

I don't believe "angling history" and angling have much in common. In 1926, William Radcliffe published a very scholarly book about early angling, "Fishing From Earliest Times. He attributes the spool and rod to early Egypt. Early on, it was the rod that distinguished "sport fishing" from other forms of fishing.

Phone

well a lot of spinning was done here using a centrepin , (3"-3½") wide spoolled reel mounted on top of the rod baitcaster style .with spoons and spinners of sufficiant weight to take line directly off the spool.

in north america / canada they do what is termed as a Bc cast ,where you cast directly off the reel ,in a beach/baitcasting style very good for chucking heavier weights long distance

the americans/canadians like to borrow our techniques and reinvent them as their own :PB)

Yeah - I'd always been aware of casting this way, though never tried it B) ... it was just so impressive to watch as he made it look effortless - though I guess from the age of the guy he had been doing it for some time ... practice and familiarity making such things seem so much easier :rolleyes:

There again ... he could NOT get his hands to co-ordinate with my fixed spool reel - or get his head around why anyone would want to use such a complicated contraption (the nearest I can get to translating what he said, on a public forum :lol: ), when a simple centre pin would do the job just as easiliy! :rolleyes:

Edited by PeterNE1

I don't think that the confusion can be easily untangled. John Wilson describes the Nottingham Style cast as drawing one or more loops through the rings whilst the Fishing Museum Online has the following advice:

I doubt that many will confuse the Macintosh cast though. That was written about by carp anglers in the 1950's and involved laying a coat on the ground, pulling loops of line from the reel and laying them on the coat, inverting the loops and casting so as the loops ran out through the rings. Yeah, right. What could possibly go wrong?

I seem to recall a certain Mr. Crabtree using that cast when after carp with young Peter...using par-boiled spuds on trebles if I remember correctly...only I think he used a newspaper instead of a macintosh!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I seem to recall a certain Mr. Crabtree using that cast when after carp with young Peter...using par-boiled spuds on trebles if I remember correctly...only I think he used a newspaper instead of a macintosh!

Nearly Nick but I have you at a disadvantage with the book being readily to hand;

MrCrabtree-1.jpg

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Nearly Nick but I have you at a disadvantage with the book being readily to hand;

MrCrabtree-1.jpg

I think that Mr.C was improvising as he had forgotten his Macintosh.

One of the problems about trying to define angling methods is that before angling magazines were widespread there could be similar methods in use in different areas all with their own local names. There are also lots of re-inventing the wheel. I saw barbel anglers on the Wharfe in Yorkshire using what is now called method feeder around 1970. The fixed weight, or bolt rig was practised in very early times then gave way to the running ledger and then was re-invented.

Going back to PeterNE's comments; I live on a French farm and the owner of the chateau has three Latvians working on the buildings. They all fish and one of them, the eldest uses a small centrepin to cast Ondex type spoons in the river. I saw him wading up to his chest the other day casting away without a care (or rod licence) in the world. He got a catfish that I weighed for him at 11lb-15oz. He speaks as much English as I do Russian and has never come across pounds and ounces so we agreed on 6 kilos (or 12 meals) for the weight. He had broken his telescopic spinning rod in the fight so I gave him a new one I had but didn't use. I also gave him some plugs I had as I thought they would be easier to cast, but he told me in sign language that it is the vibrations from the spoon that attract the catfish.

Regards, Clive

Love the Crabtree episode.

Method feeder and boilie or to be more precise on of Phone's packbaits

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• 1 year later...

So they dont make a lever drag centre pin; I'm shocked :uhuh:

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.