A New Centrepin from OKUMA

PeterNE1

last two ??? everything that followed the sheffield surley .trent (colour could of been better ,a pointless slipping clutch drag [err thats what thumbs are for] ,The kennet (stupid fixed line guard ,and the change to shiny blingy silver colour just wrong ) and the fugley raw II ,well its just plain effin ugly !FACT! (<<< this fact was brought to you purley for the benifit of Elton , Fact! :D ) ,and now this attempt to copy the holland & wilkinson ,sheffield copy ,if it was all red and didn't have the star drag wheel and cut the price accordingly too that of the sheffield ,i'd have one ,i likes a nice red reel and think it'd look great ,just red .

:D

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

PeterNE,

Probably right. They've lost their luster over here.

Tigger,

"designed and engineered in Germany" - - - a bearing? The ball kind or the needle point kind? Only if they use modern Asian metalurgy. The Far East fella's have to perform, they don't have a reputation to fall back on. As for reel aesthetics - I'll go with the French (although they've designed some REALLY ugly reels - they're up for a risk. I.E. both the fixed spool spinning reels and Abu Garcia style baitcasters were [probably] French). I'd bet the very TOP hand-made reel makers in the UK use Asian tools and technology nowdays. Not saying it is good - just saying.

Phone

Do you actually know the standard and quality of the machinery and materials and heat treatment and all the other variables that the Germans are using in the making of their bearings Phone? Are they the same type as used in the BMW cars? Are they even the same as "the Chinese" are using? Are they superior and brand new machines?

Or do you think they are using old methods and machines,"inferior metals" and poor quality control? Not like the Germans to do that.

Sorry if it seems I am picking on you, but I get a bit fed up with all the bar room experts who pass judgment on engineering products from any country...........especially when it comes to metallurgy and bearings.

I seem to remember the days when anything Japanese was deemed to be rubbish.

OK, so some of you don't like the colour and maybe the overall look of the reel, but I doubt there is a single person posting on AN who is qualified or able to comment on the bearings used.

I think it looks OK :) but I had enough of 'pins when I was a youngster, and grew out of the habit of flicking them to see how long they would spin, and "running in" a real one instead of the "cheap fakes with (cough, spit, choke) ball bearings in them.

I've got a "cheap" Okuma beachcasting multi with ball races in, and so far (only 6 months of hammering them 3 days a week) it has stood up well. The sort of stress and strain that would take a 100 years of centrepin use to match. Is it possible that they are using the same type and make of bearings in both reels?

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

last two ??? everything that followed the sheffield surley .trent (colour could of been better ,a pointless slipping clutch drag [err thats what thumbs are for] ,The kennet (stupid fixed line guard ,and the change to shiny blingy silver colour just wrong ) and the fugley raw II ,well its just plain effin ugly !FACT! (<<< this fact was brought to you purley for the benifit of Elton , Fact! :D ) ,and now this attempt to copy the holland & wilkinson ,sheffield copy ,if it was all red and didn't have the star drag wheel and cut the price accordingly too that of the sheffield ,i'd have one ,i likes a nice red reel and think it'd look great ,just red .

Strange that these pointless slipping clutch drags seem to have caught on in fixed spool, multiplier and fly reels. :rolleyes: A bit like those pointless carbon rods. After all, what are trees for? Plastic floats - whatever will they think of next? I'll bet before long there will be some anglers sitting on proper chairs instead of perching on those wicker baskets. Progress - Bah! ;)

Regards, Clive

i only said they was just pointless on a centrepin .with baitcasters ,multipliers and fixed spooled reels a drag is required ,you might get away with just using your thumb with a small baitcaster if your perch fishing ,but you deffinatly wouldn't want too try just thumb pressure if you where sailfish fishing or you'd soon run out of thumb .and fixed spooled reels you can barely get a finger too a modern reels spool let alone a thumb but you could just backwind so a drag isnt imperative .its just centrepins that don't need them as most have rims in reach of the thumb .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Den, I reckon the Germans manufacture the elite of engineering. They seem to excel in most things they do. As far as I was aware their bearings are as good as they get.

Proof of a pudding is in the eating. Okuma pins must be the best selling pins in the last few years. They work well and you don't hear of them stopping working very often.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Proof of a pudding is in the eating. Okuma pins must be the best selling pins in the last few years. They work well and you don't hear of them stopping working very often.

Absolutly Brian, I did a little trotting the other day with one of those aventa pro's I recently got and in all honesty i'd be hard pushed to fault it, it was a pleasure to use.

Absolutly Brian, I did a little trotting the other day with one of those aventa pro's I recently got and in all honesty i'd be hard pushed to fault it, it was a pleasure to use.

I toyed with buying the one i had hold of that was in that sale with a veiw of sticking it on ebay. The only reason i didn't was i knew it would never get put on ebay. If i see any bigger display cabinets on my travels Ian i'll give you a shout. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I toyed with buying the one i had hold of that was in that sale with a veiw of sticking it on ebay. The only reason i didn't was i knew it would never get put on ebay. If i see any bigger display cabinets on my travels Ian i'll give you a shout. :)

I just couldn't resist it for £50 notes, the reels are corkers. Yeaph your right Brian my small cabinet is just a bit to small now :lol: .

I notice that the new design still has the awful 'knurled knob' for the ratchet on the back.

When will they learn that all the good pins have a well positioned lever so that it can be turned off and on with a flick of a finger instead of having to fiddle about with slippery grime ridden and sometimes freezing stubby fingers trying to turn a stupid knob???

If they still can't get that right there is something wrong with their design team.

Apart from the knurled ratchet knob and maybe the colour I do like my Sheffied pin and think it's a great workhorse and trots a stick really well but I hate using that horrible knurled Knob.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)