A New Centrepin from OKUMA

PeterNE1

i only said they was just pointless on a centrepin .with baitcasters ,multipliers and fixed spooled reels a drag is required ,you might get away with just using your thumb with a small baitcaster if your perch fishing ,but you deffinatly wouldn't want too try just thumb pressure if you where sailfish fishing or you'd soon run out of thumb .and fixed spooled reels you can barely get a finger too a modern reels spool let alone a thumb but you could just backwind so a drag isnt imperative .its just centrepins that don't need them as most have rims in reach of the thumb .

Depends what you use your centrepin for. Not everybody attaches them to cane rods and trots for dace. Get a three pound mullet or double figure carp or barbel on the other end of your line and you will realise how good and useful the drag on the Trent is. I cannot see why you can accept a screw drag on an Aerial when you can easily use your thumb to control the speed of the float's progress, yet decry the more useful fighting drag system of the Trent. :g:

I agree with boldbear though that the drag nut should be a more accessible lever.

Regards, Clive

Depends what you use your centrepin for. Not everybody attaches them to cane rods and trots for dace. Get a three pound mullet or double figure carp or barbel on the other end of your line and you will realise how good and useful the drag on the Trent is. I cannot see why you can accept a screw drag on an Aerial when you can easily use your thumb to control the speed of the float's progress, yet decry the more useful fighting drag system of the Trent. :g:

I agree with boldbear though that the drag nut should be a more accessible lever.

I've never had any prob's when playing all sizes of fish when using my thumb as the drag. I often catch barbel in fast flowing water and using my thumb on the rim of the drum is great, much better and more precise than any mechanical drag.

I suppose if you want the drag facility then star drag is good...i'll stick to my thumb :).

I think this thread shows why there will never be a pin that suits everyone.

Having the button for the ratchet tucked away around the back is fine by me. I only ever use it when i pack and unpack my gear and i wouldn't want it in the way when i'm fishing.

IMO a big bit of using a pin is the ultimate control you get from using your thumb as a clutch. Even on quite light hooklengths I'm 100% confident when i lock down hard on the rim to pull a good fish into the net (or at any stage in the fight) that if the fish kicks away i can release my grip (the clutch) faster than it can pull the rod down.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I've never had any prob's when playing all sizes of fish when using my thumb as the drag. I often catch barbel in fast flowing water and using my thumb on the rim of the drum is great, much better and more precise than any mechanical drag.

I suppose if you want the drag facility then star drag is good...i'll stick to my thumb :).

With the Trent you have the choice of either, or both. Just as you have on a fly reel or multiplier. And, no one has yet explained why a drag as featured on an Aerial is deemed acceptable by traditionalists, but the one on the Trent is so unacceptable? :rolleyes:

Regards, Clive

With the Trent you have the choice of either, or both. Just as you have on a fly reel or multiplier. And, no one has yet explained why a drag as featured on an Aerial is deemed acceptable by traditionalists, but the one on the Trent is so unacceptable? :rolleyes:

You have the choice of either with many other reels not only the trent. The drag system on other reels looks much better and isn't as ugly as the big star on the trent.

You have the choice of either with many other reels not only the trent. The drag system on other reels looks much better and isn't as ugly as the big star on the trent.

Thst is not the case. Only the Trent has a one-way disc drag. On the Aerial types the drag is applied on the retrieve as well. Also, the drag on the Trent is far more powerful than any reel of the Aerial type I have used or handled.

Regards, Clive

Thst is not the case. Only the Trent has a one-way disc drag. On the Aerial types the drag is applied on the retrieve as well. Also, the drag on the Trent is far more powerful than any reel of the Aerial type I have used or handled.

Yeah, I know the trent drag only operates when giving line but that's drag in'it....well I thought it was. Also why would you need a drag to hold a run away train ? Even when using a drag on a fixed spool I don't have it screwd right up tight and I often use my finger on the spool of a fixed spool reel to give the correct drag rather than adjust the drag (screwing it up tight).

At the end of the day you like the trents...I'm not a fan :P;) .

I'll stick to my Lythes, Witchers and the likes thankyou B) .

Edited by Tigger

Yeah, I know the trent drag only operates when giving line but that's drag in'it....well I thought it was. Also why would you need a drag to hold a run away train ? Even when using a drag on a fixed spool I don't have it screwd right up tight and I often use my finger on the spool of a fixed spool reel to give the correct drag rather than adjust the drag (screwing it up tight).

At the end of the day you like the trents...I'm not a fan :P;) .

I'll stick to my Lythes, Witchers and the likes thankyou B) .

Full marks for ducking the question. Now try answering it.

Regards, Clive

Full marks for ducking the question. Now try answering it.

""With the Trent you have the choice of either, or both. Just as you have on a fly reel or multiplier. And, no one has yet explained why a drag as featured on an Aerial is deemed acceptable by traditionalists, but the one on the Trent is so unacceptable? rolleyes.gif""

You mean the one above ? Why would I try to duck a question ? I thought I had answerd it or given my opinion / slant on it at least.

Nicepix, obviously you like the trent and it's large star drag but others arn't so keen, no big deal m8, you use it and enjoy it and i'll plod on with my pins :).