A New Centrepin from OKUMA

PeterNE1

""With the Trent you have the choice of either, or both. Just as you have on a fly reel or multiplier. And, no one has yet explained why a drag as featured on an Aerial is deemed acceptable by traditionalists, but the one on the Trent is so unacceptable? rolleyes.gif""

You mean the one above ? Why would I try to duck a question ? I thought I had answerd it or given my opinion / slant on it at least.

Nicepix, obviously you like the trent and it's large star drag but others arn't so keen, no big deal m8, you use it and enjoy it and i'll plod on with my pins :) .

i don't beleave they're neccacerily needed on a aerial and can only think of one use and that too retard the spool whilst wallis casting ,because some are just too free running and a small amount of drag will help prevent over runs ,it woulnt effect the start up speed but as the spool begins to loose momentum the drag will have a greater effect and slow the spools faster .and its easily un-adjusted with a flick of the thumb or finger on the adjuster .

not all aerials have the drag fitted ,any of mine have its locked off tight as i've no use for it ,but it also serves another perpose ,it help balance the spool as it help equalise & counter the weight of the release latch .

the trent would be fine if it had a different drag adjuster that was less intrusive ,its not the first centrepin too have a star drag .but they didn't interferewith the use , or if the adjuster was at least on the outside of the spool rather than tucked away under the fasia .personally i think it would of been a better design if the adjuster was a knarled dial located half way down the hub/spindle housing ,or a wheel that extended down over the hub and easily accessable and non interfering .and yes i've used a trent ,& didn't like the possitioning of the prongs of the star drag adjuster ,as i bumpt my finger on the prongs a couple of times when i tried to wind the spool and had too take my eye off the float too make sure my finger went into a vacent recess ,if i had too check every time i tried too wind in via the recese's on the front fasia it'd soon ger teadious ,so its a non starter for me .

if people can get passed the colour and like them then good luck too them ,they're not for me .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

i don't beleave they're neccacerily needed on a aerial and can only think of one use and that too retard the spool whilst wallis casting ,because some are just too free running and a small amount of drag will help prevent over runs ,it woulnt effect the start up speed but as the spool begins to loose momentum the drag will have a greater effect and slow the spools faster .and its easily un-adjusted with a flick of the thumb or finger on the adjuster .

not all aerials have the drag fitted ,any of mine have its locked off tight as i've no use for it ,but it also serves another perpose ,it help balance the spool as it help equalise & counter the weight of the release latch .

the trent would be fine if it had a different drag adjuster that was less intrusive ,its not the first centrepin too have a star drag .but they didn't interferewith the use , or if the adjuster was at least on the outside of the spool rather than tucked away under the fasia .personally i think it would of been a better design if the adjuster was a knarled dial located half way down the hub/spindle housing ,or a wheel that extended down over the hub and easily accessable and non interfering .and yes i've used a trent ,& didn't like the possitioning of the prongs of the star drag adjuster ,as i bumpt my finger on the prongs a couple of times when i tried to wind the spool and had too take my eye off the float too make sure my finger went into a vacent recess ,if i had too check every time i tried too wind in via the recese's on the front fasia it'd soon ger teadious ,so its a non starter for me .

if people can get passed the colour and like them then good luck too them ,they're not for me .

But you said that a drag was not necessary on a centrepin yet you have several with drags including a £200 Browning. And on the Trent you can retard the spool AND bat the line back in as the drag is one way. Yes, the star drag is not ideal. But, neither is the screw drag on an Aerial. At least the Okuma drag can be adjusted in use.

""With the Trent you have the choice of either, or both. Just as you have on a fly reel or multiplier. And, no one has yet explained why a drag as featured on an Aerial is deemed acceptable by traditionalists, but the one on the Trent is so unacceptable? rolleyes.gif""

You mean the one above ? Why would I try to duck a question ? I thought I had answerd it or given my opinion / slant on it at least.

Nicepix, obviously you like the trent and it's large star drag but others arn't so keen, no big deal m8, you use it and enjoy it and i'll plod on with my pins :).

Not for the first time you have offered a negative opinion on the Trent whilst demonstrating to those who have used the reel that you have absolutely no experience of it. Some time ago I put Chesters in my 'Ignore List' because of his posts made in the Canoe Access thread. There he told a retired solicitor and an ex-police officer that they knew nothing of the law whilst purporting to have knolwedge of it and demonstrating in his posts that he was clueless. Here we have you offering your expertise on a subject tht you know nothing about and when challenged haven't even got the decency to answer the question posed. You claim to have reels that have a drag system, yet cannot answer why they are acceptable but the drag on the Trent is unnecessary. I think it is time for you to join Chesters in the sin bin.

Regards, Clive

Not for the first time you have offered a negative opinion on the Trent whilst demonstrating to those who have used the reel that you have absolutely no experience of it. Some time ago I put Chesters in my 'Ignore List' because of his posts made in the Canoe Access thread. There he told a retired solicitor and an ex-police officer that they knew nothing of the law whilst purporting to have knolwedge of it and demonstrating in his posts that he was clueless. Here we have you offering your expertise on a subject tht you know nothing about and when challenged haven't even got the decency to answer the question posed. You claim to have reels that have a drag system, yet cannot answer why they are acceptable but the drag on the Trent is unnecessary. I think it is time for you to join Chesters in the sin bin.

Blimey, you for real, what are you on about....do me a favour and put me on ignore, not that you need to as I can make sure I don't reply to you in future, I certainly won't loose any sleep over it :thumbs:

nicepix ,i also said that those that come fitted with drags ,i have the drag locked off ,as i don't use them ,and i have used a trent ,as i did consider buying one .i borrowed one for the day ,didn't like it ,wont buy one

i only ever give a honest opinion ,if i like something then i say so wetther it cost £1 or £1000 ,& i don't care what names on the tackle .i treat all tackle as equal wether its drennen or dragoncarp

I've used or owned over 100 different centrepins ,i've probably read more article's and researched everything ,from manufacturing to using them and there history as much as i can.as i do with most thing angling ,because if something intrests me i like too fully understand it & i like to give a imformed opinion and like too have my facts right .plenty of people dont always agree with my opinion on here or other forums ,i'm ok with that .and i dont go having a hissy fit ,acting like a big girls blouse whenever they dont like the things i like .

your little outburst says more about you than me

so from this point you'll have your wish ,i wont converse with you again ,nor acknowledge your existence here or anyware else on the net ,please ad me too your ignor list .your not worth wasting anymore of my time on ,sayonara

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

All,

Here's what the manufacturer says:

""""SHEFFIELD DRII CENTERPIN / FLOAT REEL -new addition-

Manufacturedr By Okuma, replaces the Sheffield Sirata Drag-Centerpin Reel. The "NEW" DRII float reel has all the original Drag features and design of the original Sirata but with the exception of two new features 1.- The DRII is ambidextrous in design allows either a left or right hand use. 2.- the new drag system is now silent-on the retrieve, as opposed to the soft audible click sound originally experienced in the Sirata. The DRII's drag system allows you to fight fish without having to pressure-lock the spool with your fingers as in traditional centerpins. It's easy to use, first by pre-setting the drag on the reel and keeping in the off position while casting and drifting. Upon hooking as fish, just turn to the on position to engage the drag for fish control. The DRII's Drag works flawless, exerting line in a smooth-even manner and with loads of fish-holding power to spare, loading the drag even more if needed via the star lever. All drag system mechanisms are comprised of all metal components i.e. anti-reverse lever, clicker assembly, sprocket and are all capsulated which should minimize grit interference in the field. Available only in Black/Red two tone color as shown"""""

Bet you all already knew that already.

Already had my "tit in a ringer" by the experts over where it's made and the materials source. I ain't even going there. Nice marketing touch though.

Phone

Sorry Phone :) "tit in wringer" conjures up a picture :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

So there you have it folks:

If you don't use a drag then don't buy the Okuma because it has a less than useless one :blink:

Also, don't buy the Okuma because:

i) You can't wind in using your finger through the spokes

ii) You can wind in using your finger through the spokes but can't watch the float while you are winding in :blink:

If you prefer to pay £500 and wait four years to commission someone to make you a copy of an original that you can buy in good condition for a fraction of the price then don't buy the Okuma.

If you like to keep your reels in a box looking good until it is time to sell them in order to make room for another good looking reel in a box then don't buy an Okuma.

But, if you want a centrepin for, let's say, to fish with, then why not look at one with a great reputation, superb engineering, silky smooth action AND a drag system that allows you to trot a small float or hold a ledger hard against a strong current, act as a baitrunner or simply to ensure that the reel does not give line at critical moments AND is one-way so you re not winding against the drag and the fish, then why not go down to your local tackle shop, stick your finger through the spokes and give it a whirl? It is the only way you will find out. ;)

Edited by Nicepix

Regards, Clive

If you don't use a drag then don't buy the Okuma because it has a less than useless one :blink:

ii) You can wind in using your finger through the spokes but can't watch the float while you are winding in :blink:

If you prefer to pay £500 and wait four years to commission someone to make you a copy of an original that you can buy in good condition for a fraction of the price then don't buy the Okuma.

If you like to keep your reels in a box looking good until it is time to sell them in order to make room for another good looking reel in a box then don't buy an Okuma.

But, if you want a centrepin for, let's say, to fish with, then why not look at one with a great reputation, superb engineering, silky smooth action AND a drag system that allows you to trot a small float or hold a ledger hard against a strong current, act as a baitrunner or simply to ensure that the reel does not give line at critical moments AND is one-way so you re not winding against the drag and the fish, then why not go down to your local tackle shop, stick your finger through the spokes and give it a whirl? It is the only way you will find out. ;)

Cor blimey mate, you've almost convinced me to try one :) Shame I can't use one on the beach :)

Phone...none of you Yanks can spell anyway.........not that I have noticed, it's the content that matters :thumbs:

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I know lots of retailers were selling the trent off cheap (I presume because we didn't fancy a pin with a big star drag built into it), have you bought a big box full of them Nicepix?

Maybe they wont send so many of them over here this time.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep