A New Centrepin from OKUMA

PeterNE1

Sorry Brian but I cannot let Tigger's comments go unchallenged. He claims that you don't need a drag on a pin "that's what my thumb is for" yet said that he prefers two types of reel that come with a drag system fitted. Same with Chavender; he says that he doesn't use a drag but is willing to pay hundreds of £££'s for reels with drags fitted. That's fine if they didn't rubbish another reel just because if has a drag. I suspect that if Witcher, Shimano or Youngs had brought out the one way disc drag rather than Okuma the same anglers who decry the Trent would be queuing up to buy one.

AddictedtoScopex: I don't understand why you would need to back the drag off totally? If you turn the knob on the back to switch the drag off then it disengages the drag and runs in free spool just like a Sheffield or Aventa Pro. Both mine actually spin for longer than my Adcocks Stanton, Match Aerial and much, much longer than my Youngs Purist. Turn the switch one way and the drag is activated at whatever resistance you have set it to, turn the switch the other way and it is in free spool.

Dont worry nicepix, I know how the system works. My issue was that even with the drag at its lowest setting and having it switched off it still seemed to be having some effect on the drum and holding it back from spinning freely. It was as though it was never truly off. I didnt like it so I got rid rather than try to mess about with it and potentially breaking something. Better to let someone else deal with it. I will stick to my grice and youngs I think as I have never had a single problem with them. I got rid of the 1st thinking I would find something even better but after having had around 5 different pins since (admittedly nothing worth over £100) I never found one as good so have now gone back to the royal avon supreme as I cant fault it. I cant bring myself to spend over £100 on a centre pin as all my reels end up kissing the dirt at some point and I wouldnt want to be too worried about scratching an expensive one.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

So can I just confirm that we all now agree that all centrepins are overpriced and ineffective?

;)

Mmm.....I reckon some are overpriced some are not, same as everything else from clothes to houses. I'd say your right about them being ineffective but only when being used by someone who hasn't masterd the use of one....much like someone learning to ride a bike really :).

That could have been me :boxing: those were REAL 'pins

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

All,

So in winding this thread down as best I can figure fewer than 5% of anglers use center pins (centrepin, etc.) and even fewer do so correctly.

Pin heads get nose bleeds very easily from the altitude.

Did I leave anything out?

Phone

Joking apart, I really did start fishing with what had been a snooker cue........described as a "Pier" rod :) and a wooden 'pin with a brass reel foot and starback. A thing of monstrous beauty.

Didn't need a drag, just dip it in water and it swelled up a bit, that slowed it down even more.

But I didn't let it affect me :) :)

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I can remember seeing a bloke in the old days, sea fishing with what looked like a snooker cue and Scarborough ( I think) Centre pin :)

The old Scarborough reels were made out of wood and brass and were around 8" or more in diameter, up to 2" wide and weighed well over 1lb. Some were used for rock fishing because they were strong enough to haul a stuck 6oz lead and cod through kelp and other snags. I used to watch in awe as they hurled leads out 80 yds or more using an old wooden reel and telegraph pole rod. Others including myself used them as boat reels. The spool was often held on with a brass wing nut and that could be tightened down to lock the spool. This was handy when you were fishing with a 1.5lb lead weight at the end of a 7' rod as you didn't have to clamp the reel with your hand all the time. Of course when you got a bite the first thing you had to remember to do was loosen the wing nut. Multipliers were rarer then, but their biggest advantage off a boat was the one-way drag as it meant that you were playing a fish immediately rather than fiddling with your wing nut. The later lever drag models were even easier to use especially for jigging mid depths.

In the States they have reels that they decribe as Mooching reels. They are basically beefed up centrepins with one-way drags used for drift fishing for salmon and sea trout. I considered getting one for use on my kayak, but the price of shipping meant it would have been over $200 to get one so I ended up using the Trent for flatties and bass and an Abu 6000 multiplier for heavier work.

The resistance (sorry) to having a working drag on a centrepin will fade when enough anglers try using one for fishing other than trotting. It doesn't help when people form opinions from pictures on the web, make incorrect comments and these comments are repeated ad nauseum and are seized upon by others who have never actually used the reel as an excuse not to buy it. That prevents others from trying it and they might actually find it useful.

If anyone has got a Trent or two that they don't use I'm prepared to do a swap for a mint, boxed, low serial number, hardly used Youngs Purist that I've never been able to get on with.

Regards, Clive

The old Scarborough reels were made out of wood and brass and were around 8" or more in diameter, up to 2" wide and weighed well over 1lb. Some were used for rock fishing because they were strong enough to haul a stuck 6oz lead and cod through kelp and other snags. I used to watch in awe as they hurled leads out 80 yds or more using an old wooden reel and telegraph pole rod. Others including myself used them as boat reels. The spool was often held on with a brass wing nut and that could be tightened down to lock the spool. This was handy when you were fishing with a 1.5lb lead weight at the end of a 7' rod as you didn't have to clamp the reel with your hand all the time. Of course when you got a bite the first thing you had to remember to do was loosen the wing nut. Multipliers were rarer then, but their biggest advantage off a boat was the one-way drag as it meant that you were playing a fish immediately rather than fiddling with your wing nut. The later lever drag models were even easier to use especially for jigging mid depths.

In the States they have reels that they decribe as Mooching reels. They are basically beefed up centrepins with one-way drags used for drift fishing for salmon and sea trout. I considered getting one for use on my kayak, but the price of shipping meant it would have been over $200 to get one so I ended up using the Trent for flatties and bass and an Abu 6000 multiplier for heavier work.

The resistance (sorry) to having a working drag on a centrepin will fade when enough anglers try using one for fishing other than trotting. It doesn't help when people form opinions from pictures on the web, make incorrect comments and these comments are repeated ad nauseum and are seized upon by others who have never actually used the reel as an excuse not to buy it. That prevents others from trying it and they might actually find it useful.

If anyone has got a Trent or two that they don't use I'm prepared to do a swap for a mint, boxed, low serial number, hardly used Youngs Purist that I've never been able to get on with.

I've a couple of Trents, one still boxed as a spare (and very happy with the other ... but it's unlikely to wear out!) ... will happily swap for the Youngs if you're serious?

PM me?

Having never used a trent :) I'm still going to disagree :P

I use my 'pin mainly for tench fishing - and I use it because I enjoy playing a good fish on a 'pin, I like the direct contact between me and the fish. If I were to use a reel with mechanical aids such as drags. or one way clutches then I'd may as well use a fixed spool and make the casting easier too!!

Mat

Mat