Which oars / paddles?

PeterNE1

Not really kayak-related as such, but maybe someone on here can give me a few pointers or recommendations? It's very likely that very soon I'm going to acquire a decent inflatable dingy, a bit over 3 metres, and will need to buy oars.

It's almost certain that the boat will never see rough water, being used almost exclusively on inland waters, and mostly still-waters at that, either as a fishing platform of simply messing about with my youngster ... so what sort of oars do I go for (and why?) One piece construction or two piece? Aluminium / plastic or wood? Length?

I spend half my life on competetive rowing machines, so I'm well capable of putting decent oars to good use ... I've just no real idea of what I should be buying, and why?

Any advice or recommendation please?

PeterNE,

Do you have any idea about the OarLocks, Oar Lock Sockets? It may indeed mean you will need a paddle?

I hate boats of all sizes but if you must - - - - maybe it would make sense, with an inflatable, to consider something that would have to be paddled?? If you do get one fitted for oars I think the highest quality oar lock sockets you can afford are equally important or more important than the oars themselves. You probably know more about that than I do.

I guess you still have a choice.

Phone

PeterNE,

Do you have any idea about the OarLocks, Oar Lock Sockets? It may indeed mean you will need a paddle?

I hate boats of all sizes but if you must - - - - maybe it would make sense, with an inflatable, to consider something that would have to be paddled?? If you do get one fitted for oars I think the highest quality oar lock sockets you can afford are equally important or more important than the oars themselves. You probably know more about that than I do.

I guess you still have a choice.

Phone

Hi Phone: in the absence of any real technical terminology (alien to me, I'm afraid! :D ) the rowlocks appear to be a fairly simple affair, nothing more than a large pin that rotates in a socket, on top of which is a 'doughnut' through which the oar passes.

I quite like the idea of a single paddle, kayak-style, but as the dingy is over 3 metres long and a metre and a half wide, I'm not sure that it would be either realistic or effective, so I'm almost certainly going to need oars.

I guess one of the concerns that I have is that the aluminium / plastic affairs that I've seen seem relatively flimsy (unless someone can advise me otherwise?) and the wooden alternative (though far more attractive / tactile and robust) are much heavier and awkward to transport ... hence the request for advice and recommendations. :D

I've already got a very nice trolling motor and battery sat waiting - maybe I should just be bone idle and rely exclusively on that? :D

PeterNE,

What I was "thinking" but didn't say at all.

I have a pal who has, according to his account, a really nice inflatable dingy The oar "thingys" are the weak link to the boat holding air. As soon as he gets it "patched" he'll use it again. I've heard that more than once from him. That's where it leaks air if it is going to leak air.

Peter, I really don't know boats.

Phone

PeterNE,

What I was "thinking" but didn't say at all.

I have a pal who has, according to his account, a really nice inflatable dingy The oar "thingys" are the weak link to the boat holding air. As soon as he gets it "patched" he'll use it again. I've heard that more than once from him. That's where it leaks air if it is going to leak air.

Peter, I really don't know boats.

Phone

Great minds think alike! :D ... I was wondering myself about that precise issue, hence another reason for maybe looking into whether or not a single kayak-style paddle would be viable - it's not like I'll be paddling huge distances or in any great rush to get somewhere - I just need a way to propel the boat forwards (and steer) that doesn't rely on the trolling motor - and at least with a single paddle, I'd be heading in the direction I was facing, rather than rowing backwards with two oars :D ... I'm just not convinved it's possible / realistic, considering the width of the dingy (at almost 1.5 metres), with me sat centrally towards the rear of the boat?