Fly fishing is...

Steve Walker

... a form of mental illness. Spent a few hours this evening on the upper Thames. I've never seen it looking so good at this time of year. I caught one little dace - because I insisted on fly fishing. I could have bagged up on maggots. Same at the weekend. It's a compulsion.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve,

You probably use one of those goofy reels too.

Phone

Do you mean a 'pin with one of the handles missing and the ratchet stuck on? B)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Do you mean a 'pin with one of the handles missing and the ratchet stuck on? B)

Of course!

Mind you, if I hadn't been trotting, I would probably have used one of my other goofy reels, a 'pin with two handles and the ratchet off!

When I fished a local club pond on the fly at the weekend, a kid came over on his bike absolutely fascinated by the fly fishing tactics - said he'd only ever seen it on TV before. He must have watched me for an hour, in the end I was really disappointed I couldn't produce a fish for him. I hope I got over the point that a fly reel and a centrepin aren't the same, and that it probably wouldn't work with his float rod! I let him try casting it, but he decided I was making it look easier than it is :lol:

Steve

What! Flyfishing for Coarse Fish; you will be shooting Foxes and gassing Badgers next :D:D:D

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I was starting to get worried about a developing addiction to fly-fishing.

But I have now reached the stage where so long as I get out and do it at least 3 times a week, I can more or less take it or leave it.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust