Fly fishing is...

Steve Walker

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leon

Exactly!!!

Wait a minute you have just given me an excellent idea for the weekend.

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Leon

Exactly!!!

What...a big bankside barbecue? B)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Leon

It is poor form enough to be targetting coarse fish on the fly, never mind groundbaiting for them as well! :nono:

Of course 'legally', grayling are coarse fish...(although they're not scientifically, obviously) but, I must say I'm with Steve, I love fly fishing for dace...it doesn't half sharpen up your reactions...(or, as I increase in age, get me bloody frustrated...they don't half take and reject quickly)...and excellent fun on a wet fly :wheelchair:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

After experimentation I found that a waterlogged white fly fished static, about 12" deep beneath a plug of floating putty, bought takes from the rudd.

I was using a 5/6wt outfit knowing that the likelihood of hooking a carp into low-doubles was a possibility.

After an hour or so catching rudd (some a decentish size), I switched to a 3wt.

That's when the carp started taking the fly! (with no more rudd hooked).

(I was cursing the slow action of my cheap 3/4 wt.

Someone up above must have heard because the rod snapped at the butt as I was bullying a carp (around 6-7lb).

Got home and went on the net to find a better replacement and came across these Sonik rods at half-price:

Yorkshire Game Angling SONIK SK3 FLY RODS - HALF PRICE

:) )

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Leon

No more rods for me for the moment, I have just bought a lovely Orvis 7# Hydros, half price form Uttings.

My 3# is 7' Fladen, a sweet litlle blank and it does the job, it only cost me around £40 notes with reel and line.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

What...a big bankside barbecue? B)

Could be or a session after the Bass at Sharpe's Green.

Tony

Leon, I've got one of those eight foot 3/4wt SK3 rods, it's a lovely little rod.

I've got three Sonik SK4XTs. Love 'em :)

(Especially as they don't cost an arm and a leg!)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust