Deserves a new topic I think

poledark

Well said Dan - As someone who has been looking forward to this fortnight for quite some time - and got to witness it first hand on Thursday last - I'm still getting a lump in my throat just thinking about what a awesome job GB did in putting on the Games (and competing in them!) The Buzz in the Olympic Park was impossible to describe - but it was a joy to witness. We got there early and spent all day in the park - having tickets for the evening athletics (the 800m final was THE performance of the games in my book - was a privilege to have seen it live). However a single incidence during the afternoon as we sat on the grass watching other sports on the big screen has even more resonance. We heard a roar of cheers and thuderous applause rippling across the park (and getting louder and louder). Twas Chris Hoy on the way to a media interview - walked right past us and everyone to a man stood and cheered as he walked by - hair tingling!

Praise has been coming in all over on what 'we' achieved - particularly liked these two comments in the Aussie press.....

Greg Baum, Sydney Morning Herald: "London, you didn't half do a decent job. These Olympics had Sydney's vibrancy, Athens's panache, Beijing's efficiency, and added British know-how and drollery. With apologies to Sydney, they might just represent a new PB [personal best] for the Olympics. They were superbly organised. The Olympic Park's setting, in one of Britain's poorest boroughs, proved inspired. Some Olympic sites become wasteland after the Games. This one began as wasteland and is now full of possibilities."

The Australian: "As awful as it is to admit, London 2012 was bigger, slicker, almost as friendly and more thoughtfully planned than Sydney in terms of the legacy it will leave the host city. As the post-mortems begin on how London compares with other Games in terms of crowd numbers, finances, sporting excellence and that beast of many faces called "legacy", there is one simple indication of the success of the past two weeks. That is the feeling of surprise among ordinary Londoners and people close to the Games that after all that anticipation and all their doubts, they had pulled it off so well. It is not a sense of 'We told you so', more one of 'My god, we actually did it!'"

:D

C.

Edited by Chris Plumb

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Well, I was transformed from profoundly sceptical (at the beginning of the games) to being profoundly sad that it was all over. The whole experience has been sensational from start to finish. Bravo :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Edited by robtherake

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Have to say that as an ex-pat here in France it made me proud to be British in many ways.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Others have their views, of course...

Life? Don't talk to me about life...

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

I liked that cover of Wish You Were Here (with Nick Mason and Mike Rutherford), but I had to smile at this response to it from the young singer's fans:

527187_512648838760666_927668938_n.jpg

:lol:

Rob,

Some folks would bitch if you were hung by a new rope.

Just got around to reading yesterdays paper. 212 million (in the US) watched at least 15 minutes of the closing event. I'd say, as I said from the beginning, London hit a home run. (Barclay's didn't even make the financial section for a change).

Phone

i missed it was it near the beginning?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I liked that cover of Wish You Were Here (with Nick Mason and Mike Rutherford), but I had to smile at this response to it from the young singer's fans:

:lol:

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Ed who? :sun:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!