Trotting for Barbel - advice please

Matthew Simmons

Mike it was a#14 Kamasan Animal. And there really aren't that many chub in this particular stretch - loads of trout but they go spare immediately they are hooked! Definitely not trout. M

With that hook, I can't think why you lost them straight away.I can only think that it was blunted or they weren't barbel - or they were and you were bumping them, although I've never had that happen to me! I agree on the trout thing - grayling? I've no other answer!

Interesting thread on the otter - I've still not seen one despite fishing the areas that have them - but not very often this year. 4 times since February to be precise.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest redfin2
Fly fishing for barbel is perfectly reasonable

http://www.flyfishingbarbel.com/travel-fis...theredghost.htm

I knew you would come out in favour of this :D Just as you did a few years back, nothing changes I guess some would advocate usin Pen rods too :D

Barbel are unique fighters and will exhaust themselves to near death, and good handling will ensure they are returned to fight another day.

It is essenstial to use adequate tackle, a fly rod is not 'adequate', a salmon rod maybe, but that would be daft.

Have you ever caught a Barbel Dave?

I knew you would come out in favour of this :D Just as you did a few years back, nothing changes I guess some would advocate usin Pen rods too :D

Barbel are unique fighters and will exhaust themselves to near death, and good handling will ensure they are returned to fight another day.

It is essenstial to use adequate tackle, a fly rod is not 'adequate', a salmon rod maybe, but that would be daft.

Have you ever caught a Barbel Dave?

Oh dear, here we go again.

Yes, I have caught quite a few barbel. Unique fighters? no, not really. Good handling? Does that include weighing and photographing as I saw in the official "how to handle barbel" joke of a video?

Have you ever used a fly rod Rabbit? Why do you say that they are not adequate? I suppose you believe that the only way to catch them is skull dragging on a 2lb TC+ rod.

Lots and lots of barbel are caught on the fly in Spain, in much higher temps than in UK. Are you suggesting that they all die as a result?

It wouldn't be very good business for the professional guides who take many very serious and skilled fly anglers from the UK to fish for them, or maybe you have special knowledge that these guys don't have, even though you've never done it.

Get a grip Rabbit and just accept that others may have differing opinions on what is appropriate and those opinions might just be based on as much experience as you profess to have.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Guest redfin2
Oh dear, here we go again.

Yes, I have caught quite a few barbel. Unique fighters? no, not really. Good handling? Does that include weighing and photographing as I saw in the official "how to handle barbel" joke of a video?

Have you ever used a fly rod Rabbit? Why do you say that they are not adequate? I suppose you believe that the only way to catch them is skull dragging on a 2lb TC+ rod.

Lots and lots of barbel are caught on the fly in Spain, in much higher temps than in UK. Are you suggesting that they all die as a result?

It wouldn't be very good business for the professional guides who take many very serious and skilled fly anglers from the UK to fish for them, or maybe you have special knowledge that these guys don't have, even though you've never done it.

Get a grip Rabbit and just accept that others may have differing opinions on what is appropriate and those opinions might just be based on as much experience as you profess to have.

Wow calm down Dave!! Somewhere between the two stools is an element of truth, but you choose to ridicucle all the basic good techniques that is put forward by the BS, that video was produced because many fish did die as a result of poor handling, but I concede that it not always necessary to photograph the fish weigh and so on, well I don't and certainly most I know do not also. However resting the barbel in the net after the 'fight' is important, as is the returning of the fish in making sure it is strong before releasing also, so if folk take at least that on board, well good thing. Not really a joke of a video.

What is done in Spain I cannot comment, but I know in this country we are more considerate over a host of welfare issues.

You use the term 'skull dragging in itself would paint the wrong picture by using a rod fit for purpose for the conditions. That is totally wrong, and remember it serves no one or the fish to exhaust the fish with undergunned tackle.

You say you have caught Barbel and mantain they are not unique fighters, and yet that is the reason many do fish for barbel the fight!!

What barbel have you caught Dave that dissapointed you?

Rabbit? Not sure what you mean.

Anyway that is my last word on the subject, as it is bound to raise your blood pressure :) and there is a need to keep things nice and friendly..

Wow calm down Dave!! Somewhere between the two stools is an element of truth, but you choose to ridicucle all the basic good techniques that is put forward by the BS, that video was produced because many fish did die as a result of poor handling, but I concede that it not always necessary to photograph the fish weigh and so on, well I don't and certainly most I know do not also. However resting the barbel in the net after the 'fight' is important, as is the returning of the fish in making sure it is strong before releasing also, so if folk take at least that on board, well good thing. Not really a joke of a video.

What is done in Spain I cannot comment, but I know in this country we are more considerate over a host of welfare issues.

You use the term 'skull dragging in itself would paint the wrong picture by using a rod fit for purpose for the conditions. That is totally wrong, and remember it serves no one or the fish to exhaust the fish with undergunned tackle.

You say you have caught Barbel and mantain they are not unique fighters, and yet that is the reason many do fish for barbel the fight!!

What barbel have you caught Dave that dissapointed you?

Rabbit? Not sure what you mean.

Anyway that is my last word on the subject, as it is bound to raise your blood pressure :) and there is a need to keep things nice and friendly..

Strange, the only discussion I had years ago about being undergunned with a fly rod concerned fly fishing for carp.

I'm sure I could find it if I looked. That was with Rabbit.

I never said that Barbel disappointed, I just said that they are not "unique" fighters. Pretty good, though not in the same class as say Allis Shad (very popular on the fly in certain French rivers)

Regarding the video. It purported to demonstrate the correct and safest way to handle barbel. A medium sized barbel was caught, rested in the landing net (the bit I agreed with) and then removed from the water (why?) placed on an unhooking mat (why?) moved from the unhooking mat into a weigh sling (why?) lifted up and weighed (why?) replaced on the unhooking mat and transferred out of the weigh sling (why?) lifted up and photographed (why?) and finally replaced in the water, although I am working from memory so might have missed a couple of lifts and transfers ;)

It would give the uninformed (for whom it was intended surely) the impression that this should be standard procedure for every fish they catch and is quite acceptable practice.

Well, on just about every catch and release fly fishery I ever frequented such fish abuse would have seen you asked to leave and probably banned, at least until you had learned how to release a fish without it leaving the water.

Finally you use terms like "rod fit for purpose" and "undergunned tackle" and I agree with you. What I don't agree with is your assumption that fly rods are not fit for purpose.

Fly rods are used to catch and land fish all over the world that are bigger, faster or harder fighting than the humble barbel. They are fit for all of these purposes so I see absolutely no reason why they couldn't be fit for barbel.

Still, I should know soon enough because next spring I will be going to Extremadura to try for myself. In the meantime I will have to content myself with fly fishing for carp from my float tube :P

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Guest redfin2

Thank you, it seems you have calmed down a bit so I have deemed it safe to reply:rolleyes:

I am aware that fly rods are used to carch Carp over here, in that a floating fly biscuit is often at the business end, and the delivery of such a fly would be better served with a fly rod, however I am not at all convinced that the action of such a rod is suited for this species as with Barbel.To stop a run of a barbel to a far side tree root on rivers such as the Teme, a fly rod would not be suitable, however it would be fine for a Bonefish in shallow water where there are no such problems.

Your description of the barbel code handling was somewhat biased, but it did cover all aspects, the fact is that some anglers insist on weighing and photgraphing all barbel, and if thet choose to do so, well at least they have been advised best practise. And yes a mat is a good piece of kit that replaces very often my chair, and is fine for laying heavy fish on especially on stoney ground.

But the'humble' barbel is for many the species that as British anglers we chose to fish for, as the carp are just too uninspiring and the Alis Shad is as rare as a Scottish Barbel :rolleyes:

I have seen your picture in the 'tube' good luck :)

But NOT for me!! :)

Thank you, it seems you have calmed down a bit so I have deemed it safe to reply:rolleyes:

I am aware that fly rods are used to carch Carp over here, in that a floating fly biscuit is often at the business end, and the delivery of such a fly would be better served with a fly rod, however I am not at all convinced that the action of such a rod is suited for this species as with Barbel.To stop a run of a barbel to a far side tree root on rivers such as the Teme, a fly rod would not be suitable, however it would be fine for a Bonefish in shallow water where there are no such problems.

Your description of the barbel code handling was somewhat biased, but it did cover all aspects, the fact is that some anglers insist on weighing and photgraphing all barbel, and if thet choose to do so, well at least they have been advised best practise. And yes a mat is a good piece of kit that replaces very often my chair, and is fine for laying heavy fish on especially on stoney ground.

But the'humble' barbel is for many the species that as British anglers we chose to fish for, as the carp are just too uninspiring and the Alis Shad is as rare as a Scottish Barbel :rolleyes:

I have seen your picture in the 'tube' good luck :)

But NOT for me!! :)

Seems to me that you are an angler of little flyfishing experience and don't have a very wide one in barbel fishing. All barbel fishing isn't and doesn't need to be done with heavy gear in snag pits.

Barbel are just little pusssy cats compared to some fish that get caught with fly gear.

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Guest redfin2
Seems to me that you are an angler of little flyfishing experience and don't have a very wide one in barbel fishing. All barbel fishing isn't and doesn't need to be done with heavy gear in snag pits.

Barbel are just little pusssy cats compared to some fish that get caught with fly gear.

You assume a lot, you should really read my post again, I did not advocate heavy gear in snag pits as you put it, in fact I fish light as I can, but if you can advise me what fly rod I could use on a small river that would be fine

As far as your digs I am not sure what motivates you, but I am happy with what I do with my fishing and I always learn more no matter how good we 'think' we are.

Probably applies to you too.

With that hook, I can't think why you lost them straight away.I can only think that it was blunted or they weren't barbel - or they were and you were bumping them, although I've never had that happen to me! I agree on the trout thing - grayling? I've no other answer!

Interesting thread on the otter - I've still not seen one despite fishing the areas that have them - but not very often this year. 4 times since February to be precise.

Yes Mike - I agree on the hook - should land anything if properly hooked - hence the original question to the forum! Not flyfishing for barbel. Anyway I'm sure they were barbel - not other realistic alternative. Especially as I did managed to snaag one of them - same bite, same spot in the swim, and same reaction to being hooked.

I was surprised by the otter. To be honest I thought he was pretty cool - first one I've seen on the Kennet and the first I've seen for ages.

Only 4 times fishing since Feb - really sorry to hear that.

M

Edited by Matthew Simmons

I was surprised by the otter. To be honest I thought he was pretty cool - first one I've seen on the Kennet and the first I've seen for ages.

Only 4 times fishing since Feb - really sorry to hear that.

M

I know the otters are around. I would love to see one - preferably when leaving after a day bagging up!

I've been busy with Jubilee and Olympics so I've had a very busy time, only the Paralympics to go and then some fishing will come my way. Just in time for percha nd grayling. I went to the Kennet in June (17th) and the Whitewater in July (twice) so I've been keeping my hand in by reading what everyone else is doing. I might go out on Sunday morning at sparrowfart before going to work. I reckon freelined and/or legered bread or trotted maggot on the Whitewater or Loddon would be up my street for a few hours of peaceful seclusion away from the City life.

Can't wait!

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."