Killing fish

Sportsman

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a priest is just more weight, a rock or bank stick has the same effect :)

Perhaps but I don't have rocks or bank sticks lying around the boat. the latter isnt a suitable tool for the job in any case. :)

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

grab it by the tale and skelp it off the face of your boat partner ? since i sold the car ive been ever more cautious about the amount of things i take to reduce weight when im walking. find my self asking if i really need to take a second pair of forceps, smaller bottle of water etc. :rolleyes:

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

The only times I carry a priest are when beach fishing or all night fishing.

I dont use it to kill fish ;)

If I need to kill a fish I use Barry's method of a knife through the head.

On most stillwater fisheries you dont have any right to kill a fish - its up to the owner or a baliff.

If you do kill a fish without permission you have a chance of being prosecuted:

"Theft of Fish

This would be dealt with under the theft act 1968, which covers many ‘dishonesty’ offences such as theft,

burglary, robbery and deception. Section 1 states that: A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates

the property of another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it. The only real stumbling block

to angling clubs or fishery owners seeking to prove this offence against someone who has removed fish from

their waters hinges on the concept of ‘ownership"

Quoted from: Pike Anglers Club of Great Britain

Protecting fisheries from poachers & thieves by Mark Leathwood

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

grab it by the tale and skelp it off the face of your boat partner ? since i sold the car ive been ever more cautious about the amount of things i take to reduce weight when im walking. find my self asking if i really need to take a second pair of forceps, smaller bottle of water etc. :rolleyes:

I understand completely what you mean about doing away with any extra weight that isn't needed. I can barely walk at all and can only do what I call 'sit down fishin' a few yards from where I can park my car. Even for a dead baiting session and all the 'clobber' that requires I try to fit it all into my 'klobber vest' (good weight distribution). and the rod holdall. I don't take a brolly, just don't go if it looks like rain, have abandoned big fishin' chairs. Increasingly the boat is a much better option it gives me the freedom to roam that I simply cannot have on the shore, and of course I can sit down while doing it. Most times I am alone and so there is no partners face to 'skelp' them off. Doing it to my grandson would no doubt constitute 'child abuse' and children probably have a right not to be skelped ;) in the face with a fish!

I will always carry a priest, you won't yet, we both aim to do the best by our fish, I believe that my way is far more humane, you don't, thats the way it is, we will doubtless carry on doing our own thing.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

The only times I carry a priest are when beach fishing or all night fishing.

I dont use it to kill fish ;)

If I need to kill a fish I use Barry's method of a knife through the head.

On most stillwater fisheries you dont have any right to kill a fish - its up to the owner or a baliff.

If you do kill a fish without permission you have a chance of being prosecuted:

I read your quote and it is perhaps true of waters which some owner has bought fish and introduced them. I don't see the same legal or moral case being made on waters which have never been stocked by humans and have existed as a species before humans inhabited that area.

I always carry a priest, a turned yew-wood one with lead inside deals with my trout, grayling and perch (oops, obviously used to use it for perch... B) ) and a stainless steel one fashioned from an old conveyor belt shaft for sea fishing. Depending on the species I'll use the priest or Barry's knife method!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I always carry a priest, a turned yew-wood one with lead inside deals with my trout, grayling and perch (oops, obviously used to use it for perch... B) )

Perch taste just as good as they always did. ;)

Perch taste just as good as they always did. ;)

....one could argue that these days they taste even better... :whistling:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

....one could argue that these days they taste even better... :whistling:

forbidden fruit an' all that? ;)