Advice on cleaning vintage reel

essexboy

I have an Allcock Perfection "Flick Em" centre pin, made in the 1940s I think. I want to clean it inside & out. Not sure of the metal it's made of, some sort of grey/silver coloured aluminuim alloy possibly. Any suggestions as to what to use as a cleaning agent/method to remove verdigris and hardened grease would be appreciated.

Yes, vinegar is a good disolvent. I use it on old reels to clean the metal particularly when it is or has been clagged in groundbait and gone green.

It doesn't dissolve grease very well though. WD40 sprayed on, allowed to soak then wiped off should deal with the grease and brighten up the metal. That is what I would recommend first, then soak in vinegar to remove the verdigree.

Beware of trying to loosen screws. The brass heads are very soft and the slots are cut fine usually. You need to loosen them first with penetrating oil and only try to unscrew them with a properly fitting screwdriver or you will chew them up.

Regards, Clive

Personally I just soak them in a bowl of hot water and washing up liquid to start with. I leave solvents until I can see what I'm cleaning if you know what I mean. Scrub at thick grease or stains with an old toothbrush. Threaded holes can be tackled with bristle type "Wisdom-clean between brushes" (great for cleaning percussion cap nipples on black powder guns too).

Verdigris can be removed with "Brasso" and use scotchbrite pads if heavily tarnished. Any aluminium oxide on the reel is best removed using a mild acid...dilute phosphoric acid is the easiest to source and in the solutions you get in a can of Coca Cola won't damage the metal. Soak a cloth or sponge in Coke and keep rubbing...scotchbrite helps again. Rinse it all off with water, dry and lubricate all moving parts!

If it all sounds too much I'll buy the reel off you for a fiver :rolleyes:

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Just to emphasise what Nicepix wrote, be careful unscrewing, if it feels too tight, add more penetrating oil and leave overnight. There is nothing worse than screwing off the head of the bolt and having all the aggravation of trying to drill out the remainder

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Hi essexboy,

firstly whatever you do DISREGARD :nonono: all previous suggestions. If you want to preserve the condition of your reel, under no circumstance use vinegar or scotchbrite pads on your reel! :thumbdown:

I have and use very frequently, a large number of "pins" both new and very old.

If any minute traces of acid (i.e. vinegar) are left on your reel it will cause severe damage to the steel pin/alloy body and mechanisms of the reel. Brillo pads or similar will destroy the finish of your reel! Washing up liquids contain traces of salts which will also set up a nice case of corrosion! I'm really quite horrified that these things have been suggested!

For a good cleaning of your reel, using a small paintbrush or old toothbrush, hold the body of the reel over a container of white spirits and having dipped the brush into the spirits, scrub any hardened grease allowing it to drip off into the container below. Providing you are careful, you can "flush" all old oil/grease and grit from the workings of your reel. Once the reel body is done you can then work on the drum part of the reel.

Here you need to be careful because you don't want to wash any detritus/grit into the bearing/hub, so all the time work with the drum tilted to encourage any dirt etc. to wash off the drum edge. I use several changes of spirit during the initial wash to avoid picking up rubbish that you've already washed off.

Dry everything off with kitchen paper ( I use one that doesn't leave fibres "one sheeeet!") and blow as much spirit from beneath any mechanics (ratchet, lever, handles etc.) as possible and allow to air dry for a few hours.

I wash the pin and flush the inside of the bearing hub using an artists brush, with a small amount of petrol to ensure that all detritus is removed. Dry thoroughly!

Next is lubrication.... you don't need anything other than a decent sewing machine oil! Cheap enough and readily available!

Don't use any grease, you don't need it and it will only slow the reel down. Spot oil all of the areas that are metal to metal and smear a light coating over everything else. Once everything is coated, using clean kitchen paper, you need to try and rub it all off!

You will never succeed but it will leave a very light film over everything giving it protection from corrosion (if you leave too much on the body it can attract and hold grit etc.!). During this process you will clean any residual grease and oxidisation from the reel. Don't try to make the reel shiny and if any areas do need "a bit extra" use a tiny piece of metal polish wadding (Duraglit/Brasso etc.) to clean them up (don't use any abrasives other than these). Wipe all traces of polish away and re-oil the surface.

All you need to do to finish is to apply a thin coat of oil to the pin, allow a couple of drops to run down the inside of the hub, one drop on the side of the pin and one on the top then carefully fit together. Give it a spin, first one way and then the other turning the reel side over side while spinning. If the end play needs adjusting, using a very good fitting screwdriver, nip it up but leaving a tiny bit of end play. Never nip it up so there is no end play on the pin, you must have room for the oil! Experience will tell when it's right.

Finally, after using it for a day, give it a quick wipe over with a very lightly oiled cloth before putting it away. This will remove any fingerprints/rain/watermarks which will cause corrosion if left and ensure that it's ready for action next time!

When it comes to centre pins, cleanliness is next to Godliness. The cleaner you work, the better your reel will run.

I have been servicing/cleaning my own reels (pins, fixed spools and multipliers) and other peoples for over forty years using these techniques and have never had any trouble with them to this day!

Do let me know how you get on, it's not difficult, you must work clean and it will make a world of difference!

Edited by wunwetfoot
"....you should have been here yesterday!"

I don't think anyone suggested leaving vinegar on the reel after restoration :rolleyes:

Hi Nicepix, no, you are correct..... but the best way of accidently leaving any on is not to use it in the first place!

"....you should have been here yesterday!"

I'd do much the same as wunwetfoot. I think to remove any dirt and grease i'd use plain hot water. I must addmitt I never let my reels get very dirty as I clean them after every session and as wunwetfoot suggests I always rub sewing machine oil all over the reel and then wipe it off leaving a thin layer all over it.

Cotton buds are ok to clean out the pin housing but remember to pull the spool release clip (if there is one) back before pushing in the bud in to clean it and keep it pulled back until you pull out the bud.