Recommend me a rod

Tangled

Recently I have started fishing a small river about 20 ft wide and between 6" and 3ft deep up til now nothing bigger than about 3/4lb. I wade and trot maggots normally with a centre pin.

The problem starts with the amount of overhanging trees means that when re baiting or trying to unhook a fish I have to wade to an area where ther are no branches.I started with a 13ft Mach 3 lite which allowed me to set the hook better but the areas to fish were limited so I have tried a cheap 10ft rod that I bought for the kids to use from tescos but this seams to stiff.

So I am looking for a 8/9ft rod for £50ish but can't really find a short float rod except a tfg rod which is ok for a "pellet waggler" which I imagine would be to stiff?

Would a light spinning rod "picker" type feeder rod or a fly rod do the job? If any of these would do the job please specify as I know nothing of fly rods or spinning rods type of action.

Thanks

Dave

P.s use 4lb line at moment.

If you can justify the coat have a look at a 10 foot Chapmans Avon split cane rod. They usually got for around £100 - £150 on eBay and if looked after will hold that value for years.

Cracking river rod especially with a centrepin.

Regards, Clive

I'm going to recommend a versatile little rod that's a personal favourite. It's the 10ft Graphite Pro Margin Match, available mail-order from West Midlands Angling Centre at about £30.

This is what I wrote about it on another thread:

"The action is tremendous: a sweet tip action on the strike which is soft enough for fun with smaller fish, with a completely progressive transfer of power through to the corks on bigger fish. It almost seems to play the fish for you, with no real effort required on the part of the angler. I find myself using it in situations where it really isn't the best tool, simply because it's so much fun to fish with.

It weighs next to nothing, balance is perfect, it's pencil-slim, but more than powerful enough when the situation requires it. If I had to criticise, the handle is a tad too thick for my taste, but that's all.

Best of all, it only costs just over thirty quid, and whilst not quite the equal of my Reactorlites (but there's not much in it!) it runs them pretty close at one sixth of their retail price."

In addition , the reel fitting easily accommodates a centrepin if that's your choice. I put up some pics on another thread recently - if I can find it I'll add a link.

Link to pics

Edited by robtherake

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Yes pellet waggler rods tend to be stiff. Pellet wagglers are heavy floats and are mostly used for carp.

I don't think you will find a fly or spinning rod that would make a very good float rod and don't forget a 9ft fly rod will probably be longer in front of your hand than a 10ft float rod.

Its not easy to find a 9ft or less float rod, but there are plenty at 10ft. The new John Wilson float rod don't look to bad. Its rated for 2-4lb line and it looks like you might get one cheap on flee bay for wacking trees with.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Nicepix I think the other 2 may have better grasp of what I am after the cane rod maybe the the best rod but to quote Lutra a bit expensive to be "whacking trees" with :D

Rob that rod might do the job but would like to be able to have a waggle first.

Lutra I hadn't thought about the length difference of a fly rod but I had wondered how difficult it would be to control the reel at the "wrong" end of the handle as I support the end of the rod under my armpit.

At least the fact that nobody has said that they use a different type of rod for trotting in the circumstances I described I now know got to be on the look out for a short float rod.

I was quite surprised that there wasn't more replies of what "they" use in confined places.It must be just me who is silly enough to persevere catching small fish in the conditions.

Will be on the look out for the Jw float rod locally

Thanks

Dave

Guest redfin2
Nicepix I think the other 2 may have better grasp of what I am after the cane rod maybe the the best rod but to quote Lutra a bit expensive to be "whacking trees" with :D

Lutra I hadn't thought about the length difference of a fly rod but I had wondered how difficult it would be to control the reel at the "wrong" end of the handle as I support the end of the rod under my armpit.

At least the fact that nobody has said that they use a different type of rod for trotting in the circumstances I described I now know got to be on the look out for a short float rod.

I was quite surprised that there wasn't more replies of what "they" use in confined places.It must be just me who is silly enough to persevere catching small fish in the conditions.

Will be on the look out for the Jw float rod locally

Thanks

Dave

Don't think there is anything on the market that can be classed as a trotting rod that is under 10' in fact there is precious little for sale that are trotting rods nowadays.

The action would have to be a 'faster' than a spinning rod would allow, but would have to feel as though you are having fun when playing fish rather than 'hauling'.

Why not consider taking a 14' fast action rod such as the Drennan DRX and adapting it by using just the top two sections, might be some 'broken' rods around, or better still have a word with a rod builder, bound to have some odd bits.

Dave

If you lived a bit closer you could have borrowed it for a week or two, only you probably wouldn't have wanted to give it back, Dave. I've had a waggle of the John Wilson rod and in terms of feel and balance it ain't a patch on the Pro Margin - it's more of a boy's rod by comparison. But I know exactly what you mean about needing to get the feel of a rod before parting with the readies.

Having said all that, I'm willing to bet that the Pro Margin's just what you're after and you wouldn't be at all disappointed.

EDIT - I should add that although I bought this rod for what it was designed for - i.e. margin fishing in stillwaters - I've used it trotting for trout on the free sections of the upper Esk in Yorkshire (and on smaller becks), where it did an excellent job with fish up to a pound or so. Line pick-up is brilliant as long as you're not trying to trot into the next county. The action's also supple enough to absorb the fight from very lively fish on light lines.

Edited by robtherake

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Guest redfin2

Been having a dig around the forums and the Garbolino 10' Knockout Pellet Rod seems well recommended, lines 2-6lb and the tip is fast enough it seems, and all for about £30 on ebay.

Been having a dig around the forums and the Garbolino 10' Knockout Pellet Rod seems well recommended, lines 2-6lb and the tip is fast enough it seems, and all for about £30 on ebay.

I agree I have one, cost £25 from eBay and £6-7 on postage can't go wrong.

I had to eat my words recently after recommending the cheap Garbolinos. Tons of them make their way back to my local shop in more pieces than which they were made. If you look at the broken ends the reason is clear - never seen a thinner blank in my life.

They're all well reviewed in the angling press, but I would worry about their longevity, all things considered.