Recommend me a rod

Tangled

Guest redfin2
I had to eat my words recently after recommending the cheap Garbolinos. Tons of them make their way back to my local shop in more pieces than which they were made. If you look at the broken ends the reason is clear - never seen a thinner blank in my life.

They're all well reviewed in the angling press, but I would worry about their longevity, all things considered.

Really?

I remember having one of their float rods a few years ago, and the quality was not good, but the blank seemed OK, it was just the guides and other fittings that let it down.

Oh well back to the drawing board.

I was quite surprised that there wasn't more replies of what "they" use in confined places.It must be just me who is silly enough to persevere catching small fish in the conditions.

I fish a small river frequently. I use cane, mainly because I'm a bit sad but also because you can get nice actioned short rods...I also tune rods for specific fishing requirements.

I would say that, although the Chapman's 10 footer is a cracking rod (my favourite chub rod), I'd say it was a little heavy for your requirements. Try looking for an Allcock's Sapper, a fly rod that came in 9-10 foot lengths. Little known but they also made a float version from the same blank! Just a case of extending the handle and fitting a different reel seat and rings!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Not being quite as "sad" as Worms ;) . I use an old Sealey blue match fibre glass rod, it was 13ft but someoe trod on,(and smashed) the butt. By putting a dowel in the butt ferrule, and recorking, I've now got a nice actioned 10ft float rod. At that length the weight difference to carbon is next to nothing, and fibre glass is less prone to cracking if you hit a tree or two.

You can pick up a fibre glass float rod for next to nothing, (or you might have an old one you don't use any more). It only takes a couple of hours to adapt it, and off you go.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Old swingtip rods are also ideal; I've got a lovely 10ft carbon Silstar swingtip rod that is actually too light in action to be much good as a tip rod but having shortened the handle slightly it's a smashing 9'8" float rod that weighs less than 4oz and is great fun for dace and grayling.

Thanks for the replies

As it seems there does not seem to be anything suitable readily available I started looking what I had got amongst my old stuff. Found 2 hollow glass rods that I had in the seventies with no names on and shakespeare firebird (carbon?) that I bought as part of a"job lot" when I started again about 7 years ago.

Gave them all a waggle the Shakespeare had the softest tip so I sanded down slightly about 3" of the middle section and cut off the cork handle of one of the hollow glass rods and just pushed it in a real tight fit no glueing required at present it works out at 9ft 5".

Sat afternoon went to get maggots and a wander around tackle shop they had a 10ft garbolino float rod a Shakespeare omni 10ft float rod and maver abyss 10 ft float rod had a waggle they were all stiffer than what I had just cobbled together.

Went for 2 hours sat evening caught nothing no bites.

Issues: lines did not flow through the unlined rod rings very well. The first ring is small and quite close to the reel so line goes through at quite an angle? What is the best distance from reel to first ring.casting method is not an issue as I just swing the float out.

Had 3 hours sun day afternoon caught 5 fish lost 4 reasonable action to the rod with a fish on and setting the hook at about 20-25yds. Caught rod tip in a branch once only.but arm did begin to ache after about 2 1/2hours

Think the basis of a usable rod for purpose is there with bit of experimentation maybe lined rings different spacing and possibly same weight in the bottom of the handle.

Thanks again I could of wasted money on a new rod which would not of been any better than what I have ann at present has cost me nothing.

Dave

Thanks for the replies

Dave

Sorry Dave, I should have mentioned that I re rung the butt ring aout 18ins above the reel. Another thing is that as with any rod and reel, it's important to have it balanced. With the reel in place it should balance about 3ins above the reel, it makes it 'feel' lighter, and should stop your arms aching.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John