starting up again

milbourne

Hi guys,

i'm guessing from my experience of other forums that these sort of questions have been asked 1000 times over and over but please bare with me and here we go.

I used to fish majoritly coarse and match whilst growing up and turning 17 getting a car, going out, and the rest of it fishing went on the back burner, i sold what cost me £1000's of gear off ridiculously cheap.

Anycase went down to an old haunt at the weekend and got talking to an chap down there and it made me think that i should take some time out on occassion and wonder down and sit at the bank for a few hours.

The point of my question is....

... when i used to fish, i used to read a lot of mags etc... and used to buy a lot of stuff from the giant that was "bennetts of sheffield" well that has since ceased trading and looking in magazines and such i have seen many tackle reviews.

the ideal place for me to start would be reviews such as "top 20 rods of 2012 for under £100" for example.

1. Where do you guys now purchase all your tackle

2. Where do you read and learn about what tackle to buy

3. Can people suggest some names to give me a basis regarding a rod and reel for float fishing and a rod and reel for light carp fishing (i believe i used to have a shimano catana 2.25tc)

i have probably have more questions but that is a good start.

Cheers in advance.

Hi and welcome to Anglers' Net. I can't help with specifics since my tackle needs are too different from yours but just wanted to let you know we are glad you are here.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I think it can depend on how much you want to spend to start up again, you can buy some cheap start up kits from most retailers including places like sports direct to my shock lol dragon carp tend to be ok to buy from as you can get some good bargains from there.

www.prostate-cancer.org.uk Real Men Know About It

Hi Milbourne.

Your Catana carp rod wouldn't be out of place, even in today's market and you could probably find yourself one, plus a Shimano Baitrunner reel in 5000/6000 size on EBay for less than a ton.

There are some brilliant finds to be had at car boot sales too - you'll find lots of guys on here extolling the virtues of gear from yesteryear - so get out there and have a rake about!

The manufacturers want us to think that this years must-have gear is sooooo much better than what came before, but don't believe a word of it - many of the best deals to be had are second-hand ones.

What's your budget, and what fish will you be targeting? It makes it easier to give recommendations.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

hi guys,

thanks for the quick response, already feel welcome and at home.

well to be honest, there is a local "pond" about 5 minute walk from my house, which i will fish to start with, there is good size roch and perch, tench up to about 4lb bream up to about 6lb (rumoured 10lb but never seen anything of such) and carp up to about 15lb but average 6-9 i suppose.

I just want a general set up, the shakespeare mach 2 or drennan 7 series 13ft competition float rod, seem to be raved about.

I guess 2 rods (1 float, one for bigger stuff, 2 reels, seat box, landing net and keep net, hooks, line, bait boxes, everything all in for say £400. i would like to do it on £300 but can't see it happening...

Cheers again guys

Welcome to AN. As far as choosing what tackle to buy based on reviews I give the magazines a VERY wide berth. I much prefer to ask the chaps on here or the people I fish with as they arent being sponsored to tell me how good the latest rod or reel is. They will be brutally honest. There is a wealth of experience on here. (some of them were around with the dinos!!!) so dont be afraid to tap into it.

I think your best bet is to try to make your question a little more specific. Ask things such as 'What rod would you suggest for float fishing rivers for silver fish' or 'what rod would you recommend for fishing a waggler for carp' etc etc. Makes it much easier for us to give you some advice.

Good luck :thumbs:

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I never buy nor look at magazines unless someone sends me an article to read, I think that they are a total waste of time. Go down a few venues and see what others are using the look first to Ebay failing that your local cash converters and car boot sales, this time of the year newsagents advert boards. Next would come a search of the net and if you feel you need others opinions ask on a couple of forums.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Has anyone ever had any tackle from Dragon Carp? (http://www.dragoncarpdirect.com/)

I have heard mixed reviews. Mainly that the prices are good, but that some of the tackle is a bit rubbish.

I have only had experience with the centrepin reels (the marco cortesi) and wasn't overly impressed. One thing to remember is that in general you get what you pay for. If something seems to good to be true it very likely is.

Personally I have begun to look at second hand gear these days in order to keep costs down but still get decent gear. My latest acquisition is a centrepin reel from over 35 years ago and it beats the socks off any of the new gear I have used recently. I can no longer see the point in spending an extra £50+ on something just because it is brand new and will check ebay regularly for any bargains, there are plenty to be had. I am not the tackle tart I used to be and have found the older gear tends to be superior in build quality also. :D

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Has anyone ever had any tackle from Dragon Carp? (http://www.dragoncarpdirect.com/)

I have heard mixed reviews. Mainly that the prices are good, but that some of the tackle is a bit rubbish.

Had a reel from them. Not the best reel i've ever had but a bit of a workhorse that takes being bashed about.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."