First fishing trip after my move to South Carolina

Newt

very good, nice boat too. Thanks for sharing.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We do plan to try again this Winter when the 30-40 lb fish should be more active. Have to dress a bit warmer though. :D

In case I didn't do a good job of describing the weights, you can see similar ones at http://www.basspro.com/Billy-Bay-Flexi-Dra...12062704513517/

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Soon as our UK banks get some money back in them I will have to come out of retirement and fill up my coffers again! Once done I will make my way to Charlotte where you can pick me and bruv up.Ok we might have to dine out every night this time but hey Im sure Bobbi wont mind supplying the flask of "soup" for the days out! Never did get round to catching a Blue so something I could use as a valid excuse to pop over and see my "dad" again ;)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Budgie - just say when you'll be landing. We'd both love to see the pair of you again. My RV (parked next to the house) will be available so you can have a place to stay. We can surely chase some blue cats and if the weather is warm (Spring through mid-Autumn), maybe you'll be able to tell me if Flatheads fight better or worse than Wels.

Meanwhile, now that we've had decent amounts of rain, I plan to find out if the river carp here are as fond of range cubes as those in D.C. were. The river bridge where Andy fished with Bobbi is close to here and the fish are biting lots better than when you were here last.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Great stuff Newt! I love the "lake".....More like the sea! Nice fish too. :thumbs:

My uncle lives in spartanburg S.C and my cousin and his mother in law both have "lake houses" on lake

Hartwell and although this lake is made up of lots of inlets and bays when travelling down the interstate you pass over one bay 17 miles later you pass over another bay then about 35 miles later you pass over it again. If you find Newt's lake on google maps then move west and slightly north you will find lake Hartwell then compare sizes it will give an idea of size.

This was the first thing I did when reading Newt post. After traveling the carolinas Georgia I realised that I had no idea of scale of things living in the uk where travelling in 20-30 miles in any direction will bring you to a town.

Newt you probably had the lake to yourself? Aren't most boats put away for winter after Labour day?

The ski & swimming boats often are although the weather is still warm enough I imagine it will be later this year. The fishermen will be out all winter though.

We drove to Spartanburg yesterday but business, not pleasure.

If you ever get over this way again, let me know. It would be fun to get together and do some fishing. About 6-7 people I "met" on Anglers' Net have visited and fished and my late wife & I spent two great weeks in the UK staying and fishing with people we knew only from the forum. I am just south of Rock Hill, SC (in Edgemoor) if you want to get things located.

The people we met & those that have visited were all great people and I figured if I ever got a baddun, I could always toss him overboard and let him swim back. :D

We are expecting some strong storms in a few hours but they are moving pretty fast and we should have some cooler & dryer air after the pass so .. a mixed bag.

wx-x.jpg

Bought a 50lb bag of range cubes yesterday (me for carp & catfish), 50 lb bag of catfish pellets (Bobbi - to grind & use as a pack bait base) & 50 lbs of alfalfa cubes (not sure exactly how they will be used since it turns out they float & dissolve). Still have plenty of pops - going to coat some with marmite & some with coconut oil then a day or 2 in the sun for both - so we are both ready for some serious fishing as the weather cools a bit.

As a side note, the Arrowhead Mills brand of puffed corn makes excellent pops and you can buy them online for less than $2 per bag. I found 12 bags for $19.95 on Amazon but that may be a bit too much to use in under 5-6 years. :D :D

Newt,

Have Bobbi grind the alalfa too. It will sink when mixed then. Alalfa is a breaker and works good with dirt. Make method balls. Did you get Purina Aqua Max #6? What kind of catfish chow?

I went to the MO River. I didn't have much luck from the bank but a couple boat guys did well with the blue cats (77, 74, 56, 12) [all released]. I was fishing the boat dock area and got to see them. BTW, they even took them back to the area where they were caught (about 3 miles) to be released. Not by the dock. That's unusual for this part of the country. Guess there's hope.

Phone

She usually uses Purina Aqua Max #6 but yesterday's haul was a Southern States product (should have checked the label - packaging looked so similar we didn't even look until I read your post). We'll do some in-kitchen testing and if it doesn't behave right, another bait shopping trip is in order.

Thanks for the alfalfa tip. I'm also thinking about putting an alfalfa slice on the hair with the range cube to get some quick food in the water. These cubes have a fairish amount of straw in them so it really should break well. She normally just adds a few intact pellets to the ground up mix but maybe no need with the green stuff added.