Kit

Sportsman

Three of us are just leaving for a couple of days session on a carp/cat/sturgeon lake.

We have just filled a large trailer (I use it to move my Kubota tractor around) and the back of a Volvo estate.

Where does it all come from?

When I used to go fly fishing it was a rod in my hand, two spools of leader and two fly boxes in my waistcoat.

What do you take for a session and do you really need it?

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more I fish now the less I seem to be taking with me. I now take the absolute bare minimum I can get away with. Its surprising how much weight 10 leads can add to your bag when you have to walk a long distance down a river for example. I really do take the minimum and will take out any floats or terminal gear that I wont use to keep clutter to a minimum also. I hate looking through a tackle box to find something small and having all sorts of bits and pieces falling out everywhere. Maybe I have OCD :D

I used to lug two or three rods, two reels, brolley, bank sticks, chair, net with large pole, large bag full of bait and many other items which weighed a tonne after a 20 minute walk down the river. These days I am fed up of it and now carry one rod & reel, a klobba vest with various items in it, the heaviest being a 500ml bottle of water and a net attached to an extendable tuff stick bankstick. Its a much nicer way to fish and encourages me to be much more mobile than I would be if I had to pack all the gear I used to. If I am lure fishing I carry even less. I sometimes see fellas with barrows walking down the river and wonder how on earth they need all the stuff they are carrying.

I find now that I stand in the shed and try to think about what fishing I will be doing and plan better so that I dont have to take things I may not use.

I think long stay stillwater fishing is a different matter entirely though. You often find you need a lot more gear than usual such as a cooker, sleeping bag, bivvy etc etc. As light as I travel on the river I found at Wingham that I had to pack an awful lot of gear all of which got used.

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

For a two nighter.

1 rod bag for up to 4 made up rods, landing net and bank sticks.

2 holdalls, 1 for tackle & bait and 1 for food & water, cooking & lighting gear, a change of cloths and a sleeping bag.

1 bed chair.

1 bivvy.

and 1 barrow that it all go's on in one go with the rod bag on my back.

ps, don't forget the bog roll.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Its surprising how much weight 10 leads can add to your bag

No its not if all 10 are 2oz thats 20oz etc etc etc :P

But like you say - they all add up - I sea fish the aerials or further along the dirty wall in suffolk and its a good hour to hour and a half walk.

Now - how many 4, 5, 6, 7 or even 8oz breakaways do you need to take as know you will lose a few during a session???

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Medium size Shimano backpack

Shimano stc tribal take down rod 7'

Avanti 12' travel rod

Landing net handle, telescopic.

Stink bag with landing net,un hooking mat and chair all in it.

Everything else I need fits in back pack! That's it! Maybe half a boot load :)

If I'm really cutting back:

Mad dog fanny pack

3 pen rods ( 1 extreme and 2 goliaths)

Rear drag reel, and centrepin reel

Small tackle kit in plastic box, quarter pint bait tin, various odds and sods in other pouches of fanny pack.

Telescopic landing net

Shakespeare folding travel chair.

I've mastered minimal tackle! :)

Edited by kirisute

i take quite a bit coarse fishing i'd weighed my tackle box and that comes in at a heavy 32kg then theres my landing net keepnet, rods, gas stove, kettle, bait, groundbait, food, coffee, sugar, milk, frying pan, saucepan, umbrella, waterproofs, spare clothes, boots, wellies, and finally my phone, probably carry around 60 - 70kg in one 12 hour session glad i've got a trolley now :D

swinghook8.gif

"You hold the future in your hands, teach catch and release"

My Blog:- A Fishermans Dream

I sit and type in awe at the amount of stuff you are taking, have you got a boat or submarine, a few gallons of booze and the kitchen sink on the trailer as well?

With that much gear and tackle you are going to spend more time packing and unpacking than you are fishing, do yourself a favour and lighten it up dramatically. Remember if its not fun why are you doing it?

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Who said it wasn't fun?

We took for 3 people for 3 days

Fishing:

3 large rod holdalls with 6 rods each (4 fishing + spod+marker and reels for each + spares)

Assorted bank sticks and rod pods

3 rucksacks of tackle

Unhooking mats

Landing nets

Lamps, torches and spare batteries

Bait:

20Kg pellet

10Kg maize

10Kg boilies

Assorted tins of hemp, sweetcorn etc

Personal comfort:

2 bivvies

1 STI day shelter

Sleeping bags

3 bed chairs

3 chairs

2 gas cookers and spare gas

pots, pans and kettles

Water. beverages and milk

Cups and plates with cutlery

Food (lots :))

My Sony book reader

There is not much there that I would want to reduce.

Bear in mind that we could drive to the swim.

Some years ago when I was younger and fitter I used to go trout fishing in the N.W. Highlands of Scotland. We would walk into the mountains, several hours over steep and rough terrain carrying everything we needed to camp plus all fishing equipment so I do understand about travelling light when necessary.

For this session it wasn't necessary.

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

WOW! So much stuff, more like a picnic come camping holiday, than a bit of fishing.

You did not mention serviettes or napkins, nor the cook and butler. ...hehehe...

Sooner you than me. Chairs and beds, let me guess a generator and electric blankets too.

What with packing and unpacking and setting up did you actually have any time to fish? Did you in fact actually catch any fish?

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God