Stupid

Sportsman

Just got back from an overnight session on a Carp/Cat/Sturgeon lake. Was going to stay for the weekend but back pain forced me home.

Not my best night.

First of all I was false casting to clear any bedding problems on the spool and managed to cast straight into the trees on the other side of the lake. Managed to get the tackle back minus lead after some serious swearing.

Moved on to spombing in some pellet. First cast my spomb parted company with the leader and sailed off into the distance on its own. Must learn to test knots BEFORE use.

Decided to fish closer in and put out some pellet with my home made baiting spoon.

Tuna boilie on the hook over the halibut pellet had the desired result and and the middle rod screamed off. As I lunged to pick it up I managed to knock it off and the tip got stuck under the rod next to it. Fiddling around managed to get the line wrapped around the bite alarm. While this is going on a Sturgeon around 30-40Lb came out of the water like a polaris missile and shed the hook.

Boilie still on the hair so on with a PVA bag of pellet and out into the same place.

Nothing happened all night. My mate had a 19lb carp but that was it.

At 07.45 the same rod went off and I was briefly attached to a very large carp.

At 10.15 the same rod is away again. Very heavy fish and pulling back very hard. I didn't see it but my mate reckons he saw a catfish tail.

After around 3 minutes I get my hook back, minus fish.

NOW I decide to check the hook

It had been opened up, not much but enough. <_<

I remember a top snooker player once saying that the difference between a professional and an amateur is that the pro chalks his cue BEFORE he mis-cues. I know what he meant :P

BTW I got my spomb back in the morning. It very obligingly drifted in to the next swim :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Sorry to hear about your back and I hope it is better now.

Perhaps you hurt it lugging all the gear and kit you take with you, best advice cut down on the weight of gear you take.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Sorry to hear about your back and I hope it is better now.

Perhaps you hurt it lugging all the gear and kit you take with you, best advice cut down on the weight of gear you take.

No, I hurt my back lifting patients when I was a nurse, many years ago.

think we all have these days:

i went and fished a new set of lakes over at Dents last bank holiday.

within two casts i was up a tree, another cast had me hooked onto the lillies i was fishing next to and numerous bites resulted in misses and my setup hurtling into the trees next to the swim!

i gaveup after an hour and moved swims....no issues after that and had a few decent fish out. :)

call me mad as wheels on a tomato but sometimes its just gonna be one of them days and a swim move changes your luck! LOL

No, I hurt my back lifting patients when I was a nurse, many years ago.

Ouch that is not funny, you need to take care of any long term injury pretty carefully.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

think we all have these days:

i went and fished a new set of lakes over at Dents last bank holiday.

within two casts i was up a tree, another cast had me hooked onto the lillies i was fishing next to and numerous bites resulted in misses and my setup hurtling into the trees next to the swim!

i gaveup after an hour and moved swims....no issues after that and had a few decent fish out. :)

call me mad as wheels on a tomato but sometimes its just gonna be one of them days and a swim move changes your luck! LOL

The stupid part was not checking the hook after I lost the first fish

On a plus side - If you had played and landed one of them fish your back would probably hurt a bit more ;)

We all have bad days and make the occasion bad decision or choice now and again (or in my case alot lately - forgot landing net last week) - if we didnt we would be called robots.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I think you want to leave the special roll-ups at home mate. They aren't helping your fishing at all.

;)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...