Mirror Carp removal

wotnobivvy

I have to remove the mirror carp from my pond as they are geting too big. aggressive and muddying the water. I have been given some fish transportation bags and boxes by the the local World of Water who will take them back. I have two problems. The first that I was told that I would have 20-30 minutes safe time for the transportation, and it will take me 20 minutes with no holdups to do that. The second is that the fish have seemed to realised that a move is in the air and have kept themselves out of sight, making netting a tricky job. We have spent the last 4 hours without success. I think that from the first netting to getting the fourth and last out of the pond will exceed my time slot. Ihave got my large specimen net suspended over the pond (which as about 4ft deep) and intend transferring each one into it as I get them. The net itself is immediately in front of the waterfall so they will get plenty of flow. I am hoping that they wont jump out as the rim of the net is about 6in above the water. Am I on the right lines here

TIA

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Wotnob,

In the US, by UK standards, we are experts on abusing carp. I don't want to "pi$$ you off" before you read my suggestion so I'll pass on the obvious comment about the carp - "realised that a move is in the air".

Air is the subject. I've moved a lot of show carp. If you are worried you can more than double the amount of time you'll have with a bit of ice and a tank of oxygen. Don't refrigerate the carp - just cool the water slightly - maybe 5 degrees (not sure how much really).

Put the fish in their bag; extract as much air as possible. Now reinflate the bag with pure oxygen and seal tightly.

Ohh, I use pond water and let the carp "settle" in the net before beginning the process.

If you would like to "read" this suggestion rather than listen to ole Phone the place to go is on the koi sites and probably ask those who participate in their "show circut".

The scariest move I've participated in was an "insured" move of a show koi valued at $225,000 from SFO to TYO. Came off fine (22 hrs).

Phone

Edited by Phone

Dick Walker (allegedly, just put that in to be safe) used to transport carp in a wet sack from Herefordshire to Hertfordshire, no motorways in those days. How long did that take?

Dick Walker (allegedly, just put that in to be safe) used to transport carp in a wet sack from Herefordshire to Hertfordshire, no motorways in those days. How long did that take?

I've used a similar technique for transporting crucians and tench, with maybe thirty pounds of fish at a time in a big and sturdy plastic bag. No casualties out of several trips and hundreds of fish. Journey time was about 20-30 minutes.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

i once found a carp alive and well after a day in a plastic bag alone (it was the winter though if it makes a difference) whether though it got brain damage and couldn't play the piano any more is unknown ,tasted foul as they do! but i ate it

perhaps the time criteria is price related for resale possibilities ;) floating at an odd angle doesn't get the top doller

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

It's not so much the move that worries me now, it's keeping them in the landing net for a long period. Onec in there I can feed them ok. They seem to have gone AWOL at the moment so it looks as if it will be a long job to capture them all. The pond is 50% full with lilies so my captue area is limited. I may have to remove the lilies first, as the pond area is 14' by 8'

The concern is about the depletion of oxygen and build up of waste in the bag - the clock doesn't start ticking until you bag them, they will be fine in the net. Depending how big the fish and the bag are, 20-30 mins is on the safe side, they should last longer than that. The cooler the water is when you move them, the lower the risk.

Thanks for the information guys. I will just have to be patient due to domestic duties, but it looks as if the plants may have to be removed to stop them hiding :rolleyes:

If you have a car then do what I did when I moved address and moved all of my fish, no fatalities.

Buy a large plastic container with a lid from Wilkinsons.

Buy an air pump, same as used for a large aquarium, pipe and large airstone.

Buy a Fluval water filter also to create flow in the container.

Put holes in the lid of adequate size to allow for air stone pipe and fluval power cable.

Buy a power converter that allows you to use a three pin plug or plug from the cigarette lighter socket. You can run the pump and Fluval from the cigarette lighter socket.

Fill the container the 3/4, using your own pond water. This is vital as it reduces the risk of stress.

Run the air pump and Fluval for 20 minutes before adding your fish.

Add the fish and seal the lid so there is no leakage.

Travel freely to your destination.

My journey time for each run was 45-60 minutes and all of my fish survived and survive to this day.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to let you know we managed it it two trips. The world of Water gave me some fish carrying bags, large polythene bags the size if bin liners. We removed the water lilies and bottom plants, so they had nowhere to hide. ie had to chase them around the pond using 2 nets to trap them. They were bloody fast and cute, so we decided to get 2 at a time. They are now gone to another home and the pond is becoming much clearer. I am in the process of vacuuming the rubbish out, then we will replant the lilies. Thanks everyone for their tips, much appreciated. I still feel that they should carry a health warning :)