Perch

DarrenBranks

Tonight I was fishing my local canal, i came across a shoal of about 30-40. Feeding lose maggot over my cast was productive but they started to turn away only at the hook bait. I tested everything, could they see the line I asked or the shots or was it the way my maggot was hooked but came to no conclusion. So I'm now left with not a clue to what could be causing it. Any suggestions?

Thanks Darren

If you are consantly feeding maggot you shoud put all of the shot at the base of the float so the maggot hookbait falls slowly and as naturally as possible at the same rate as the loosefeed.

You should also get line with a thinner diameter, or scale down your mainline to about 2lb.

If the shoal are really fussy you may want to cast over them and carefully draw the float over them so you don't spook them.

If the shoal are really really fussy you could even try freelining maggots or worms but you may have difficulty freelining maggots at any distance more than a few feet.

Best of luck

Edited by davedave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I would try no weight except under the float and a size 8 weight or smaller about 8" (200mm) from the hook.

Maybe switch to a smaller hook say a size 16 barbless.

how about a small worm or say one third of a lob.

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Is your hook set to the same depth as the Perch are feeding?

I would use a 1.5lb monofilament hooklength.

If all else fails switch to a bright gilt size 18 hook.

I personally have never experienced Perch feeding and not taking the hookbait. So I am somewhat puzzled.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Is your hook set to the same depth as the Perch are feeding?

I would use a 1.5lb monofilament hooklength.

If all else fails switch to a bright gilt size 18 hook.

I personally have never experienced Perch feeding and not taking the hookbait. So I am somewhat puzzled.

I'm in the same boat here I can't see anything wrong with what I'm doing and anywhere else they take hook bait no probs, confused.

Darren,

If your line is 1.5lb brown fly leader I'd bet a nickle you have a small artifical with you. Have you jigged or pulled that through the shoal? Not likely 30 or 40 feeding fish in a single shoal are all line shy. Something is missing from your explaination. How big are the fish?

Phone

Darren,

If your line is 1.5lb brown fly leader I'd bet a nickle you have a small artifical with you. Have you jigged or pulled that through the shoal? Not likely 30 or 40 feeding fish in a single shoal are all line shy. Something is missing from your explaination. How big are the fish?

Phone

Well phone your right I've tried running a few shads and meps through them, even jelly worms. The fish are the biggest that I've seen in the water. As of now when I throw in lose feed they hit it instantly but just watch my hook bait fall (at the same pace as the free offerings) what I'm actually going to do is video this and post a link for it tomorrow. Hopefully someone will point out my wrong doing. I'm actually considering your post a while back on hook metals being a repellent, but it's not set in stone as the other perch on the canals take it fine?.

Tonight I was fishing my local canal, i came across a shoal of about 30-40. Feeding lose maggot over my cast was productive but they started to turn away only at the hook bait. I tested everything, could they see the line I asked or the shots or was it the way my maggot was hooked but came to no conclusion. So I'm now left with not a clue to what could be causing it. Any suggestions?

Thanks Darren

Having watched various species feeding in clear water this year I can only conclude that they can see your hook and line.

I would suggest a very light 0.09mm drennan flurocarbon hooklength with a size 20 finewire hook and a single maggot - use a light 3x10 / 4x10 or 4x12 pole rig (depending on conditions) set with a string of styles shirtbutton style or if using a wagger the smallest canal grey or stillwater blue set with shot same as the pole rig.

Failing you could trya 1/4oz bomb with a long tail/hooklength and a worm injected with air.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

If all else fails I would go for an ultra fine 1lb hooklength and fish caster but bury the hook in the caster. That way they cant possibly see it and an ultrafine line should be next to invisible.

It is odd because having fished for perch quite a lot one thing I know about them is that when you have fed them into a frenzy they will hit anything that breaks the surface film with real abandon. Maybe consider reducing the amount of free offerings so that they compete more with each other. They tend to pay much less attention when they are trying to beat each other to the bait.

One last thing to mention is beware of smoking or insect repellants as they may pick that up from your hookbait as you tend to handle it more than the free offerings. That would certainly put them off.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk