Just 100 cod left in North Sea

Elton

A twenty pound Cod (11 to 15 years old) is what was seen as a middle aged Cod in the North Sea years ago still is in parts of the North Atlantic and the Norwegian Sea. What Cefas are saying is that there a few real adults the old 30 to 40lb + lunkers (18 to 23 years old) that’s the sort of size that was the norm caught by RSA around the IOW when I was a lad. You might see half a dozen caught this year but where are the forty pounders that they used to get?

I might mention Paul that the man sucking up to you is the same guy who wanted a front row seat in court if and when you get nicked for being a party to the sale of fish from a charter boat.

This discussion about numbers of old cod is totally irrelavent and little more than a pointless red herring in my opinion. The damage to large cod was done by the gill net fleets during the 80's and 90's who were wreck netting. As for the media article this was typical sensasionalist journalism which picks on a couple of points from a report or briefing. Callum Roberts I have little time for as he loves to support these ridiculous attempts at journalism in his mission to make a name for himself. He should stick to Marine biology which I am sure he is very good at and stop his stupid mission to destroy the fishing industry at every opportunity.

The survival of cod will be far more about a strong year class with low levels of juvenile predation and fishing mortality which usually happens every 20 years or so.

A twenty pound Cod (11 to 15 years old) is what was seen as a middle aged Cod in the North Sea years ago still is in parts of the North Atlantic and the Norwegian Sea. What Cefas are saying is that there a few real adults the old 30 to 40lb + lunkers (18 to 23 years old) that’s the sort of size that was the norm caught by RSA around the IOW when I was a lad. You might see half a dozen caught this year but where are the forty pounders that they used to get?

Wrong Bob

A quote from the Trawler Photo furum says:

The Sunday Times chose to class an adult cod as aged over 13. But that's not merely an adult cod. It's an ancient cod.

"Cod start to mature at ages one and two and they're fully mature by six," says Dr Carl O'Brien, the UK's chief fisheries science adviser.

So we shouldn't be surprised that there are very few cod aged over 13 (in fact fewer than 60 have been recorded in the North Sea in past 30 years) just as we shouldn't be surprised there aren't very many humans over 100.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hummm?

There appear (in my brief research of the "ole internet") to be more than a couple races of the Atlantic Cod (Gadus morhua) that make BOTH statements true.

I guess it would be to easy to "point out" a document you all universally agree on for me to read?

Phone

Hummm?

There appear (in my brief research of the "ole internet") to be more than a couple races of the Atlantic Cod (Gadus morhua) that make BOTH statements true.

I guess it would be to easy to "point out" a document you all universally agree on for me to read?

Phone

Here is what a real 50lb+ lunker looks like this was caught in Norway and was the size I saw around the IOW when I was in my late teens.

areallunker.jpg

Then we have a 35lb+ fish caught near the IOW in 2002 this would be from the North Sea and having moved to the IOW spawning grounds.

image2530.jpg

The best you will see there now are fish to 25lb rarely do you get one over that weight.

jerycod.jpg

The stock is supposedly under recovery so who knows what the future holds.

Edited by Bob Shotter
Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg

every winter there are reports of 30lb ders being caught as they move down the channel. And your point is? looks like you are finding it difficult to find a platform to find support Quote: It has been suggested by the BBC that The Sunday Times front page headline Only 100 Adult Cod Left in the North Sea, when the correct answer is something like 21 million, could be the most inaccurate headline in history.

As for 50lb ders in the channel as opposed to commercial plundering have you accounted for climate change. Plenty of bass moving north. Your the expert btw.

Here's a couple of folks who are finding it hard to accept your writings, at present it appears to be one way conversations, is there another platform that you have found to attempt to discredit them?

Paul Douglas But Mr Shotter you know full well the lies that you told about me which were only given to me via the draft report whilst I was away from home,,,,,,rest assured there is much more coming your way. As for your opinion of course your allowed that but as you pushed your CIFCA apointment down everyones throat remember your threats to myself and other commercial fishermen??? Well everythig you spout you spout as an IFCA member as far as I'm concerned. As for the other complaints well that is just another example of how "not fit for purpose" IFCAs are and the cornish one in particular (no supprise there) with you involved,,,Is it not a good thing that people are investigated where wrongdoing is reported? I seem to remember you shouting for just that re anglers selling their catches etc...........................

Ron Angel Disgusting that an IFCA representative should be threatning commercial fishermen within his position.That in itself needs investigating.If the CIFCA condone it,then they need a full and thorough investigation as in all honesty it could be construde they are abusing there powers.......A can of worms opening here.

Ron Angel You haven't got a clue about me Snotter so don't even try to speculate what I have or haven't done....You on the other hand have proved what you have achieved....Nothing other than to alienate everybody that has had the misfortune of having anything to do with you.As for Chartering Part time,too true old fruit.Why the hell would I want to put up with people like you on a full time basis?.................

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

every winter there are reports of 30lb ders being caught as they move down the channel. And your point is? looks like you are finding it difficult to find a platform to find support Quote: It has been suggested by the BBC that The Sunday Times front page headline Only 100 Adult Cod Left in the North Sea, when the correct answer is something like 21 million, could be the most inaccurate headline in history.

As for 50lb ders in the channel as opposed to commercial plundering have you accounted for climate change. Plenty of bass moving north. Your the expert btw.

Here's a couple of folks who are finding it hard to accept your writings, at present it appears to be one way conversations, is there another platform that you have found to attempt to discredit them?

Paul Douglas But Mr Shotter you know full well the lies that you told about me which were only given to me via the draft report whilst I was away from home,,,,,,rest assured there is much more coming your way. As for your opinion of course your allowed that but as you pushed your CIFCA apointment down everyones throat remember your threats to myself and other commercial fishermen??? Well everythig you spout you spout as an IFCA member as far as I'm concerned. As for the other complaints well that is just another example of how "not fit for purpose" IFCAs are and the cornish one in particular (no supprise there) with you involved,,,Is it not a good thing that people are investigated where wrongdoing is reported? I seem to remember you shouting for just that re anglers selling their catches etc...........................

Ron Angel Disgusting that an IFCA representative should be threatning commercial fishermen within his position.That in itself needs investigating.If the CIFCA condone it,then they need a full and thorough investigation as in all honesty it could be construde they are abusing there powers.......A can of worms opening here.

Ron Angel You haven't got a clue about me Snotter so don't even try to speculate what I have or haven't done....You on the other hand have proved what you have achieved....Nothing other than to alienate everybody that has had the misfortune of having anything to do with you.As for Chartering Part time,too true old fruit.Why the hell would I want to put up with people like you on a full time basis?.................

There could be any number of reasons that Bass are moving further north as are Trigger Fish and a few others inc their food source. Global Warming is one theory a shift in the Gulf Stream another who knows.

What we do know is that over fishing in the North Sea is why the Cod stock suffered we also know that the a genetic change has taken place as a result and North Sea Cod now start to reproduce at an earlier age, which means smaller fish with fewer eggs are now keeping the stock going. The scientific term is fishing from the top down, go read that Ray Hilborn book “Overfishing: What Everyone Needs to Know” the title says it all.

Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg