bait options

Phone

All,

I'm just wondering why - if chopped worms work - I don't see more instances of UK anglers using chopped organ meat?

Over here, the two are quite in sync with each other.

Phone

I'll answer you with a question Phone.

If chopped worms work, why bother using "chopped organ meat"?

Worms are easier to get, not as messy.

Having said that, I have used chopped liver, and minced meat, with liver or steak on the hook, and caught chub.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I'll answer you with a question Phone.

If chopped worms work, why bother using "chopped organ meat"?

Worms are easier to get, not as messy.

Having said that, I have used chopped liver, and minced meat, with liver or steak on the hook, and caught chub.

John.

Fair point Phone - I suspect it has to do with nothing more than a basic lack of creativity coupled with the perceived 'ickiness' of dealing with chopped 'organ meat' (by which I take it you are referring to what we would refer to as 'offal' - guts etc, perhaps throw in the occasional liver etc?)

John ... where on earth do you find it easier to get worms, compared to visiting the average butcher? - not to mention cost if you are actually buying worms, cos cheap they ain't!

gozzer,

I'm glad Peter ask rather than me.

(Are you sure I'm the antagonistic one in our discussions?)

Peter,

Yes, exactly what I'm talking about. Often even "fish parts" although fish parts would certainly be a "different" choice.

Phone

All,

I'm just wondering why - if chopped worms work - I don't see more instances of UK anglers using chopped organ meat?

Phone

For me; it would mean catching too many eels.

I'll try anything which will help to avoid catching eels. :ph34r:

John ... where on earth do you find it easier to get worms, compared to visiting the average butcher? - not to mention cost if you are actually buying worms, cos cheap they ain't!

The end of my garden Peter.

It's nearer than my local butcher, and I can have enough worms for a days fishing, in less time than it would take me to get to the butchers and back. (they are free as well). :)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

ayjay,

Ahh - eels. I saw one once in Missouri - 1955 I think? Eels probably occur occasionally in every large stream in Missouri, except where its movements are impeded by dams. The American eel population in Missouri has been reduced by large dams, which restrict its ability to migrate.

I guess I should explain. The Missouri River and the Mississippi River are the only two rivers with saltwater access before you run into hydroelectric dams.

You know, distribution and abundance of eel is difficult to determine, since eels are rarely caught with standard fish-surveying equipment (electro fishing).

Well, enough of that. On subject, we use tons and tons of chicken livers. I'd say they are the "go to" bait for many casual anglers. Experienced and serious PERCH anglers use a lot of fish eyeballs.

Phone