Trip to the Wye

jaypeegolf

I'm making a trip to the Wye tomorrow, between Ross and Monmouth, hoping to target some nice chub and bonus barbel on the float.

I made some tentative enquiries to a 'well known river angler' who suggested that pellets were the way forward.

Whilst I'm in no doubt that this method has reaped rewards to someone with far better skills that me I'm feeling that I need to take a 'familiar' bait, maggots/casters with me in case I can't make the pellets work for me!

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

Cheers

JP

I'm making a trip to the Wye tomorrow, between Ross and Monmouth, hoping to target some nice chub and bonus barbel on the float.

I made some tentative enquiries to a 'well known river angler' who suggested that pellets were the way forward.

Whilst I'm in no doubt that this method has reaped rewards to someone with far better skills that me I'm feeling that I need to take a 'familiar' bait, maggots/casters with me in case I can't make the pellets work for me!

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

Cheers

JP

I would say if you want to use pellets then maybe soft hooker pellets would be the best choice as the chub might just nip at them as they often do and if you use a hair they often miss the hook. Personally though I would use a big bunch of maggots and feed maggots at the same time. Always works a treat.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I was due to fish the Wye next week, but the trip's fallen through :(

Not having fished the Wye before, I was planning on laying down a bed of hemp, casters and some luncheon-meat and feed mashed bread.

Hook-baits I was going to try was luncheon meat, cheese-paste, bread-flake and lobs.

Now I don't know if I would have been on the right track or not. :(

(ps I've got a couple of tubs of worms and casters in the fridge I won't be needing now if anyone wants to pick them up. )

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I was due to fish the Wye next week, but the trip's fallen through :(

Not having fished the Wye before, I was planning on laying down a bed of hemp, casters and some luncheon-meat and feed mashed bread.

Hook-baits I was going to try was luncheon meat, cheese-paste, bread-flake and lobs.

Now I don't know if I would have been on the right track or not. :(

(ps I've got a couple of tubs of worms and casters in the fridge I won't be needing now if anyone wants to pick them up. )

Depending on the stretches you were going to fish worms may not be allowed. They are not allowed on any WUF stretches

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

JP

I'm very much an amateur for this, but when I first went to the Wye I was amazed what a big and powerful river it was. The banks are not always very accessible, the flow is fast, and the river is wide. Sure, there are some pegs you can float fish, but there are others where you need to ledger, and you need heavy feeders - 2-3oz.

Also, on the Wye and Usk Foundation stretches I seem to remember maggot is banned as well as worm (because of the trout and salmon) but you may not be fishing those stretches, I realise.

john clarke

Worms,

I read your "go to" site. Worms are mentioned along with shrimp and prawns. You don't reckon they are limiting the forbidden choice to include lugworms do you? I mean 'ell, a maggot is a worm. The official definition of worms include insect larvae - i.e. maggots.

Tench, see worm's site. Dates are posted for maggots.

Phone

Worms,

I read your "go to" site. Worms are mentioned along with shrimp and prawns. You don't reckon they are limiting the forbidden choice to include lugworms do you? I mean 'ell, a maggot is a worm. The official definition of worms include insect larvae - i.e. maggots.

Tench, see worm's site. Dates are posted for maggots.

Phone

No Phone, worms are banned because of the potential for catching Atlantic Salmon. maggots are banned for half the year because of the risk of catching the Salmon Parr.

On a slightly more scientific basis, a maggot is the larval stage of a fly, a worm is an adult worm...!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!